What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What Plants Hide MJ Best?

reddy1

ICMag Donor
there is a tree called the ghetto palm, stink tree, chinese sumac.

aial1.gif

aial1b.jpg

these are native to china and have invaded most temperate US climates. they are extremely invasive and would cover a major US city if we all disappeared. to us, they can be very useful. there are lots of urban praries, with weeds and sumacs. they kill other plants and leave open spaces for lots of sun. they typically grow in areas that people don't give a fuck about like urban decay, industrial or out in the sticks.

best part is they stink. run against one and you will smell. distinct smell that i can not describe. most people avoid coming close to or touching them.

poison sumac is also great for keeping people away. found in the midwest and eastern states around wetlands. they will fuck you up if you touch them. you can only hope a ripper falls into a grove of these. USE CAUTION. from wiki According to some botanists, poison sumac (Toxicodendron vernix) is the most toxic plant species in the United States
test-sumac.jpg

these are invase plants and good land use would see the elimination of them but if nobody cares to eradicate them, how are they going to eradicate mine?

Last edited:
G

guest123

in the part of australia i am , and mostly along the east coast , we use lantana to grow in ..
it grows where theres a lot of light , and apparently is good for the soil ..
aswell there is a plant that grows around these parts called stinking roger , looks very similar to herb the way it grows , easy to hide a plant or 2 around them ....
most folks eyes arent as keen as u might think , and its pretty easy to disguise a few plants once u realise how to hide them in plain view .. hehehe

Reactions: ost
G

Hi cfl king, good topic and one that can be much more involved than many growers understand.

I see the topic broken into 2 categories.

The first being hiding plants that are in the back yard garden and the garden selections suggested above are excellent for that application.

The second area is that of concealment/ companion plantings for the OD gorilla grower. This gorilla approach is seldom discussed so if you dont mind, I would like to offer these suggestions:

Gorilla plantings and gorilla site development can be very effective. The growth habits of garden cultivars and natural plants provide many opportunities to propagate and use these plants for cammo in the OD.

Plantings that create a gorilla site: Many times, I have come across good grow sites but they had some problem such as being visible from one certain direction, perhaps not enough vegetion. The gorilla grower can modify his planting site by plantings of either garden cultivars or native plantings.This is especially true of growers that use the same sites over year after year as I do. Look at that site with an eye towards the future and ask yourself what plantings would improve the site by either blocking the view or cammoflaging the plant.

Collecting native strains is the primary approach to gorilla companion planting. Vicious, vigourous vines, thorns, stinging nettles, all can be collected from seed in the fall and started in cups along with your seedlings in the spring. If its too late for this year, most will root from a cutting if you find a plant that will benefit you. Often, I will cut small scrub trees, make a triangle with them and then plant one of the vines that grow locally, has impalling thorns and is impenatrable in with my cut trees. By August, the vines/thorns have covered the tree piles and unless you know where the door is ...... My plants are in the middle of the triangle . Each year i grow there, I add to the site.

Native shrubs such as wild honeysuckle stay green late into the fall are drought resistant and are the first plants in the lancscape to leaf in the spring. When growing purple plants, I will mix in poke weed which is purple with purple berries. Wild cane is perhaps the ultimate cannibas companion plant. It stays evergreen, looks even from a short distance, just like it color, leaf structure and all. The stuff is easily obtained and grows voraciously in many cooler climates.Some tree seedlings can provide good cammo. Transplanting young cedars and pines can improve stealth. Root pruning of the small trees keeps them small over time. Poplar trees grow from seed to as much as 20' in their first year. Prune it and its 8' tall and 20' wide. By fall, your plants can be hidden in the middle. The Aussse tree. com. My buddy has 4 of these seedlings as they are to behave the same way.

Finding, propagating and utilizing natural plantings in your area will greatly improve your site. One word of caution. Make sure the plant you are propagating is a native plant. Plants such as Kudzu, vinca, viburnum, and burning bush just to name a few, have self sown in many areas and you don't want to contribute to that problem. Some study is required

Garden cultivars: Many of these can be utilized in a grow area. A grower needs to become familiar with their planting zone and what plants will grow well, but any simple garden primer should provide a list of such plants. Many will grow to 6' in one season and return the next.

Eulialha Grass
Heavenly bamboo
Tartian Honesuckle

Some vines that work well in Gorilla grows:
Ablelia
Japanese honeysuckle
Trumpet vine
Silver lace.

Silver lace, abelia and trumpet vine are rampant and can cover a 400 sq ft area in one season and dont self sow into the enviroment.

Sorry to ramble on, but ive studied this for some time and you never see discussions about it.

sb

Last edited:

jmn2dmb

One problem I am noticing at least for the outdoor gorillas is that we are planting things that look alot like cannabis, so if there is a flyover there is actually a greater chance someone will see something that looks like cannabis and come take a look, in a back yard your probably fine is you have a small plant but if your plant is big and the cover plant is not as big or is too obvious people may once again become curious... I recently saw on cops a california man was growing in his back yard and had the plants taller and hanging over the fence all he did was put little plastic flowers in the plant to try and camaflouge it, but it was immediatly noticed by the coppers and ripped... IMHO if your in a back yard with neighbors or anything like that keep them small and concealable with maybe a guard plant blocking people in the area from seeing it all together

Retardo Motabon

Seenyourmember:0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I second Dignan's nod to Cleome's. Every one of my friends that saw them in our yard before they bloomed said what are you doing? Smells skunky! you cant put these here! Once going the bloom travels up and up. They spread in each directions over the summer as well. Very scratchy plant, yet airy enough to let light in. The bloom will definitely steal the attention. I'm planting them again this year.

Jon

What would you guys think about a stealth photo contest? It was mentioned in another thread and I think its a great idea. Dont know what the prize would be. Maybe pride. Maybe genetics? Whatever it is I'm sure it would be fun.

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
That's a fine idea, Jon. I like it.

I definitely agree with jmn2dmb's point above. For guerrilla growing, I don't companion plant, but instead try to use the native flora to hide my plants. I'll purposely tuck each of my plants right up next to/between, even inside of, the native vegetation.

And even in a home situation, I think you want something that looks similar to cannabis, but definitely not something that looks LIKE cannabis. The cleomes, for example... they look enough like cannabis that when the human eye looks them over, your mind kinda goes... "hmmm... five bladed dark green leaf... that's nice... oooH! look at those incredible flowers!!"

Meanwhile, a cannabis plant 1/2 the size of the cleomes (which get 3-5' tall) sits down low and nobody suspects it's even there b/c they're too busy ogling the incredible flowers.

Cleomes are hardy as hell, too. Invasive, in fact. And they're self-seeding.

A particular variety is native to this area, which is how I came to know them. They tend to like shady areas, in ravines along with aspens... not the best place for sun-loving cannabis plants. But in a home situation, you can find the perfect spot for them and grow some smallish cannabis plants within the cleome patch.

Dry Hot Area.

Dry Hot Area.

I am in a dry hot area. So the surrounding native vegetation gets less and less green as summer wears on. The last thing I want to do is add more green to the area. Lots of oaks to plant under but I figure that is where they are going to look hardest. I try and put them in not the obvious places.

joe pieweed..it grows tal;l and flowers late into fall...

i also use willow branches..shove them in the dirt around your grow and they will root in fast...

herb weedmen

Last edited:

Chrono Batch

Another important thing to keep in mind is when the camouflage plant that you are using dies. Last year i used lavender to cover mine, and it worked great until the lavender died in early October and left christmas trees sticking out of my garden patch. This year ill be sure to find something that lasts until after harvest to avoid having them exposed when the other plants die off.

RetroGrow

Veteran
I have planted them in the middle of sawgrass when I lived in a tropical area. Couldn't find them myself when I was standing right next to them!
You need a GPS...

thats funny retro..you hid them so well you couldnt find them..i had so many plotts one yr i forgot about one till the very end ..i have to say it still did well but not as well.....

herb weedmen

C

Chamba

I have planted them in the middle of sawgrass when I lived in a tropical area. Couldn't find them myself when I was standing right next to them!
You need a GPS...

I've done the same myself..lol..

you call it saw grass..i call it razor grass! ....the first few years I grew amongst it I got cut everyday..but after awhile I rarely got cut as I got better at walking through it.

the next worse thing about saw grass is that it flowers and spews out millions of flying seeds in the air around harvest time that sticks to resiny bud!.

the only good thing about razor grass is it does keep away unwanted visitors becasue it literally cuts you like a razor...

once looking for a new plot, I was walking slowly through a large area thick with 8 ~ 10 feet tall razor grass, parting them away slowly and moving as "slim" as possible to avoid getting cut, it was difficult to see more than one or two feet ahead, sweating buckets in the heat and getting eaten by viscious mosquitos and as I parted another clump and stepped forward I looked up and less than 2 feet in front of me was to a massive throbbing wasp's nest..the big bright yellow with black striped bastards, the baddest meanest wasp species in the area.......I walked backwards very slowly and decided right there and then that this is probably not the best spot to start digging.

ganja really sticks out when it's grown amongst it and it's a bitch to dig out, unless you have full size tools..it's much better to dig your holes for each plant close to the sunny side of a bigger native bush..with some creative training no one will know it's there

from a small balcony grow point of view...i also think it defeats the purpose by trying to diguise ganja by growing them among similar looking plants....as you need to make your plants blend in and not be seen, rather than force anyone take a second look.

grow small cannabis plants among other boring looking green plants and try to capture the viewer's eye with colorful flowers on the other side of the balcony or garden bed ...this distraction method works very well..so does filling up the entire area with lots of plants (and a few ganja plants) and let them all grow wild

for outdoor growing...not sure if this has been mentioned.... I think rippers and cops find many plots by the tramped down trail leading to them juist as often as they see the plants. It's always best to either set down odd placed "stepping stones" for the last 10 or 20 feet to your plot or take alternate route each time when visiting your plot to prevent tramping down a trail which turns brown quickly and stands out ...the stepping stones can be logs, rocks etc..not only will you not make a tell-tale pathway by tramping down the vegetation, when it rains you will not leave footprints either.

and for the first time in ages I've got a few seedlings in the bush in Spring..wish me luck!

happy growing in the big outdoors

Last edited:

CovetedSeeds

Its all about planting early enough so the MJ -plants can "grow in"' with the rest of the foliage. Then you go back once they have thier feet established & clear out anything overgrownig your trees.

I also use rasberry/blackberry patches for cover. A little birdie told me that put out the same heat signature as cannabis plants. Not to mention the SUCK to walk through.....

I found a plant in woods where I plan on growing... and they have a similar shade of green and leaf structure to MJ... And the best part is they grow more vigorously in the sun... so its easy for me, the grower, to eye out a good patch to plant in form a distance. they form more dense patches that grow taller when exposed to direct sunlight. these plants also seem like they are growing faster than MJ would. Im gonna take pics the next time im at this spot and post a pic up. ID say they look similar to those castor bean plants and the cleomes... but possibly a diff variety atogether?

These are really helpful & Bamboo always good!

These are really helpful & Bamboo always good!

I have seeds if anyone interested.......