What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
NG2k said:
so the smell could have been something that naturally happens during the first 2 months of curing? grr.......... :badday: maybe i should have just left it, but i didnt want to risk mold and thats what i thought it may be.
thanks HK, much appreciated.

Well for what it's worth, from what you said, you spent long enough that the smell should have been getting better, but you said it was getting worse and described it as being very bad. So something strange was going on there.

NG2k

maybe i just didnt like the smell... or maybe i was paranoid of mold and my brain told me to take it and not risk it....
it was fairly overdried so maybe after a 3 week cure it was still gonna get worse before it got better....
needless to say it is still damn good smoke with a good taste... your first homegrown weed really HITS ya!!!! :D

HempKat

Veteran
NG2k said:
....needless to say it is still damn good smoke with a good taste... your first homegrown weed really HITS ya!!!! :D

See, it's statements like this that throw me, you say the stuff smells rank but then say it has a good taste. Humans only have the ability to taste four things, sweet, sour, tart and bitter. Everything else that we call flavor, or taste, is actually your sense of smell combining with your sense of taste. So generally speaking, things we think smell bad, usually end up tasting bad.

You say this is your first homegrown, I'm wondering if the problem is your frame of reference may be limited. Very rarely does commercial or street weed match up to the kind of weed most grow at home.

NG2k

HempKat said:
See, it's statements like this that throw me, you say the stuff smells rank but then say it has a good taste. Humans only have the ability to taste four things, sweet, sour, tart and bitter. Everything else that we call flavor, or taste, is actually your sense of smell combining with your sense of taste. So generally speaking, things we think smell bad, usually end up tasting bad.

You say this is your first homegrown, I'm wondering if the problem is your frame of reference may be limited. Very rarely does commercial or street weed match up to the kind of weed most grow at home.

i did say however that its smells good when ground up, probably because the very smallest of the trichs (15 microns wide) which control odor and some taste are getting broken open.
maybe i was just confused about the smell of curing weed as ive never cured before

Erbsdaword1

Hey HK...IT'S THAT TIME, WHOOOOOT :woohoo:

Quicky question...can I top the plant, taking the kona and other tight buds from the top, and lower the light and let the smaller ones keep going awhile?

The konas are ready via hair & trich signs...but some of the other small ones lower down still have mostly white hairs and only some cloudy trichs...just wondering if it will mess up the lower buds or not to keep them till maturity...THANKS!!!

Erbs :bat: :sasmokin:

Cimis

:wave:

I have a problem, one of my seeds sprouted yesterday and now it has a leaf(one of the first round ones) that's going yellow!Do you guys know why? :confused:

HempKat

Veteran
Erbsdaword1 said:
Hey HK...IT'S THAT TIME, WHOOOOOT :woohoo:

Quicky question...can I top the plant, taking the kona and other tight buds from the top, and lower the light and let the smaller ones keep going awhile?

The konas are ready via hair & trich signs...but some of the other small ones lower down still have mostly white hairs and only some cloudy trichs...just wondering if it will mess up the lower buds or not to keep them till maturity...THANKS!!!

Erbs :bat: :sasmokin:

Yes, you can do exactly what you are talking about, I and many others have done the same thing. Keep in mind, one you'll be cutting off vital parts of the plant so it's going to be majorly stressed. Also even though the buds are underdeveloped the plant overall is still whatever age, when you take a plant well beyond normal harvest it will often hermie to self replicate and try again next season. Combine this with the stress from a partial harvest and your odds of the plants going hermie on you, increase. So just try to keep temps, light, humidity, etc. in good shape. If it does happen it won't be overnight, you got around three weeks or so I'd say. If handled right though you can definately increase the weight of your harvest.

HempKat

Veteran
Cimis said:
:wave:

I have a problem, one of my seeds sprouted yesterday and now it has a leaf(one of the first round ones) that's going yellow!Do you guys know why? :confused:

It's hard to say based on such limited info but it's definately not getting something it needs or too much of something. Tell me more about how you've cared for the plant and the conditions it's growing in and maybe I can help you pinpoint the problem?

Cimis

Sorry guys but yesterday i was in a hurry.It grows in Cellmax soil wich according to the OG FAQ is a "fortified medium".The pH is around 6.5, the temps are a little high: from 80°F to 87°F, the humidity is 55%-60% and the lights are 175W of fluorescent(18/6).
Ps.I just gave it some rooting hormone...

Last edited:

Erbsdaword1

HempKat said:
Yes, you can do exactly what you are talking about, I and many others have done the same thing. Keep in mind, one you'll be cutting off vital parts of the plant so it's going to be majorly stressed. Also even though the buds are underdeveloped the plant overall is still whatever age, when you take a plant well beyond normal harvest it will often hermie to self replicate and try again next season. Combine this with the stress from a partial harvest and your odds of the plants going hermie on you, increase. So just try to keep temps, light, humidity, etc. in good shape. If it does happen it won't be overnight, you got around three weeks or so I'd say. If handled right though you can definately increase the weight of your harvest.

SCHWEEEET!!

Will keep an eye out and watch carefully. THANKS~!!!

HempKat

Veteran
Cimis said:
Sorry guys but yesterday i was in a hurry.It grows in Cellmax soil wich according to the OG FAQ is a "fortified medium".The pH is around 6.5, the temps are a little high: from 80°F to 87°F, the humidity is 55%-60% and the lights are 175W of fluorescent(18/6).
Ps.I just gave it some rooting hormone...

Well depending on how fortified that medium is, that could be the problem right there. Still there are other factors, how have you been watering? How far away are the lights? Also what did the seed look like that you started with?

The temp is a bit high but not so much so it should be killing a plant right away. The main possibbilities as I see it are, the soil mix was to hot for seedlings, you are giving too much water, it's not liking the light placement, or possible it wasn't a very good seed to start with.

Erbsdaword1

Well, my photo skills are not that good. I took some more shots of the kona before snipping to show ya, but they are to blurry:badday: LOL :pointlaug

I did take some shots of what I put them in...will work out the camera and do a shot of the kona while drying later. Enjoy a ghetto style Dryer!! LOL :yoinks:

Last edited:

Erbsdaword1

Erbsdaword1 said:
Thanks Again...
...Also, I have a Hydro Ebb n Flow Ghettomade Mini Quad Unit. LOL(what did he say?!?!:confused:) I made it myslef, will post some pics when I clean it up after harvest...kinda messy right now. Another reason why Im surprised I have made it this far. The cab was a mid grow, had to do it idea. Heat was killing me, so I move her to a cab, made the ebbnflow and rigged up ventilation. Most of the construction was During the grow, so I have some saw dust, n stuff that I just can't get to when I installed the AC. The cab is tight, tight, tight....but perfect for a 100w like I got. Im kinda proud of the work with what ya got skills that I have. Can't wait to share. The reservoir is cool, because I can pull it out, clean it and refill it without moving or disturbing the plant...me likey!!

Anywho, I only have the one plant this time, but will be doing 2 next time, but alot shorter in veg to keep them shorter and fatter! And besides, 2 plants might be stretching the 100w, LOL!!!....

Well, I did promise pics...My First Harvest, wow I can actually say it now!! :woohoo: is over, and the Thing is clean...here she is... :yoinks:

I have a filter for the pump too!!

Laterz

Erbs :sasmokin:

HempKat

Veteran
Erbsdaword1 said:
Well, I did promise pics...My First Harvest, wow I can actually say it now!! :woohoo: is over, and the Thing is clean...here she is... :yoinks:

I have a filter for the pump too!!

Laterz

Erbs :sasmokin:

Looks very neat, clean and efficient. I would love to see what you would come up with if you had a room rather then a box and 1000W instead of 100W. :D

G

Cimis, I agree with HK, I think maybe the fortified mix is too hot for the seedling. It could be overwatering but I think that because it yellowed so quickly it's burning. I never use fortified mixes to start seeds, they are very tender at that age and most of the time when problems occur when starting seeds it's from doing too much rather than neglect. Over fertilization and overwatering are the main culprits when it comes to problems in the infant stage IMO.

Erbsdaword1

HempKat said:
Looks very neat, clean and efficient......

Thanks!!

HempKat said:
....I would love to see what you would come up with if you had a room rather then a box and 1000W instead of 100W. :D

Oh how your preaching to the choir on that one!!! :yoinks: ME TOO!! LOL

Well, the clones r n, and the 2nd wave of the clone wars has started!!!

Laterz!! and THANKS FOR ALL UR HELP!!!!

HempKat

Veteran
Erbsdaword1 said:
Thanks!!

Oh how your preaching to the choir on that one!!! :yoinks: ME TOO!! LOL

Well, the clones r n, and the 2nd wave of the clone wars has started!!!

Laterz!! and THANKS FOR ALL UR HELP!!!!

It doesn't take much, I got 2 1000W air cooled lights, window ac, dehumidifier, built an 8'x8'x5' growing area, exhaust fans, soil, nutes, pots, etc., even the camera that gives me the beautiful macros, all for what I saved from buying on the street after one harvest from a 400W light loaned to me by a friend. :smile:

Chris Ryan

Just the kind of thread I need instead of starting a new tread with a "basic" question.
I built a brand new growbox that is 50 cm deep, 100cm wide and 120cm high. Inside this I have a 400watts HPS with a cooltube. Everything there is fine. Before this I have only had a lowrider microgrow.

Strains: 3 White Widow X AK47, 2 Shiva Shanti II, 1 Danish Pot and 1 Haze Special
All from seed. And I am expecting males so they will be removed.

Now for my question.

When should I induce flowering? Atm they are about 1 week old. I dont want them to outgrow the box, but I dont want to waste space either.

What can you recomend?

Thx in advance.