What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Things Falling Apart: BAD SIGNS

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...unkies-sex-offenders-moved-luxury-hotels.html

NYC: 'Our community is terrified, angry and frightened': Upper West Side residents fury as homeless junkies and sex offenders are moved into three luxury hotels and turn the area into a spectacle of public urination, cat-calling and brazen drug use

The Belleclaire, the Lucerne and the Belnord in the UWS are three of 139 hotels being used as homeless shelters during the Covid-19 crisis in New York City
The city is paying $175 per person per night to house people to avoid COVID-19 outbreaks in shelters
It's unclear how long they will be kept there; none of the hotels are accepting paying guests currently
Upper West Side residents say they are terrorizing the neighborhood with drugs and crime
They are complaining that they don't feel safe and local restaurant owners fear they are driving away business
The only way for restaurants to make money is by offering outdoor dining but the owners say the homeless are approaching diners to ask for cash
It coincides with a mass exodus of wealthy New Yorkers, many of whom will never come back to the city
Mayor Bill de Blasio has turned on them, calling them 'fair weather friends' who ought to be taxed higher
Governor Andrew Cuomo is begging them to come back and says the city desperately needs their money

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8604877/De-Blasio-says-plans-buy-properties-Manhattan.html

De Blasio reveals he wants to buy empty NYC buildings and turn them into affordable housing after moving 13,000 homeless into hotels 'for more than $2million a night' and shaming rich residents who left to escape COVID-19 as 'fair weather friends'

De Blasio said on Thursday the city planned to purchase buildings to turn them into affordable housing
The city is refusing to disclose which types of buildings he was talking about 'due to privacy concerns'
Currently, more than 13,000 homeless people are being housed in 139 hotels all over New York City
The city is paying for it and sources say it costs $175 per person per night - $2.275million every day
They will remain in hotels, he said, until there is a vaccine which could be another six months yet
The homeless people were removed from shelters to avoid outbreaks of COVID-19 earlier this year
De Blasio now says there's an 'opportunity to get creative' when it comes to placing them permanently
Meanwhile, taxpaying residents of the Upper West Side say they are terrified of their own neighborhood
Three hotels there - The Belleclaire, The Lucerne and The Belnord - are now housing the homeless
Among them are sex offenders and drug addicts who residents say have taken over the streets

This stuff is sad on so many levels but a couple of nights ago I watched Gov. Cuomo on the news begging former wealthy NYC residents (who left because of Covid) to return to the city because they were the 1% of the population who were paying most of the cities taxes.

So if even more wealthy residents are driven out because of the homeless moving in, who's taxes are gonna be paying for social services?

If NYC suffers a financial/societal meltdown, this will be where The Domino Effect starts.:tumbleweed:

Gry

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...unkies-sex-offenders-moved-luxury-hotels.html

NYC: 'Our community is terrified, angry and frightened': Upper West Side residents fury as homeless junkies and sex offenders are moved into three luxury hotels and turn the area into a spectacle of public urination, cat-calling and brazen drug use

The Belleclaire, the Lucerne and the Belnord in the UWS are three of 139 hotels being used as homeless shelters during the Covid-19 crisis in New York City
The city is paying $175 per person per night to house people to avoid COVID-19 outbreaks in shelters
It's unclear how long they will be kept there; none of the hotels are accepting paying guests currently
Upper West Side residents say they are terrorizing the neighborhood with drugs and crime
They are complaining that they don't feel safe and local restaurant owners fear they are driving away business
The only way for restaurants to make money is by offering outdoor dining but the owners say the homeless are approaching diners to ask for cash
It coincides with a mass exodus of wealthy New Yorkers, many of whom will never come back to the city
Mayor Bill de Blasio has turned on them, calling them 'fair weather friends' who ought to be taxed higher
Governor Andrew Cuomo is begging them to come back and says the city desperately needs their money

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8604877/De-Blasio-says-plans-buy-properties-Manhattan.html

De Blasio reveals he wants to buy empty NYC buildings and turn them into affordable housing after moving 13,000 homeless into hotels 'for more than $2million a night' and shaming rich residents who left to escape COVID-19 as 'fair weather friends'

De Blasio said on Thursday the city planned to purchase buildings to turn them into affordable housing
The city is refusing to disclose which types of buildings he was talking about 'due to privacy concerns'
Currently, more than 13,000 homeless people are being housed in 139 hotels all over New York City
The city is paying for it and sources say it costs $175 per person per night - $2.275million every day
They will remain in hotels, he said, until there is a vaccine which could be another six months yet
The homeless people were removed from shelters to avoid outbreaks of COVID-19 earlier this year
De Blasio now says there's an 'opportunity to get creative' when it comes to placing them permanently
Meanwhile, taxpaying residents of the Upper West Side say they are terrified of their own neighborhood
Three hotels there - The Belleclaire, The Lucerne and The Belnord - are now housing the homeless
Among them are sex offenders and drug addicts who residents say have taken over the streets

This stuff is sad on so many levels but a couple of nights ago I watched Gov. Cuomo on the news begging former wealthy NYC residents (who left because of Covid) to return to the city because they were the 1% of the population who were paying most of the cities taxes.

So if even more wealthy residents are driven out because of the homeless moving in, who's taxes are gonna be paying for social services?

If NYC suffers a financial/societal meltdown, this will be where The Domino Effect starts.:tumbleweed:
Quite a story, can't help but chuckle as I think to myself that no one ever had any such concerns about the drug and sex habits of the well heeled.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
..... no one ever had any such concerns about the drug and sex habits of the well heeled.

True Gry, but you must admit the rich are much more discreet than the folks pictured here, they do their deeds inside behind closed doors.

...... I couldn't help but notice in those pics the number of men passed out sleeping/drugged on the sidewalk with their hands down in their pants, not discreet at all!;)

packerfan79

Veteran

Funny how those evil rich people, are the problem if they stay, and a problem if they go. Considering the evil 1% are paying for 50 % of the cities budget. Or, to be more accurate they were.

The groundhog murderer has cheered on the destruction of New York.

Looks like San Francisco has competition for the shittiest city in America.

The really sad part, is the vast majority of New Yorkers are stuck. They can't leave.

This is a perfect example of the result of far left governance. I am sure someone here will blame it all on Trump, White Supremacist, or the GOP.

Gry

True Gry, but you must admit the rich are much more discreet than the folks pictured here, they do their deeds inside behind closed doors.

...... I couldn't help but notice in those pics the number of men passed out sleeping/drugged on the sidewalk with their hands down in their pants, not discreet at all!;)
I have never noticed that having more money resulted in improved morals.
I would cite those involved with the sex island as an example.
None the less, I would always like to see things improved.
It saddens me to think that NYC likes to hold itself up as a place with few homeless.
It bothers me that we have such a rate of it here. It is not that way elsewhere, and prior to the days of Regan, it was not nearly so bad here.
What I find most bothersome is the inability of any politician to deal with
the subject in an honest manner. What I see here on a regular basis is promises to deal with homelessness that are not ever addressed. Instead, they toss hundred million a year at the cops and tell them to run them out of town under the cover of darkness.
That has not worked in the past, nor do I expect it to in the future.
Other societies with a fraction of our wealth have been able to address
this better than we. I recall being told as a kid that I lived in the finest society on earth. I do believe we still have the potential to be just that.
I also believe we need to change how we treat and view each other to make it happen.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Funny how those evil rich people, are the problem if they stay, and a problem if they go.

..... exactly, no matter which side you pick everyone's gonna lose.

Similar to the Corona Virus conundrum, everyone stay safe inside and let the economy go to hell or leave the house and fuel the economy in hopes of keeping it going.

so we have 2 issues, both interrelated, 2 bad signs.

Gry

Similar to the Corona Virus conundrum, everyone stay safe inside and let the economy go to hell or leave the house and fuel the economy in hopes of keeping it going.

Which ignores the fact that other countries have successfully dealt with both homelessness and corona.
The bad sign is to pretend their can be no positive outcome.
We used to be a can do nation and we can be again.

Gry

Funny how those evil rich people, are the problem if they stay, and a problem if they go. Considering the evil 1% are paying for 50 % of the cities budget. Or, to be more accurate they were.

The groundhog murderer has cheered on the destruction of New York.

Looks like San Francisco has competition for the shittiest city in America.

The really sad part, is the vast majority of New Yorkers are stuck. They can't leave.

This is a perfect example of the result of far left governance. I am sure someone here will blame it all on Trump, White Supremacist, or the GOP.
You seem to have no problem at all blaming it on your next door neighbor as opposed to politicians who sold us all out to our corporate masters.

packerfan79

Veteran

Yup, look at Joe Rogan, he's leaving LA. Due to the proposed state tax hike. Oops, California doesn't get to tax the estimated 100 million dollar deal. Anyone with a mild understanding of economics, knows that increasing taxes, decreases revenue. The Democrats tax hikes aren't about increasing revenue, they are about punishment (leveling the playing field). Or they are just stupid.

Dr. Redford with the CDC has stated lockdowns don't work. The infection rate skyrocketed in New York, when the lockdowns were instituted. Here in California, where we have been lockdown for 4 months cases have been going upcontinuously, which is wierd considering the BLM immunity. Lol.

Ultimately, it's all about getting Trump out of office. The lives of Americans is irrelevant to the media, and the Democrats, but i repeat myself.

I personally think it's great that Americans are getting back to a more normal life, not millions crammed in a city fighting for limited resources.

Amynamous

Dang, shows what an idiot I am..

I figured it referred to some Eastern philosophy or something...then I looked it up...

Knowing you guys, I should have known better....

I’ve used the term quite often at work throughout my life.
Very few people got the reference.

T

Teddybrae

Not-a-conspiracy-believer-here: BUT maybe the topic is just too nasty for Locals?

This is social change. Might look like shit at the moment, but ...

A concerning story...but no US source for this?
I will wait for corroboration

Latest posts

Latest posts