What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Remove all fan leaves for a stealthy grow?

Superauto

Show anyone a cannabis plant and 9 out of 10 will know what plant it is by looking at the fan leaves.On the other hand, remove the fan leaves and leave only the sugar leaves left, how many can say it’s a cannabis plant?

So what I’m asking is if it’s possible to remove the fan leaves as soon as the plant start to bloom and still get a decent yield?

At least removing the fan leaves will make the outdoor grow more stealth.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Show anyone a cannabis plant and 9 out of 10 will know what plant it is by looking at the fan leaves.On the other hand, remove the fan leaves and leave only the sugar leaves left, how many can say it’s a cannabis plant?

So what I’m asking is if it’s possible to remove the fan leaves as soon as the plant start to bloom and still get a decent yield?

At least removing the fan leaves will make the outdoor grow more stealth.
Botrytis (gray mold) usually attacks wounded plants. So pruning is a no no if you're gorilla growing because mold spores are probably around. Many people do it though. It's terribly humid here at harvest time but I do it a week or two before I harvest to speed things up (ripening and harvesting) and deal with mold if I find it.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Does an off grid home have power when you remove the power sources?

I’m pretty sure you’ll seriously stunt the growth of any auto that is treated as you suggest.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
True. I spotted a grow last year in the corner of my eye, thru the bush, as I was driving by. I kid you not, my first thought was "I didn't know Pineapples grew here." lol

Superauto

Anyone who knows what cannabis looks like will still recognize the plant.
Sure they do but I don't fear the growers or police here, you see I guerilla grow in remote places where police and pot heads don't usually go.
Who I fear is mostly berry pickers looking for cloudberries growing side by side with my weed.

Here up north cloudberries are so precious that I guess the berry pickers just walk straight by without notice any cannabis plants as long as they don't see any fan leaves.

Yes I understand the yield will go down without fanleaves, but with how much?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well I assume that the potheads just pick the flowers and keep quiet and not run to the local police or the newspaper with their findings :tiphat:

GAWD!!!
How many plants do you plan on putting out?
Don’t answer that unless you want to.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Well I assume that the potheads just pick the flowers and keep quiet and not run to the local police or the newspaper with their findings :tiphat:
Around here, they'll take all the colas in one night. Then they'll tell their friends who will take the popcorn the next night.

therevverend

Veteran
As far north as your growing, and considering your handle, I wouldn't remove the fan leaves. Auto flowers and photoperiod sensitive plants have very little time to get big enough to finish. Without big leaves I doubt you'd harvest much at all. There's always exceptions to the rule but the autos I've seen needed every fan leaf they had.
I don't ever top or remove the main fan leaves from outdoor plants. It greatly slows the formation of the main branches and meristem. Most outdoor growers only have two months, June and July, for their plants to form large size and put on the bulk it needs to produce. Then it only has two months to put on the flowers.
For an Auto grower you're cutting that almost in half. Only June to gain bulk, then July and maybe half of August to develop flowers. Stunt that and you got nothin'.
As far as berry pickers they're trouble. The human kind and the bear kind. I'd prefer either tunneling deep into the middle of a patch where humans can't get to or find somewhere with enough devil's club, muck, and nettles to keep them out.

Superauto

As far north as your growing, and considering your handle, I wouldn't remove the fan leaves. Auto flowers and photoperiod sensitive plants have very little time to get big enough to finish. Without big leaves I doubt you'd harvest much at all. There's always exceptions to the rule but the autos I've seen needed every fan leaf they had.
I don't ever top or remove the main fan leaves from outdoor plants. It greatly slows the formation of the main branches and meristem. Most outdoor growers only have two months, June and July, for their plants to form large size and put on the bulk it needs to produce. Then it only has two months to put on the flowers.
For an Auto grower you're cutting that almost in half. Only June to gain bulk, then July and maybe half of August to develop flowers. Stunt that and you got nothin'.
As far as berry pickers they're trouble. The human kind and the bear kind. I'd prefer either tunneling deep into the middle of a patch where humans can't get to or find somewhere with enough devil's club, muck, and nettles to keep them out.
Guess I can try with one plant in each patch and see if the yield will become significant lower :)

therevverend

Veteran
Yes nothing wrong with experimenting. And there's always that special strain that thrives when you remove the fan leaves. I haven't seen many of them but I've seen a few. These usually tend towards the landrace or at least outdoor varieties.
They need to have their leaves removed because they get too damn bushy otherwise. So many shade leaves they block out all the light from the developing branches and colas. Had one last year, an heirloom Mendocino strain called Pot of Gold Hashplant. Hadn't grown before so I let it go. Developed much too much branching.

Last edited:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Don't complain or blame breeder/genetics when your plants do not yield much (autos, esp).

your best bet is to train the plant to grow along the ground. taking all the leaves off will be a daily activity as they will just keep regenerating as fast as you pluck them. I've never done it a whole grow just 2-3 specific times during a cycle so I can not guarantee you what will happen but I can tell you the plant will be spending considerable energy regenerating leaves instead of making bud.

Latest posts

Latest posts