What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Phylos Galaxy - Landrace discussion

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Hola!

How long have we been waiting for actual DNA evidence on the relationships between our beloved strains?
It's finally out there so let's start dissecting the info :party:
I'm sure they're still working on the accuracy and stuff but let's discuss what we've learned so far shall we?

Some of the highlights I've found so far:

Moroccan landrace is indeed a sativa. A real sativa that is, 95% hemp but high THC :biggrin: I'm pretty sure Greek strains are like this too but we'll see. That also debunks my theory that West African ganja is related to Maroc, not so much. Durban Poison is also high in hemp genes, a real mixture!

African strains like Malawi, Zambian and South African seem to favor Nepal, Thailand, Yunnan and Sumatra over Indian strains. They don't have a sample from Kerala though.. Congo Pointe Noire seems most related to North Indian or Nepalese strains.

Colombian strains seem to sit tightly within the African cluster as expected.

If these results are any accurate..

Nepalese strains cluster closer to Yunnan/Thailand than to India. East African strains show a relatedness to Island South East Asia (Philippines, Papua, Sumatra) all the way down to northern Thailand, which fits well with the Austronesian expansion from Taiwan to Africa.

And lots of hemp genes flying around in much of India and Thailand. Even more in the dank indicas.

Some Thai strains show interesting relatedness to Afghanistan and even Kazahstan in one occation. I don't think this is just noise. Some seem completely pure albeit with Chinese hemp influence.

What have you found?

Kush_Kloud

I took a look at the Phylos Galaxy yesterday and I'm not sure I know how to use it. But what I did see was that David Watson and Robert C. Clarke have submitted most of the landrace sativas and indicas that I would love to grow out. Boy are they lucky! But anyway how do I see the connection between different strains, the way you have?

GoatCheese

Veteran
I took a look at the Phylos Galaxy yesterday and I'm not sure I know how to use it. But what I did see was that David Watson and Robert C. Clarke have submitted most of the landrace sativas and indicas that I would love to grow out. Boy are they lucky! But anyway how do I see the connection between different strains, the way you have?

Hey..
Click a certain strain or do a search
..and you see a "report" thumb appearing next to the strain name, click it and you'll get to see the related info
:)

therevverend

Veteran
I'm a little hesitant to draw conclusions based on the limited amount of data collected. Still it's very interesting good observations Thule. I've heard that a lot of Moroccan strains come from Lebanon, but since there aren't any Lebanese varieties collected yet can't say. I've heard stories of hash makers from Lebanon traveling to India to collect seeds.
My theory is that the Hajj is one of biggest sources of seed dispersal. I would guess Muslim areas will have similar genetics despite the great distances. It's too early to say but it could be the reason there's similarities between SE island Asia and East Africa. I'd think the Austronesian expansion probably happened before the spread of cannabis out of central Asia. The expansion happened when Australia was colonized by Austronesian people, at least 45,000 years ago.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Northwest Iran is the most fertile land in the entire Middle East and has some Amazing Genetics.. None of these Scientist know any information on these genetics..therefore these type of studies and theories are Speculation with a splash of Bro Science

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Northwest Iran is the most fertile land in the entire Middle East and has some Amazing Genetics.. None of these Scientist know any information on these genetics..therefore these type of studies and theories are Speculation with a splash of Bro Science

Then send them a sample?

I'm pretty sure Iranian strains are closely related to Afghani strains and should cluster genetically between Afghanistan and the Levant, as geography dictates.

We're never going to get all cannabis strains sampled but it doesn't mean we can't eventually get some reliable results, and what I've seen so far seems promising. Why not play around with what we have and what is to come.

gorilla ganja

I have looked at it a few times now. Very hard to navigate, for me anyways. I think this will evolve into something useful. But they have to make it more user friendly. It would be nice if you could pick a strain and delete all others not related so viewing could be easier.
Also the 3D universe is cool to look at but there are probably many other ways to decipher the data in better ways.

Peace GG

GoatCheese

Veteran
I'm quite sure Morroccan hash plant is related to Lebanese. Effect and aroma is in the same ball park ..talking about hash i've smoked in Amsterdam.
Smoked Lebanese only on one visit but it was the real deal. They press the polm in cotton bags and my hash piece had tiny white hairs on the surface. I think it was the so called "red lebanese", from later harvested plants.

Turkish i tried was also somewhat similar only it was more potent and the effect was heavier stoned and the taste was "darker" and not as flowery, incensey sweet as Morocs, but still related.

The Phylos states that Morrocan is related to Nepali and i felt so too, because of the flower structure i saw when growing Baglung Nepali. I see it in Lebanese plants also.

hashish-lebabnon_1410794i.jpg

Yellow Leb
tumblr_npjgjlPEIx1sw42ieo1_1280.jpg

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I have looked at it a few times now. Very hard to navigate, for me anyways. I think this will evolve into something useful. But they have to make it more user friendly. It would be nice if you could pick a strain and delete all others not related so viewing could be easier.
Also the 3D universe is cool to look at but there are probably many other ways to decipher the data in better ways.

Peace GG

I mostly just navigate using their normal "strain base", just click on the strains as they appear, much faster.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I'm quite sure Morroccan hash plant is related to Lebanese. Effect and aroma is in the same ball park ..talking about hash i've smoked in Amsterdam.
Smoked Lebanese only on one visit but it was the real deal. They press the polm in cotton bags and my hash piece had tiny white hairs on the surface. I think it was the so called "red lebanese", from later harvested plants.

Turkish i tried was also somewhat similar only it was more potent and the effect was heavier stoned and the taste was "darker" and not as flowery, incensey sweet as Morocs, but still related.

The Phylos states that Morrocan is related to Nepali and i felt so too, because of the flower structure i saw when growing Baglung Nepali. I see it in Lebanese plants also.

View Image
Yellow Leb
View Image

Must be all the stuff they imported to Morocco, supposedly Pakistani though.

I always had a feeling that Lebanese has some hemp in it too, that's what people refer to as the "sativa phenotype" and they might be right :biggrin:

In fact most of the old Mediterranean strains are probably somewhat related.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Anybody else having problems logging on to the Galaxy page? Recently when I’ve tried it just shows a blank screen. Any tips.

pastor

If you draw a line along the hemp and landraces side of the galaxy, you can see the latitudes range of Cannabis growing, from equator to polar circle.
At one side there's colombian and others equatorial location, on the other side it's northern latitudes hemp. In the middle there's tropical landraces like Morocco or Kashmir.
I don't know if it's relevant... any idea?

One thing is sure: hemp datas are reliable. One thing is not so sure: the real origin of landrace accessions...it's just names...it's not 100% reliable...

bigherb

Veteran

Peace GG

100% Agreed

I'm not great with technology but the site isn't what i was hoping . I'm hoping someone can give briefing or explanation on the setup

I don't understand the categories 1-6 they seem off and not familiar.
Number 1 genetic relatives sweet island skunk is related to GG4 , where is the relationship there . Blue dream is related to La Confidential? The Afghan in BB is what I assume . Seems the data base of genetics is not as wide as I imagined and they are comparing what's available

I don't see the option where you can trace the origins such as Africa Asia

#4 Wtf , Im curious how or why berry , skunk , Og kush and landrace are Population origins. Doesn't make sense to me . what are the genetics in Skunk n OG kush , What are the origins?

The sixth category I don't understand, why are distant relatives important

I appreciate the efforts and what's been done , but this setup of the site has me asking a few questions

1luvbigherb

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
100% Agreed

I'm not great with technology but the site isn't what i was hoping . I'm hoping someone can give briefing or explanation on the setup

Number 1 genetic relatives sweet island skunk is related to GG4 , where is the relationship there . Blue dream is related to La Confidential? The Afghan in BB is what I assume . Seems the data base of genetics is not as wide as I imagined and they are comparing what's available

#4 Wtf , Im curious how or why berry , skunk , Og kush and landrace are Population origins. Doesn't make sense to me . what are the genetics in Skunk n OG kush , What are the origins?

I appreciate the efforts and what's been done , but this setup of the site has me asking a few questions

1luvbigherb

I click on each sample separately. I rarely use the galaxy funtion unless i am searching for a specific cultivar.

Its all based on the genetic markers in the dna. This is how they are able to make a strong argument that culivars are related. The traits had to have come from one of its parents.

I feel like skunk, og and berry (prolly blueberry) are really the basic building blocks we have been using, combined and recombined.

The distant relatives part is how we can create new and interesting varieties. The distance between any two samples shows how different they are. a cross betwwen to that are far away should a true hybrid, imo.

There is a video on yt with Rob Clarke and he goes pretty deep.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
100% Agreed

1luvbigherb

Yeah, the Galaxy was made with the greater public in mind, not so much the landrace crowd. In this context using berry, skunk and kush as reference points make sense... sort of.

I have no interest in polyhybrids so for me the Galaxy works just fine. I do hope that they think about using different markers for identification of landraces. I'm big time into populatiuon genetics and they had a similar problem in human genomics, they didn't have samples old enough to see the true relations. I.e. all modern samples are composed of other more ancient populations. You need to map those older populations first in order to find the correct markers.

If a Pakistani is listed as having "berry" ancestry it's probably the other way around in most cases. What I'm really looking for is pure unalterated landraces, and the galaxy is the key! I don't believe in the berry cluster though, it could be anything but probably comes from the Afghani/Pakistani that DJ Shorts used. The Skunk on the other hand seems to indicate Mexican ancestry and you really shouldn't see this marker in any pure old world landraces..

As for why knowing the distant relatives is important, I think it's absolutely fascinating! It shows populations that were separated thousands and thousands of years ago, lots of people want to know what's related to what. You can make some novel hybrids with this information (though I've already noticed how African and Siberian strains have incompatibility issues) With hybrids this information is of very little use though.

At this point it's best to take most results with a grain of salt, as was said we don't really know if all the samples really are what they claim to be. Just don't think there's nothing to learn from the galaxy, the dna results don't lie. These people are professionals and know what they're doing. Just give 'em time to fix things.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Must be all the stuff they imported to Morocco, supposedly Pakistani though.

I always had a feeling that Lebanese has some hemp in it too, that's what people refer to as the "sativa phenotype" and they might be right :biggrin:

In fact most of the old Mediterranean strains are probably somewhat related.

Well if it (morrocan) originates from Pakistan region, then it's quite old stock, cause the newer paki they grow there is quite different. I've seen pictures/video of X18-type NLD/WLD hybrids
..but sure, can be related to old Yarkhun/Nepali/Indi-ca lines, at least i see some similarities in flower structure

The new paki-morrocs (Gardella =mixture of moroc/paki, and Twissla/Tbisla etc) are more potent and stonier than the more traditional Morocs ..but i'm not a big expert and i was just a kid in 1970-80's so haven't smoked the older stuff.
:)

Latest posts

Latest posts