What's new

dwc rootzone issue

jrpufinstuf

Need some help identifying what this is in my rootzone. The tips of the roots are turning black. Otherwise, they seem ok(not slimy). The plant itself looks normal to me(growth not stunted, no leaf burn/deficiencies). Only 2 of 18 plants in my state are affected. Started noticing this issue about 10 days ago. Has anyone seen this? Here are the rest of the details:

Modified ebb and flow/dwc
Reservoir temp 65° air temp 75° day/60° night
Full heavy 16 lineup used per directions
Hydroguard, h2o2, and silica blast
0 ppm ro filtered well water
Jesus OG strain

Any ideas? Thanks!

Attachments

• 1447208595698.jpg
    1447208595698.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 1447208806114.jpg
    1447208806114.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 1447208841935.jpg
    1447208841935.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 1447208945412.jpg
    1447208945412.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 1447208992027.jpg
    1447208992027.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 8

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
I'd have a guess if no one else can help.
Is it due to poor dissolved oxygen supply to the root zone imo. If your using air stones they ain't sufficient in supplying the increased demand as the plant grows and need increase. Check out the thread below about air exchange for hydro. By chaoscatalunya

jrpufinstuf

Thanks for the reply. I am currently using a 1744gph air pump with 4" airstone in each bucket. The way it's configured, I should be getting 145gph per bucket. I would like to check out that link, but not sure where to look...

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
Not sure, the top side looks okay. Can't really tell from the pictures, for the most part they "look" okay. It looks like the roots have a little off coloring, which could come from your nutrients. In one picture there are some black "clumps", not sure what they are.

You could try to rinse your roots off in a bucket of clean water.
I don't use h2o2.
How often do you change out your air stone?

jrpufinstuf

The air stone has been used for about 4 weeks now, brand new before this. The "clumps" are black root tips, no other way for me to really explain it. I posted this in the hydro forum also and the pics there turned out better than here for some reason. The Heavy16 Fire is some pretty dark stuff, def staining my roots. I'll see if I can get better pics here. Thanks for the input

LostTribe

Premium user
my guess is your fert is staining them if your leaves are unaffected I dont see any problems. Flora nova turns the roots red but havent used it exclusively only tried it twice. I run botanicare with the eaze!

I dont think its nutes especially if you only get it on a couple girls. Nutes would affect all girls. Your temps are good, little on cool side but good. Air sounds good.

ive used flora nova exclusively for dwc for years and roots stay pearly white. That said, i do use dm zone to maintain roots. Its got chloramine. I have had roots get like those in pictures and was able to use h202 dunk to bring em back.. even with onset of root issues you can still see healthy lookin plants, but the root growth typically subsides until the issue has been addressed.

So this begs the question, are you still seeing root growth cause it should be explosive by now

SofaKingStupid

Need some help identifying what this is in my rootzone. The tips of the roots are turning black. Otherwise, they seem ok(not slimy). The plant itself looks normal to me(growth not stunted, no leaf burn/deficiencies). Only 2 of 18 plants in my state are affected. Started noticing this issue about 10 days ago. Has anyone seen this? Here are the rest of the details:

Modified ebb and flow/dwc
Reservoir temp 65° air temp 75° day/60° night
Full heavy 16 lineup used per directions
Hydroguard, h2o2, and silica blast
0 ppm ro filtered well water
Jesus OG strain

Any ideas? Thanks!
Your roots look fine.

excon

i would wash them in water/root solution
and always add some root thingy/reservoir clear with clorine to the water

StoneyK

Veteran
You can always run a flush batch thru with some h202... for a few hours up to a full day
Probably Whitten those roots right up an clean any undesirables out of your system, it's a great preventative in dwc, that an run pond cleaner enzymes....

jrpufinstuf

Thanks for the replies.
2 12S- flora nova is good stuff, but I'm happy with the results of my current schedule, dm zone is awesome stuff, but my supply store stopped carrying dm for some reason...I I've never had good luck with h2o2 dunks in the past, but I do add a but to my reservoir every couple weeks

Goats- great thread, thanks.

CG- it's an 18 bucket ebb and grow, with air stones "dropped" into each bucket dwc style. I do one flood and drain daily to check my ph. I'm running 10 of these systems in my current grow and find it much easier than checking each individual bucket.

Sofa- with the exception of the Brown/black tips, I agree

So it's been about a week since I first posted this issue, and in that amount of time, I have experienced about 5" new plant growth, fans as big as my hand, and new root growth as well. The original issue still exists, but doesn't seem to have "spread". I did a nutrient change as normal, but added a small amount of AN revive to the mix. Seems to have helped a bit. I'm still a bit perplexed, but I can't complain otherwise. I will still continue to monitor these babies closely, but for now I'm just gonna continue as normal. Thanks again for all the replies, I've added some new pics below.

Attachments

• 1447705408344.jpg
    1447705408344.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 1447705613146.jpg
    1447705613146.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 11
  • 1447705724082.jpg
    1447705724082.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 1447705822251.jpg
    1447705822251.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 10

LostTribe

Premium user
sm90 and cannazyme both work together fine.

sm90 for the root rot and the cannazyme breaks down old roots and promotes new ones.

The last four pictures you posted look healthy. I am not sure what you mean by ebb and flow dwc style but if you are only flooding your buckets with water once a day then I would change that to three or four times a day

Latest posts

Latest posts