What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
This is thai landrace. Fisrt time to try cob with her. Now her smell like sour mango. waiting for vacum seal arrive. i will report to you. Have you try sweat in sea water. in my memory the seller store them in the sea and bring it for sell.
Wow! thats going to be killer cobbed. Thai is a very special high I have never had it cob cured though.
The smells coming from a sweated and cured bag will be mind blowing I'm sure.
I think sea water around Thailand is like 26 or 27c, if thats true it will give a long slow cure ideal for keeping the terps fresh.
I wish I was able to get some artisan grown Thai, authentic village elders stash and cure it cob style.
Keep us posted I'm sure it will be awesome.

Nextgeneration73

update on my first cob curing adventure:

I took it out and inspected it after 3 days, as I was nervous because the cobs were a bit moist when i started. It had indeed started changing color, becoming very dark. I re-wrapped it in overnight-dried husks, tighter, with better string, and vac-sealed again for another 5 days, this is what it looked like:

today I decided it had been long enough, and took it out to inspect it again, and I determined it was definitely finished. . . .

as you can see the color changed drastically to deep deep brown, almost black in places, and the pistils are now a neon bright red.

here's a before and after

before (left) & after (right)

and just like Tangwena said - it has the consistency of hash. it smells sweet - a bit wet (because it is), and essentially the same as it did going in, just with a bit of a twist on it.

Now, I don't want to get too excited, and I'm doing the 5-day dry in a cool dark place, but I just cut off a few chunks and am quick-drying them in my veg room to try in a joint. This stuff looks too crazy to not try now, . . . .

(especially under an LED, lol)

wish me luck . . . .

i shall be back, someday, with a smoke report. :biggrin:
Wait so is this done more than once?

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Wait so is this done more than once?
Welcome aboard brother!

Short answer is yes or no.

During the next few months of your grow, you'll have time to have a good read of this thread and you'll get a good overview of the process and then you'll see why I say yes or no. Thankfully there's no need to read the whole thread; the last 50 pages would be more than sufficient, especially as the technique has evolved over the course of the thread.

It occurs to me, that if you were to cob your harvest, you may be able to gain a few days extra flowering, as the cobbing process is done a little before one would normally start the cure. Also it would allow you to just leave them in their sealed bags and just let them slowly do their thing whilst you're away.

Nextgeneration73

Welcome aboard brother!

Short answer is yes or no.

During the next few months of your grow, you'll have time to have a good read of this thread and you'll get a good overview of the process and then you'll see why I say yes or no. Thankfully there's no need to read the whole thread; the last 50 pages would be more than sufficient, especially as the technique has evolved over the course of the thread.

It occurs to me, that if you were to cob your harvest, you may be able to gain a few days extra flowering, as the cobbing process is done a little before one would normally start the cure. Also it would allow you to just leave them in their sealed bags and just let them slowly do their thing whilst you're away.
I see 🤩 On a side but I'm just guessing it's to be dried before the cob cure process right?

CDNINCA

I see 🤩 On a side but I'm just guessing it's to be dried before the cob cure process right?
As brother @Hombre del mont said, welcome aboard the cob train! :) To answer your question, it depends... you will get different results depending on how moist/ dried your weed is before cobbing. Very moist = dark, intense, (not my style), of a cob. It will be good, just different. If you have dried your weed to the point where it's almost ready to jar and cure (almost, but not quite is the key here), then you will end up with a lighter coloured cob with different effects. I prefer that style but both are good.
Here's something that I saved that @Tangwena wrote a while ago that sums it up nicely.

"The shorter sweats def give more color and taste, also drying earlier after sweating keeps the color and taste.

This also keeps the high racier. The longer you cold cure (after sweating) vacuum sealed the darker the result and deeper the effects.

I like 6 to 12 hours myself I use it to push the boundary on certain buds like Mulanje or Aces Panama.

I like to watch the color change but you have to pick it right just before it turns to much.

Then cure it for 2 or 3 days inspect dry and re seal I like the sticky compacted cobs like hash for chewing.

The shorter sweats or even no sweat at all can produce electric effects if you get a nice warm cure.

You have to watch and sample regularly for each cure until you get a feel for it and then you can leave it longer."

I've been leaning towards the "no sweat at all" approach and love the results so far. I aim to have the weed dried to about 65-70 % RH, or if you roll a joint it barely stays lit between hits, when I cob. YMMV! Enjoy!

Nextgeneration73

As brother @Hombre del mont said, welcome aboard the cob train! :) To answer your question, it depends... you will get different results depending on how moist/ dried your weed is before cobbing. Very moist = dark, intense, (not my style), of a cob. It will be good, just different. If you have dried your weed to the point where it's almost ready to jar and cure (almost, but not quite is the key here), then you will end up with a lighter coloured cob with different effects. I prefer that style but both are good.
Here's something that I saved that @Tangwena wrote a while ago that sums it up nicely.

"The shorter sweats def give more color and taste, also drying earlier after sweating keeps the color and taste.

This also keeps the high racier. The longer you cold cure (after sweating) vacuum sealed the darker the result and deeper the effects.

I like 6 to 12 hours myself I use it to push the boundary on certain buds like Mulanje or Aces Panama.

I like to watch the color change but you have to pick it right just before it turns to much.

Then cure it for 2 or 3 days inspect dry and re seal I like the sticky compacted cobs like hash for chewing.

The shorter sweats or even no sweat at all can produce electric effects if you get a nice warm cure.

You have to watch and sample regularly for each cure until you get a feel for it and then you can leave it longer."

I've been leaning towards the "no sweat at all" approach and love the results so far. I aim to have the weed dried to about 65-70 % RH, or if you roll a joint it barely stays lit between hits, when I cob. YMMV! Enjoy!
What would sweating it mean exactly? Wait so the effects are racier if it's what exactly? I'm really confused on these two.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
@Nextgeneration73 ,

Don't get too hung up on the terminology etc., as brother Tangwena says, get a timer; plants like routine. Without a harvest, the rest is meaningless.

Have a read of the thread, say the last 50 pages or so and you will find several good examples of different cobbing techniques. There's no rush; you have quite some time to go before you're near to harvest.
In fact you have plenty of time to read the whole thread.

Once you do harvest, there are many good folks on here who will be more than happy to point you in the right direction. 🙂

Nextgeneration73

Ask again when you get a timer or its not going to matter.
Actually I won't bother you for now with more questions instead I'll just keep reading your Thread because it's awfully amazing 🤩 😻 And obviously a great necessity for my needs...
Great work though Tangwena... I think I've seen this thread before 🤯 Oh wow ... I never knew some of this stuff...

Tangwena

Veteran
Actually I won't bother you for now with more questions instead I'll just keep reading your Thread because it's awfully amazing 🤩 😻 And obviously a great necessity for my needs...
Great work though Tangwena... I think I've seen this thread before 🤯 Oh wow ... I never knew some of this stuff...
All the members here have long experience in both growing and curing you came to the right place.
They will guide you through growing, harvesting and curing. All you have to do is take their advice.
Its free but its golden.

Tangwena

Veteran
I am laying wood onto a concrete staircase at the moment lots of intricate cuts.
Amazing for a guy who spent a whole year in woodworking class polishing a wooden bowl he made the year before ha ha.

I use Mulanje cobs to get me in the zone, once high I'm focused and emersed in the art of wood work ha ha.
I am using a blend of the short plant big cola and tall big cola plant from a couple of years ago and its crazy euphoric and makes me work all day with the music up loud.
The sum of the two cobs is greater than the whole there is something about the blend that makes the high super potent.

Nextgeneration73

Ask again when you get a timer or its not going to matter.

All the members here have long experience in both growing and curing you came to the right place.
They will guide you through growing, harvesting and curing. All you have to do is take their advice.
Its free but its golden.
Yeah but it seems like I'll have to leave it vacuumed in fermentation during our travel.... I'm worried about reading how it has to be taken out to get rid of moisture...

Nextgeneration73

Yesterday I made my last cobs from this year's harvest.

View attachment 18944400 View attachment 18944401
She was taken down on the morning of January 1st.

She was hung up to dry for a week.

View attachment 18944402 here's the majority of the harvest.

Send here it is again after all the stalk has been removed.
View attachment 18944404
There's a strong smell of cat piss. I don't think it's one of our cats, because although they're clever, acrobatic little buggers and one of them does sometimes piss in the house, I doubt that they can jump 2mts in the air and piss at the same time.
There's also a smell of metal and a slight musty sweetness, so i'm very excited for larger in the year.

Here's the resultant cobs after 8 hrs at 40c and overnight drying in our warm living room.
View attachment 18944491
There now bagged up again and will sit for a week or 2 in an alcove above the wood burner. The temperatures range from anywhere from 15-35c, or possibly even more.

So that's about it for third season's cobbing for me.
It's been a very hazy year.

Killer A5 haze
Original Haze
Green haze 19 A5
Destroyer #23 x Deep chunk /Tom Hill Haze

I also haze both pheno's of Zenith and Destroyer from 2005 stock.

All in all a good result.

As a side note, @Tangwena , we both tried a small amount of 2month old, pheno 1 Zenith today; Wow, it's everything that dubi said in his description and more, but that down to the cobbing effect. In another 6 months it will be be special indeed. I hope he does it as a regular.

Saludos

Last batch of Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopia I had some more I made yesterday but deleted the photos while high ha ha.
I will post more on my return from my fishing trip in 4 weeks they should be ready to inspect by then.
I have coblets, cobs and candy bars all in the initial stages of cure.
Small cobs are better if fatter rather than long and thin it helps them to cure better.
The candy bar is about 10mm or 3/8th of an inch thick.

View attachment 18943000

View attachment 18943001
If I wanted to smoke from it, how would I grind it if it's rick hard? Or just using my fingers?

Last edited:

Nextgeneration73

^^^^ thanks man! Just in time too, I got so excited about this shit last night I went to the grocery store, bought corn, and did it. :)

sounds like putting em in my normal drying closet which maintains ~70F constantly is the proper place for this cure (not the bag of FFOF I buried them in in my garage last night while on a good one, lol).

I used just slightly over an ounce for the cob, and left the other half (another ounce) to do a jar cure, for a nice side-by-side comparison. Gonna take em out in probably in 5 days just to be safe, re-seal, then do another 5 or 7 days as you say, since it's over an ounce. here's the beginning of the journal, as you see I got lazy and used some string from a reflector hanger (didn't have any skeletons laying around to pull hemp string from). Super excited to see the results!!

So this method only works with a corn cob or what are the other alternatives?

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
I am laying wood onto a concrete staircase at the moment lots of intricate cuts.
Amazing for a guy who spent a whole year in woodworking class polishing a wooden bowl he made the year before ha ha.

I use Mulanje cobs to get me in the zone, once high I'm focused and emersed in the art of wood work ha ha.
I am using a blend of the short plant big cola and tall big cola plant from a couple of years ago and its crazy euphoric and makes me work all day with the music up loud.
The sum of the two cobs is greater than the whole there is something about the blend that makes the high super potent.
I/we love to mix different cobs.

This morning it's Zacateca tribute+ Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian + zamal/Tom Hill haze. Happy, focused, energetic. Prefect!❤
Yeah but it seems like I'll have to leave it vacuumed in fermentation during our travel.... I'm worried about reading how it has to be taken out to get rid of moisture...
No you don't, providing it's quite dry before you start. Many of us just chuck it in a bag and leave it for many months in a dark place at room temperature. In fact the long slow cures are the best, imho.

Tangwena

Veteran
It will suite your situation perfectly just allow 2 to 3 days drying time.
Vacuum seal the buds in a bag then you can then leave them until you get back without any issues at all.
If you want the advice of the members here you have to trust what they say without reservation or you will stuff it up.
Its really simple to do and works the same whether you chew it or smoke it.

Nextgeneration73

It will suite your situation perfectly just allow 2 to 3 days drying time.
Vacuum seal the buds in a bag then you can then leave them until you get back without any issues at all.
If you want the advice of the members here you have to trust what they say without reservation or you will stuff it up.
Its really simple to do and works the same whether you chew it or smoke it.
I actually remember once before in the past, bought this incredible bud but this was years back and it was still new and not even trippy or psychedelic and I was unsatisfied until I had wrapped it in paper with a shit ton of tape in my backpack and I left it there some time, opened it up once to smoke and actually felt high and then put it back like that. Over time eventually if became rock solid trippy psychedelic at least for the time being it was where I wanted to get... Does that have anything to do with similar fermentation? Or is it different...
Okay thanks crew, 😸👍

Taima-da

Sometimes it just needs a good long cure. When I used to smoke I'd notice that letting a slice of cob to get extra dry for a few days would help the effect along. Now i chew I like it a bit fresher out of the bag, speaking of which, it's that time... I think golden tiger + pineapple banana bud today

Rastafarout

Premium user
Hi Tang , been keeping an eye here very informative and keen people
I used to make cobs with the corn sheaths my dad used to live in east Africa and showed me how , nothing beats the real thing though gets you high as a kite
Anyway got some Muljane going and this thread made amped to try cobs again but with modern twist (vac) , till I can get some corn ,
Looking okay soo far , a lot easier your style 🙌🏻
IMG_5515.jpeg
IMG_5514.jpeg
IMG_5513.jpeg
IMG_5518.jpeg

Last edited: