Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Harvesting & Processing > Finish drying my bud in the freezer in my kitchen?!?

Thread Title Search
Finish drying my bud in the freezer in my kitchen?!? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-01-2011, 04:40 PM #101
rangergord

rangergord has a spectacular aura aboutrangergord has a spectacular aura aboutrangergord has a spectacular aura about
Love the thread Gill, I had experience with this phenomena in the early eighties. I harvested my plants, hung them until there was still moisture left and decided not to dry them out into hay, so I froze them so they would not mold. I had a sweet taste to my herb as a result. Similar to what happens to potatoes if they are frozen or even close to frozen. Interesting to have it confirmed by Rosenthal. You have got me trying this method on my current outdoor harvest. Hung to dry until the outer leaves are crisp but the inner leaves, stems and buds still are moist. Put it in pizza boxes and froze in the fridge freezer overnight. I took it out and it already smells better once it thawed. While storing in the freezer for longer would be fine, I am in a hurry because I have very little freezer space and a large harvest. So I am going to pass all the bud through the freezer once just until frozen and then thaw, dry further until I jar. I think this will work fairly well, I will update. eloquents experience with a frozen grow room is interesting. Makes me wonder what would happen if I left my plants outside to freeze. I think sublimation is the best description of what is happening here. There may be a weak vacuum in the frost free freezers as the fan exhausts the moisture laden air so it does not freeze to the compartment walls. I don't think a chest freezer would be quite so active but it still works. I live where winters are severe and cold. I think I will try curing outdoors this winter when I have an indoor harvest. If you hang laundry outside on the line in winter it will dry over several days as it freezes. My herb should do the same.
rangergord is offline Quote

Old 10-01-2011, 09:43 PM #102
szachtb2

szachtb2 is on a distinguished road
Just chopped some buds and am water curing a sample of the buds. I was wondering if I finished dried the for a day and throw them in the freezer if it would be worth it or not.
szachtb2 is offline Quote

Old 10-02-2011, 04:57 AM #103
Midnite Toker

Midnite Toker has a reputation beyond reputeMidnite Toker has a reputation beyond reputeMidnite Toker has a reputation beyond reputeMidnite Toker has a reputation beyond reputeMidnite Toker has a reputation beyond reputeMidnite Toker has a reputation beyond reputeMidnite Toker has a reputation beyond reputeMidnite Toker has a reputation beyond reputeMidnite Toker has a reputation beyond reputeMidnite Toker has a reputation beyond reputeMidnite Toker has a reputation beyond repute
Great thread Gill. You deserve a "sticky" (whatever that is). I'm trying this!
Midnite Toker is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:57 AM #104
cody2white
ghost in training

cody2white is just really nicecody2white is just really nicecody2white is just really nicecody2white is just really nicecody2white is just really nicecody2white is just really nicecody2white is just really nicecody2white is just really nicecody2white is just really nicecody2white is just really nicecody2white is just really nice
Tagged

Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up
cody2white is offline Quote

Old 10-03-2011, 02:33 AM #105
jus'plain'gill

jus'plain'gill is a jewel in the roughjus'plain'gill is a jewel in the roughjus'plain'gill is a jewel in the roughjus'plain'gill is a jewel in the roughjus'plain'gill is a jewel in the roughjus'plain'gill is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangergord View Post
... I am in a hurry because I have very little freezer space and a large harvest. So I am going to pass all the bud through the freezer once just until frozen and then thaw, dry further until I jar. I think this will work fairly well, I will update...
I don't have enough experience or knowledge with this method to say this without a doubt but I'll go ahead and give my opinion on your plan. I don't see the harm in doing what you've described but I also don't see how you'll be able to benefit much from your buds being in the freezer such a short period of time. One major advantage, and one reason it works so well, is that your buds are in an "ideal" environment whilst curing instead of being exposed to light and air with a "jar cure". I don't believe it is the actual temperature that gives the awesome results, I believe it is the process of sublimation at work! Does that make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by szachtb2 View Post
Just chopped some buds and am water curing a sample of the buds. I was wondering if I finished dried the for a day and throw them in the freezer if it would be worth it or not.
I wouldn't put buds that are overly moist in a freezer, I'd be too worried about the water freezing and expanding doing damage to the buds and trichomes. I'd wait until stems are beginning to snap at least. I encourage you to try either way though and share your results here so that we all know what works better and what doesn't work quite so well. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Toker View Post
Great thread Gill. You deserve a "sticky" (whatever that is). I'm trying this!
Thanks bro Try it and share your success story with us here after you've smoked your first bowl of freezer cured homegrown. I can't wait to hear back from you!

.JPG
jus'plain'gill is offline Quote

Old 10-03-2011, 05:59 AM #106
szachtb2

szachtb2 is on a distinguished road
Was gonna try to air cure, water cure, and freezer dry. and maybe some water cured with final dry in freezer once dry enough to put in freezer. I will be doing this with multiple strains each getting all of the techniques of curing. Will post smoke report in about 20 days
szachtb2 is offline Quote

Old 10-05-2011, 05:57 AM #107
jus'plain'gill

jus'plain'gill is a jewel in the roughjus'plain'gill is a jewel in the roughjus'plain'gill is a jewel in the roughjus'plain'gill is a jewel in the roughjus'plain'gill is a jewel in the roughjus'plain'gill is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by szachtb2 View Post
Was gonna try to air cure, water cure, and freezer dry. and maybe some water cured with final dry in freezer once dry enough to put in freezer. I will be doing this with multiple strains each getting all of the techniques of curing. Will post smoke report in about 20 days
That sounds like a whole lot going on all at once but if I were in a position to, I'd experiment and experiment and experiment some more too. That is how we will figure out the "best" way to do this thing!

.JPG

Old 10-05-2011, 06:19 AM #108
TNTBudSticker

TNTBudSticker is a name known to allTNTBudSticker is a name known to allTNTBudSticker is a name known to allTNTBudSticker is a name known to allTNTBudSticker is a name known to allTNTBudSticker is a name known to allTNTBudSticker is a name known to allTNTBudSticker is a name known to allTNTBudSticker is a name known to allTNTBudSticker is a name known to allTNTBudSticker is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by jus'plain'gill View Post
I didn't let my buds get dry enough to where the stem "snapped" but I did use the amount of flex in the stem as an indicator as to when they were dried enough. I would say I left as much moisture in the buds as I could without making mold growth likely over long term storage. I have buds that are still just as "fresh" as the day I put them in the jars they're in 6+months ago. It burns perfectly to a clean white ash but if there was too much more moisture you wouldn't be able to keep a joint lit, perfect. I figured it would take me a while to get through all this smoke and I didn't want to end up with dry, crumbly dust weed by the time I was getting towards the bottom of the last jars.
I do exactly that...Just a little more drying time via inside a paperbag for 6 hours..then in the jars they go and in the freezer until ready to smoke...it's just like the day you put them in the jar on the first day.I tried doing it without the freezer and it's a hassle watching and burping the jars and picking up a non weed smell that never happens when good weed comes across the land or room-mates.I bet that weed was IN the freezer before it was let loose in the wild for friends to smoke.
TNTBudSticker is offline Quote

0 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:57 PM #109
jus'plain'gill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTBudSticker View Post
I do exactly that...Just a little more drying time via inside a paperbag for 6 hours..then in the jars they go and in the freezer until ready to smoke...it's just like the day you put them in the jar on the first day.I tried doing it without the freezer and it's a hassle watching and burping the jars and picking up a non weed smell that never happens when good weed comes across the land or room-mates.I bet that weed was IN the freezer before it was let loose in the wild for friends to smoke.

So you not only cure your pot in the freezer but you also store it in there, sealed up in jars, for the long term? I have considered doing that but instead I just leave them jarred up at room temperature in a dark place. If I thought my harvest would last more than 6-12 months I would probably store some in the freezer but it gets smoked before then so I'm not sure if I would see much benefit from freezer storing my pot. Any thoughts from your perspective?

.JPG

Old 10-12-2011, 12:10 AM #110
gingerale
Banned

gingerale is a name known to allgingerale is a name known to allgingerale is a name known to allgingerale is a name known to allgingerale is a name known to allgingerale is a name known to allgingerale is a name known to allgingerale is a name known to allgingerale is a name known to allgingerale is a name known to allgingerale is a name known to all
Thanks for posting this, I'm gonna give it a try soon.
gingerale is offline Quote