What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hashplants

Carraxe

Veteran
Lapis mtn indica is Deepchunk x Lapis mountain afghan landrace, Cannacopia seeds said the afghan landrace came from a small village up in the afghan mountains near some huge untapped Lapis lazuli mine but didnt say exactly where.

I need to run the Taskenti again its been years i only have about 15 seeds i plan on making more beans in a open pollination for preservation before the seeds go bad hopefully late spring i'll get to it....as you know Carraxe is already on it i dont know if he plans on putting them out for the public theres a lot of people that want them.

Lashkar Gah Afghani Landrace got as a freebie years ago through seedbay
View Image

pressed kif i made from Lapis Mtn Indica not the purest but it was damn good
View Image

Hi! Yes, I'm working on Taskenti and results are being nice. Seedbay doesn't work, but I answer mails, in case there are people interested in my seeds.

Good work here and there with the hashplants. Mouth-watering buds! Keep up the good work!

Cheers

therevverend

Veteran
icon's stuff is awesome. Every one of those strains is an authentic real deal hashplant. Reminds me of the stuff I was growing when I started out in the early 90s. Purple and green hashplants coming out of Mendocino. The flavors were incredible, from nasty to hashy to fruity. The Garberville Purple Kush especially takes me back. That's what Kush was before OG Kush and all it's friends came along to confuse the ganja name game.

therevverend

Veteran
Now that the season is over and the ganja is dried it's time for the real work to begin. Sorting and trimming and the fun work of hashish making. I've got quite a bit of ganja left over from last year it's starting to smell and look it's age. This kind of stuff is perfect for hashish making.

A lot of times you don't see mistakes and screw ups people want to show their best tastiest stuff. My first batch of hashish made from last year's leftovers came out good but flawed. Here's a couple pictures:

picture.php

picture.php

As you can see it's far to crumbly. Doesn't want to stay together. There's two reasons for this. One is that it's old resin that's very dry and not as sticky. The second reason is that it clumped up in my select sieve stack, I wasn't able to filter out all the plant matter and impurities.

Even so it's kick ass hashish very aromatic. I used a mix of different strains which makes it especially flavorful. The different terpenes working together. I hand pressed it using a space heater and a table leg. The space heater blew hot air on the table leg making it warm. i kneaded the resin with my hands, shaping it into a ball then pressing it flat several times.

The last time I formed it into a ball then pressed it against the table leg flat. With the heater blowing warm air the entire time I pressed it hard against the table leg then flipped it. Pressed the other side then flipped it again. Until it formed the chunk you see in the picture.

If I wanted to fix the crumble problem I could have gotten it hotter and melted the resin together. I didn't want to go to the bother all the heat would have broken down the THC and terpenes in hashish that was already old. This wasn't exactly a failure but next time I'll sift smaller amounts of resin through my screen stack so it doesn't clump up.

What can I say about the smoke? Tasty and very stoney. The age mellows out a lot of the sharp harshness fresh resin can have. Not as electric psychedelic as new resin can be. It's got that old fashioned hashish taste if you've ever smoked good Afghani or Lebanese.

Next time, resin from the new crop!

therevverend

Veteran
To me the biggest technological breakthrough in hashish production is dry ice. It makes it so much quicker and easier. I used to do my sifting in the garage on cold winter days, it's certainly possible to make hashish indoors and in warmer conditions but the resin tends to clog the screens. I like it cold so the trichomes shatter and fall through the screen.

I start with a bulk sieving, all the plant material with dry ice mixed in thrashed over a screen. When I use dry ice I don't have to break up the plant material first the dry ice does it for me. I don't have to thrash it as long either. I'm careful not to let it get too pulverized or else too much plant matter gets through the screen.

Once I have a large amount of resin I move it to my select sieve stack. For ease I use 2 screens. I like the top screen between 220 and 180 microns, the bottom screen 45 microns. This time I was using this year's cannabis and it made a big difference. Mini buds with a few larger buds and a bit of trim mixed in. Here's how it looked after the bulk screening and the 220 micron screening. If you look closely you can see greenish parts that are probably plant matter and other contaminates.

picture.php

Most of it went easily through the 220 micron because my bulk screen was about the same size. It did screen out some plant material, hairs, and other contaminates but most of the material slipped through.

For the select sieving I also use dry ice. I use a fine paintbrush to push the resin around the screen. The dry ice keeps it cold and dry so it slides easily through the screen.

picture.php

This is the 45 micron screening. It's a very important step. The smaller contaminates, dust, mold, and plant matter will all fall out the bottom. After the screening I noticed a couple of the buds had a bit of mold in the middle. Not the sort of stuff I want to smoke and this is the beauty of screening your resin in a select sieve stack.

This is the pan from the bottom of the stack. If you looked at it and rubbed your finger on it the contaminates would look like blonde hash. When I piled it up and took a picture it looked much different!

picture.php

Nasty! Any mold that fell off the tumbled buds ended up in this pile at the bottom. This is the step I bungled in my previous post, part of why the hashish was crumbly and dark brown instead of golden brown. The age was part of it but removing the mold spores, dirt, and vegetable matter makes a big difference. This is a step most hash makers skip, it's the difference between very good hash and amazing one of a kind hash.

After it's cleaned up the hashish looks like this:

picture.php

At this point I'm done sifting, time for pressing. IC limits the number of pictures you can show per post, I'm going to have to start a new one to show the pressing.

therevverend

Veteran
Now that I've got my beautiful blonde resin it's time to press. I like to put it on a piece of plastic wrap so I don't have to worry about spillage. Then I hand press it. If your resin is pure it should stick together easily. This is what happened when I gathered the resin in the middle of the plastic wrap and made a fist.

picture.php

Then I squeezed it between my hands into a patty cake.

picture.php

Now it needs a bit of heat and pressure to form it into a proper hashish piece. I used the same method as before, a space heater blowing hot air onto a table leg. I pressed the wrapped resin as hard as I could against the warm table leg with the hot air blowing. Then flipped it over and pressed some more.

The first noticeable difference is that my hashish packet would stick to the table leg. My packet from the earlier batch slid down the leg and fell on the ground. The stickiness is a good sign. I watched the color of the hash as I pressed it once it started looking golden brown and felt hard I removed the wrap.

picture.php

Now that's a piece of hashish! The smell is amazing. I've seen in other threads posters have said that using dry ice destroys the terpenes, makes the hashish flavorless or whatever. I disagree. You can't imagine how good this hash chunk smells. Here's a close up so you can see the glossy bit up close.

picture.php

You can see the gloss is just the individual resin glands. You can keep your BHO or shatter or rosin or whatever else is out there. I'll take this hashish over any extraction method. Water hashish is nice and it can be very pure but you don't get the same terpene content and flavor.

There's lots of different ways to press, I like squishing it against or between warm objects. The pressing makes it less harsh and makes it so it burns evenly. The select sieve stack method, really it's the old school Afghani method, is the best of the best.

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
So with all this Hype and talk about people purchasing Coastal seeds Phuck Yeah Hashplant, nobody has any pictures or a grow about them?

Last edited:

Dogtown

Hi icon,

your Hashplants looking lovely! Really mouthwatering looking at them. How was the effect of the Lashkar Gah Afghani Landrace? Did you make an F2 from the Lapis Mountain Indica and the Lashkar Gah Afghani Landrace? [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

therevverend

Veteran
Time to get the Hashplant thread up and going again. This year I'm not growing anywhere near the number of hashplants I did last year. At least not as many pure hashplants, I've still got quite a bit of genetics from hash making regions. Quite a few purples, I'm hoping for good examples of Purple Kushes which I didn't have much of last year.

I was trimming some White Lotus from last year, got to say that's one of the best hashplants I've grown. Awesome hash flavor and tons of resin. Never had the straight up White it must be a hell of a hashplant. In about 50 minutes I trimmed a branch and a half. Handling the flowers carefully I still ended up with this much hash collected from my fingers.

picture.php

I know it's just a bowlful but what a bowl! White Lotus isn't a vigorous strain, it grows at it's own pace and gets up to 7 feet outside at the most. Maybe in a hotter climate it would get bigger but it's got to be almost all Afghan genetics. I probably mentioned earlier but it's a Bodhi strain, The White x Snow Lotus. Makes me eager to try other White crosses, White x Glue is probably an incredible hashplant. Indoors they'd be ass kickers. Outdoors the October finish is nice but the mold will get you if it rains a lot. Despite the mold susceptibility White Lotus has a good structure for fighting mold, even if one part of a bud molds it doesn't spread to the rest of the bud.

Here's my only White Lotus seedling. It's growing at it's own pace, nowhere near as vigorous as it's brothers and sisters. Still it's coming along and already has the markers I like. Look how round the leaves are.

picture.php

That's from a couple weeks back, she's much bigger now. I got some 88G13HP seeds. Not sure about the details, I know there's different cuts and lines. I'm happy so far the seedlings are coming along.

picture.php

Once again old pics, now they're in bigger pots and have doubled and tripled in size. As a contrast to the Afghan hashplant types here's a picture of a Kuamoni seedling from The Real Seed Company. A real Himalayan hashplant. Very different look.

picture.php

Another old picture, much happier and bigger now that it's dried out. The leaves look more like a regular ganja plant now. I've got some Azad Kashmiri going, excited to see what those do. When I have more time I'll get some better pics.

therevverend

Veteran
As I play around with my hashplants, shaking them through screens and pressing. I'm noticing that the effects people report for Afghani varieties and Afghani hashish has a lot to do with how the hashish is pressed. Many of these techniques, especially for larger amounts, involve heating the hashish to the boiling point of water or higher. This changes the chemistry of the resin, makes it much more couch lock, narcotic, and stupefying. Resin from a hashplant will produce a psychedelic clear headed high when the resin is hand pressed, when it's heated and subjected to high pressure it turns into brain smasher. Then there's the Pot of Gold Hashplant, which is stupefying couch lock in bud form.

I'm realizing pressing a few grams is one thing, pressing over an ounce is another. Here's pictures of my attempt.

First the pure resin powder. Twice sifted at 150 microns, then sifted at 48 microns to remove dust. Multiple siftings are the way to go for quality.

picture.php

I've realized if I wrap the resin in cellophane and boil it for a couple minutes it becomes much easier to press. When I've got more then I can press with my hands or weights. The problem is finding a proper mold. Here's my first attempt, I tried bat pressing. It was a failure.

picture.php

Crumbly and misshapen, it doesn't to the resin justice. Once you heat and press a piece of hashish it doesn't want to be pressed again. Even after I heated it, it wasn't as pliable and stable as unpressed resin powder.

I had an egg carton shaped piece of plastic, I decided to use that. Still crumbly around the edges but it worked all right.

picture.php

Of course if I'd used smaller amounts, just filled the round plastic hole, it would have worked great. The point of this experiment was to find ways to press larger amounts of resin. Wasn't a success but it gave me ideas. It's fun to have enough resin to mess around like this.

Now I've purchased a hair curler and I'm playing with rosin. I'm impressed, very little is lost when using hashish from this chunk. Much better stuff then the other types of super extraction and keeps the delicious taste. It's overkill, really not necessary considering how potent the hashish already is.

therevverend

Veteran
I love this time of year, the days are long and warm but not too warm. Everything is growing like crazy and I'm busy in the garden every day. My cabbages have overgrown their area, ran out of space so I need to get transplanting. I've got tomato and tomatillo volunteers to transplant. And thirsty plants, always thirsty.

Finding good potting soil is getting harder. I stick most of my stuff in the ground, it started out sandy but it's gotten built up pretty well. I start my plants in containers, often until they sex, so building a good mix is important. I got organic mix from the local nursery, I'd used it before but this year it's horrible. Here's a picture of a Durango OG around 10 days after getting transplanted.

picture.php

Wish I had before pictures, it was beautiful. I ended up culling it, got enough plants already and it was already small. A slow growing strain like Durango would take a long time to recover. Here's a picture of a Grape Ape x Early Girl suffering from the bad mix.

picture.php

I'm pissed. I only transplanted a few of my plants into it and they were the runts and later sprouting ones so it's not a big setback. When I re-pot into good dirt I've noticed the plants aren't growing roots into the bad mix. It's full of manure and it's too heavy so it doesn't drain. The soil is rotting, smells terrible. I was low on perlite which makes the problem even worse. The nursery is a popular one, I see their soil at a lot of grocery stores. I'm probably not the only one pissed off.

Onto the hashplants. Here's the Azad Kashmir. None of them have sexed yet.

picture.php

Love the reptilian serrations, similar to the Durango OG. Here's the bushier one.

picture.php

Got to get it into a bigger container or the ground. Hopefully one or both are females.

Here's a stout little hashplant, Burkle 2.0. Bubba kush x Purple Urkle. Don't know how big it will get but I expect it's flowers to be excellent.

picture.php

I was tempted to make up a crazy story, about how it came from a friend of a friend of somebody's uncle who was stationed in Balochistan 20 years ago. In the Registan desert in southern Afghanistan. It's got that look, and to remind everyone that you should never believe origin stories from growers...

BearCreekFarms

nice work with the kief, thanks for posting this thread. Where do you source your screens, if you dont mind me asking........

Thanks for taking the time to put this thread together, and keep it going, very informative, to say the least.

Nice work man!

best regards,

mendel

therevverend

Veteran
Where do you source your screens, if you dont mind me asking........

Quite a while back I bought a large sheet of stainless steel 180 micron screen. I bought it in the industrial part of time, from a sheet metal supply type place. I'm sure you could find the same thing using the internet. The sheet has lasted me 15 years, I've cut off squares, made frames that fit them, and used them for sifting Moroccan style. Put the dry ice and cannabis inside and beat on it with sticks. Set it on a clean table with a very smooth surface. That's worked for years.

Last year I got interested in the new technology out there, everything being much easier to obtain. I forked out for a box style tumbler with a silk screen type bag inside that spins around. Put your cannabis and dry ice inside, plug it in, and an engine does all the work. You can find them online or build your own. On the one hand they're a bit spendy but it's worth it for the amount you can tumble at one time. Google pollen extractor, there used to be a guy around here that was selling them not sure if he is anymore. The keys are not overloading the machine, it can only spin so much at a time. The other weak point is going to be the screen, silkscreen isn't as tough as stainless steel it'll need to be replaced at some point.

Another component I've always use is lab testing sieves, you can google it. A chemistry buddy of mine turned me on to them years ago. Once the resin powder is collected from the bulk sieving you can use them to select sieve. They come in every size you can imagine, for our purposes 250 microns down to 30 microns in 5 micron increments. For instance last time I collected the resin from my tumbler then put it in the 150 micron test screen. It's surprising the amount of large stuff that gets filtered out, even after it's been through the tumbler.

therevverend

Veteran
Here's a picture of the 5 G's Blue. It's a 5 way hybrid, not a hashplant but it's got the look. Has a blueberry smell, the most blueberry I've smelled in quite a while. I love the leaf shape, it's already shown female, I'm happy.

picture.php

I notice this with some of these multi-strain hybrids, if you select for certain recessive traits you can breed back to type. The stem is very thick, leaves are wide, she's definitely a breeder.

Now we're getting into the larger plants that are more hybridized, not really hashplants. There's certainly hashplant genetics in there, the wide leaves and smell give it away, but the build of the plants is California hybrid. Here's a Grape Ape x Early Girl.

picture.php

A lot of these Grape Apes have a tall upright structure. One of my favorite strains love the grape candy smell. Compare this one to the picture of the same strain two posts back, the one in the bad soil mix.

Here's Bodhi's Soulmate. I haven't tried either Goji OG or Wookie so I wanted to give this one a try. It's an odd one, very big leaves. The new growth is very yellowish because she's growing so fast. And she's a she already sexed.

picture.php

One more, here's an Ancient OG. Bodhi strains always do well outdoors although they barely finish in time at my latitude. Almost certain it's a male, much smaller plants have already shown female. Has suspicious looking pre-flowers but nothing certain. Very tempted to dig it up and put in a sure female. It started out with very narrow leaves compared to it's sisters. Now they're fattening up. I'd be surprised if this strain was 50% Iranian, it's got to be hybrid x hybrid, a lot of variation between plants. In every way, vigor, height, leaf shape. I'm excited by my females can't wait to see the different phenotypes.

picture.php

grayeyes

Revv,

I saw a video with Frenchie Cannoli pressing hash in plastic with a wine bottle filled with boiling water. He wore gloves and the combo of heat and pressure gave him results he was seemingly happy with.

Has anyone else tried this method for pressing?

therevverend

Veteran
I saw a video with Frenchie Cannoli pressing hash in plastic with a wine bottle filled with boiling water. He wore gloves and the combo of heat and pressure gave him results he was seemingly happy with.

Has anyone else tried this method for pressing?
That's a good idea it would work great for small to medium quantities. I've had good results with similar heat and squish techniques up to 30-35 grams. More then that, why my resin pressed so poorly, was because the resin in the middle doesn't get enough heat and pressure. The outside gets pressed and heated, the inside is still loose resin powder so it wants to squish out the sides. That's what's going on in the pictures above. Purity is another factor. If it has a lot of plant matter you need more heat and resin. Dryness is another factor, I've had to add a few drops of water to get very dry resin to stick.

therevverend

Veteran
I'd like to post a before and after picture to show how strong cannabis plants are, how strong Mother Nature is right now, the long warm days and bright sun. Combined with good genetics.

Last year some of my purposely seeded bud turned to grey slime and I already had enough seeds. When I was harvesting I through several of the rotten buds on the ground. In early March I had a half dozen or so volunteers sprout. I didn't take good care of them, didn't transplant them or put them in special soil. Just left them in the ground where they sprouted until they got in the way or had to be moved.

I had a group of 3 crowded together, all sprouted from almost the same spot. I dug the scraggiest one up and instead of culling it stuck it in the ground in the potato patch. Dumped a bit of horse manure and other fertilizers on it when I was fertilizing the potatoes but otherwise left it to it's own devices. I thought it would turn into a scraggy hempy looking probable male. Here's what it looked like.

picture.php

That was around May 20th, now it's June 20th and I took another picture. Check it out.

picture.php

Not bad even though it's potato sized. Fairly certain it's female, I could see it turning into a decent plant although it doesn't get as much light as I'd like where it's at.

While I'm at it I'll show the two bigger sibling volunteers. Here's a shot of all three together a month ago.

picture.php

You can see how much bigger big sis is. Here's a picture of her now. I culled the other sibling last week, didn't sex in time and digging it up and separating would be too traumatic. I guessed male. You can see the gap where the plant doesn't have any branches, the space the sibling took up.

picture.php

She is up to my chin, very bushy. This is what I like about outdoor growing. Fast growth and big plants. From the smell and look I'm thinking Pot of Gold Hashplant but it could also be a Mextiza hybrid. Either way I'm happy. I don't grow unknown plants very often, I've got too many excellent select seeds to waste time on random stuff. Every now and then it's fun to roll the dice plus I have a pretty good idea that the seeds weren't accidental.

I haven't moved it from the spot she sprouted which is why it's surrounded by potato plants. I transplanted quite a few potatoes and replaced the soil with chicken and horse manure, epsom salt, and a few kinds of granulated fertilizer. So far no sign of deficiencies. Using a lot of epsom salt on the potatoes this year, I've been getting some scab, hopefully the magnesium clears that up. I'm guessing I'll be seeing some big potatoes this year.

therevverend

Veteran
That little transplanted volunteer is growing it's heart out. Since I had quite a bit of moldy buds I tossed on the ground it's tricky to guess the strain. For much of the time I've thought the volunteers were Pot of Gold Hashplant. It's strange, after falling in love with the POG Hashplant the last two years both me and my friend who gifted the seeds aren't growing any this year. Part of the reason is that the original seeds are almost gone, the breeder lost all his seeds in the California wildfires in 2017. There's only around 20 left. For better or worse if the strain is going to survive it's in our hands. Probably better to hold onto those few seeds for future back crossing.

Anyway now I'm second guessing the POG HP ID, the volunteers are looking and smelling like Purple Lui x Bubblegum. I know I've alternated the spelling between Looie, Lui, Louis, no idea which one is correct. Growers trying to be playful and funny, writing it differently on every label. I'm guessing Louie is the right spelling, or Lui if he's Spanish speaking. The name isn't what's important the strain is and it kicks butt it's been one of my best for the last 6 or 7 years. Most of the Louie I've grown has been hybrids, Louie x Bubblegum is a real improvement but I still have some of the original seed from Louie. Growing a few out this year and considering using a male to make back crosses. Here's a picture.

picture.php

picture.php

In previous grows I'd considered it a Purple Kush type, one of the many purple Mendocino strains that I've always thought were Thai x Purple Kush. Seeing the original has me second guessing that, much more gracile and stringy then the Kushes along with fruity not skunky notes. Has me wondering if there's Nepalese in the mix, Mexican seems likely too. I'll probably never know but it's a hell of a strain, vigorous, early, fantastic smell and color. Here's a picture of a Lui x Early Girl near harvest time.

picture.php

Smells better then it looks, and the smells really come through in the hybrids. Here's a picture of the biggest volunteer, it's 7 feet and bushy. Showing the upright structure and long branching Louie hybrids tend to show.

picture.php

The more I look at it the more I think it's Lui. I love the candelabra type bud formation and open structure, as a breeder it's something to look for. Here's another old Louie flowering picture showing what I'm talking about.

picture.php

Love those type of flowers, very easy to trim. Everything in the garden is getting big, from the potatoes to the ganja to the zucchini to the tomatoes. It's been an extended spring, lots of wet weather and sun, the weeds are getting huge. One is truly impressive, as big as my ganja plants I should take a picture. Still a month away from the start of flowering, I'm worried that the plants are running out of space to bush out.

grayeyes

Looks like an impressive harvest. Congrats!

As far as mold, I have a friend in OR who after fighting that for a while stuck all his into greenhouses. His mold ratio went way down.

At present I am growing Afghani No. 1. Nice bushy plants that are starting to stretch as the days grow warmer. I am going to grow those sinsemilla so when the males pop up they are getting culled. I have plenty of seeds.

I this spring grew some SSH that turned out pretty well. I took all my trimmings and dried and cured them for several months. I then took a 73 micron bag and some pelletized dry ice. Shook them gently over a bucket. First two shakings came out a little green but nice dry heads. The third one came out wet, I guess as it had been sitting in the ice for a while.

Took it and set it on a plate in a dark room for a while. Tried it out yesterday, now dry.
Nice high with interesting almost fruity taste. Makes me think about doing some flowers now.

Thank you for the interesting thread.

Dog Star

Veteran
For mold use Chitosan hydrocloride,it will protect your plants from all kind of
funghal illnesses..

it doesnt hurt mycorhiza,actually works in synergy and made mykos stronger..

2 grams per liter of water for protection/prevention soluble light yellow dust
that need some efforts to melt,specialy in cold water... but keeps pathogens
at bay and your plant will not have any mold issues..

its good also to use it after 5-6 week when buds start to chunk same dosage
of 2 grams per liter of water..

Here is a link to product... maybe you have something simmilar on your market,
it doesnt need to be from same company...

http://chipro.de/products/chiproplant/

CannaZen

My god, how longs that been growing there. How is it flowering this time of year. umm i thought it had pink pistils. Looks like it does well for your climate. You know purple stem and plants might do well its oxidized metabolism.