What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What am I doing wrong ?? (Pics)

hash head

It is between 4-6 months old, kept in cool conditions. Im not sure if thats considered "old" to the point where products are inferior? I was under the assumption that 3+ months of cure make a product the best.

Now at 4+ months were saying "oh thats old product, no good!"
mhhhhh :chin:

Ever heard of live resin? Terpenes are at their highest levels in fresher material.. Curing of bud that is going to be smoked is partially related to the loss of clorophyll over time.. something that if done right isn't extracted when making concentrates.. Fresher material the more terps and lighter colour possible for an extract

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Been using 18" glass tube last few runs. Ive also been getting better results, like you said it is lighter as well. The main issue was that it was waxing up texture wise. I see a bit of that on some parts only now so thats enemy number one. Most of it has turned out translucent/ clear though. Still trying to figure out what the reason is for it turning cloudy waxy textures. Yes parchment paper which is baking paper, with no wax.

hash head

when you grind the material it breaks open all the leaf cell structure so that more clorophyll and plant fats and lipids are released into the solvent..

hash head

sometimes moisture will create different textures, also if it has the right amount of terpenes than sometimes the thca will semi crystallized and create a grainy texture like wet sand almost.. this is sometimes called sugar wax .. if it tastes good and you enjoy it then you shouldn't worry about the consistency.. You could try taking a hair blow dryer or heat gun on low to it and see if slightly melting it all after you are finished purging if it changes the transparency or texture at all.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Ok so heres the last batch, I did BHO it was waxy, so I winterized it, 1 week in freezer at -6F, then filter through 2.5 micron filter, then purged it under vacuum / 115F. It looked promising at I could see a fair bit of wax was removed but as it purged at 4-6 hours in it waxed up again. So this means that winterzing will not solve my problems.

I think it goes back to Material/Grinding/Moisture, so I will not grind up my buds at all on the next run, put it in the food dehydrator, when packing it Im thinking it will get crushed plenty as its so dry that no blending is needed. And then I will actually seal the tube airtight before putting in freezer so it absorbs no moisture.

So will put those 2 metrics to the test on the next run.

I did have some decent results when not grinding to a powder in the past, and it may have been dryer than this last run as well.

Heres Pics of winterizing ethanol process.

BHO after Purge 24 hours/ Full VAC / 110F
picture.php

Waxes removed in coffee filter, did another filtration with a 2.5 micron that removed some more after

picture.php

Ethanol on parchment
picture.php

4-6 Hours into purge full vac/ 105-115F
picture.php

After 36 hours... It was still a little sticky, more than BHO I find, so I put it under a fan for 3 days to try and evaporate any remaining ethanol. Seemed to make a difference, in freezer now, Have only tried it once or twice, didn't notice a world of difference other than that it has less flavour as is mentioned, but it wasn't way more potent or way more smoother. Still needs more testing !
picture.php

Mengsk

I'll try to get a tutorial up soon for what I've tried a few times. I opted for the quick wash protocols from Skunk Pharm Research rather than butane for several reasons. Not a this vs that they both work but it can get complicated with all the variables. Instead of fresh, I have been using picked apart and left out dried buds not ground up but small. The terpene profile is different for sure but I think what's left is THC. Good ethanol is expensive compared to iso or denatured, it does evaporate overnight. I don't know if a vacuum pump is worth the trouble for this volume vs thin film evaporation. I made an intake filter for a 4" fan with a piece of 25 micron polyester felt filter media and used filter paper with a vacuum funnel after the glass and stainless french press.

This is a gift, I've switched to rosin :)

Attachments

• rosin.JPG
    rosin.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I usually make a boat out of the parchment paper by folding the edges up and pore the bho into it. I let it get to the thicker consistency in the paper so I don't have to scrape it up. This whips it less and makes it more shatter like after purge.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Question: Does it really take 24 hours to purge BHO?

Without lab tests its really hard to say, but Ive read of so many people doing 36-48 hour purges that I do at least 24 hours, and assume it can't hurt. I rather be on the safe side and overpurge as I share it with other people. It def waxes up before the purge is complete already so its not the issue.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
I usually make a boat out of the parchment paper by folding the edges up and pore the bho into it. I let it get to the thicker consistency in the paper so I don't have to scrape it up. This whips it less and makes it more shatter like after purge.

I did that once as well, and didn't get different result, infact it kind of made the parchment paper wet and ended up sticking to it after purge was complete. I have experimented with more of a runny texture when transfering from pyrex to parchment, and it also didn't make a difference, in fact once when I wasn't trying to make shatter I scraped and stirred the hell out of it and let temps get to 130F and it turned into rock hard clear shatter. Go figure. I think that was a time when it was dry material and not blended fine though. Until next batch and report. Over and out.

Latest posts

Latest posts