What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is Malawi by Ace Seeds meant to be Malawi Gold?

bigbadbiddy

Ace's Malawi is Ace's Malawi.

It is their version of Malawi genetics, stabilized, inbred etc.

When Ace got their parent stock, it might have been called "Malawi Gold".

What I can tell you is that if you buy Malawi Gold and Ace Malawi, you will find similarities but also differences. It will not be the exact same strain but it will have similarities.

My assumption would be that the Ace Malawi will, among other things, be much better suited for indoor growing (flowering time, stretch, etc.) as it is my understanding that the Ace guys bred the Malawi with indoor cultivation in mind (or at least breeding it in a way that also allows for indoor cultivation).

I would surmise that some of the Malawi Gold or other Malawi strains on the market might not grow so well indoors etc.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Good answer bigbadbiddy imo,

I was really impressed with the breeding work done on that strain, such quick flowering plants that yield so well, and of a nice fruity bud. Although I know Dubi and trust him I was still a bit disbelieving that it was a pure staiva, but it is, I think a few generations of proper selective breeding, something absurdly rare in this business.

I have some Malawi x Panama and Panama x Malawi which I am really looking forward to running, I ran the straight Panama alongside the Malawi before. Has anybody got any experiences of these 2 ?

B

blue_tick

chaos

i have the malawi x panama as well but looking forward to running it this outdoor season along with congo x panama and angola x panama. i have only seen what mayan did with the malawi x panama and it look stellar and i think he took it at 80 day,s flower

peace

30years

I really like the ace Malawi line. Very consistent with a nice distribution between oily wood, carrot and fruity. I kept a male that reeked of lemon oil in 110 degree heat outside. Most pungent plant in the entire test, period. Was so oily to the touch that I thought it had been sprayed with something until I realized it was just how he rolls. Touching the stem made your hands shine and just stink. I kept two mean females also.
I too have some Of the Panama Malawi hybrids but I am too full to test this year. From ace other than the two Malawi females I kept for the farm I am going to dive into the haze x China and the reg version of golden tiger. I have a few hundred of the goldens and just want to see the line unfold before I go that deep. Same with the haze lines. I went big a few years ago and have just been waiting for time to do a sift big enough to find the right cultivar.
I love ace seeds. The zamal hash was Dank too. Beautiful outdoors.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Not the kind of information that breeders share I guess, secrets of the trade if you know what I mean.

By the way... original Malawi "Killer" cut used to develope the strain was simply an African Seeds Malawi clone-only female found many years ago by a spanish grower and kept since then. At least that's what Charlie Garcia and even Dubi said at the spanish boards. So "their" Malawi is basically their own version or hybrids made with that old AS Malawi clone.

The clone was pretty widespread around Spain during the past years. It's pretty heavy in effect, a bit of a couchlock but AS Malawi Gold wasn't the best available anyway. Afropips and Dr Greenthumb's Malawis were both nicer representations with cleaner energetic effect and slender looks. Same happens with AS Nigerian, the plants had that hybrid look and a grower here even reported mold at the top buds within most compact phenos.

Malawi from Afropips:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=235967

AS Malawi can still be found under the name of African Buzz at Seedsman seeds. They mostly reproduced the line so if someone is looking for the original African Seeds genes it could be an option, at least it used to be a good one in the past. Zambian Copper is another similar and untamed strain that was only reproduced in pure form. Tropical Seeds Co used to have them available.

Some people had good experiences with Mulanje Gold too and some of those other seeds. Pics are in the previous thread as well.

Peace.

Genghis Kush

I am currently growing Seedsmans African Buzz and Seeds of Africa's Malawi Gold

the African Buzz is definitely a hybrid

the Seeds of Africa version is legit African looking but I have my doubts about its provenance.

my gut tells me all the Seeds of Africa strains where collected from villages in the Transkei and then labeled with different names for marketing reasons.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
bangi haze was also listed as 100% sativa first, now its 70% sativa. for sure ace´s malawi doesnt look like malawi you can see on movies from malawi, but what do i know? :D

bigbadbiddy

Very interesting turn of conversation if you ask me!

Seeing as ACE's reputation is impeccable here on the board and elsewhere, it surely would be very interesting to know if strains are declared 100% Sativa and "bred over many years to suit indoor conditions" while in fact they were simply crossed to this or that recessive/low-key Indica in order to make it more suitable for indoor growing.

Not that something would be wrong with that but it would be very interesting to know and I would like to know why they try to seem like something they aren't.

I would have no problem with the Malawi being a hybrid but I would like to know about it...

What peaks my interest in this statement and gives it weight to me, is that I too remember Bangi Haze being listed as 100% Sativa. I think I have a pamphlet from ACE where it says 100% Sativa still.
And now it is indeed listed as a hybrid. Makes me curious.

Like I said, nothing wrong with the Malawi being a hybrid, too.
But I wouldn't want to be running around, telling people I am working with landrace while it is indeed a hybrid...

Why not just be upfront about it?

idiit

Veteran
No, SOA Malawi Gold is the real deal, ask idiit he has experience with it and smoked it every day for 3 years lol
that's kinda funny. :) i'm no expert. I have smoked the soa Malawi Gold going into my 4th year now (iirc 4th year) and it's my favorite smoke. I just happened to get a plant I kept cuts of and like. I've grown and smoked Dubi's Malawi and really like it. Ace Malawi has better hybrid vigor in my experience. They both are very hardy and very potent with potentially strong psychoactive highs.

Ace and CBG landrace based strains are very well worked. both companies offer superb customer service and both Dubi and Kaiki are available for direct communication.

SOA strains are field collected and then sold "as is" imo.

landraces are available from other sources but pretty much everyone seems to agree that the ^ above appraisals of Ace and CBG are on the mark.

I like venturing off into the lesser well known strains for fun. I can read lots of posts and see lots of pictures of Ace and CBG gear whereas almost nothing is known about some of the strains I try out.

The led lights look like they are going to make indoor grows of landrace sativa aka nld based strains much more productive and much easier to pull off satisfactory to excellent harvests. I recently switched to the new 315 lec aka cmh and i'm real impressed so far. this is great news for Ace, CBG and other landrace purveyors as the smoko is so gooood on many landrace sativa based strains.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=316097

^ Terpene's great thread here on Ace forums threads (includes led tips).

Philips 315w CDM Elite (CMH): https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=299165

^ what i'm now using. plug and play, ballast in the fixture. Idiit the reindeer dinosaur should of done this much earlier.

christmas-dinosaur-santa-ride-martin-davey.jpg

ic

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
i didnt want badmouthing ace i was always satisfied with those seeds, more like malawi from african seeds is hybrid as also seedsman ´s african buzz looks like hybrid. just that heavy hardcore narcotic trance effect makes you speculate :D

Last edited:

Genghis Kush

only way to know for sure is to send a seed to Phylos and find out where it sits in their galaxy.

My bet is that its not a pure tropical landrace.

Panama Standard which I am assuming is Aces is only about 1/3 landraces according to phylos.

Even Mangobiche is tainted.

therevverend

Veteran
Having grown Ace's Malawi my money's on hybrid as well. Wide leaf vs thin leaf is not the way to tell 'sativas' from 'Indicas'. Because 'Indicas' only come from a small part of Asia. I've seen plenty of strains from other parts of the world produce wider leaves then the extremely thin leaves we instantly recognize as pure 100% sativas.
However with Ace's besides the wide leaves there was flowering time, cola shape, and stature of the plant. It would take some serious inbreeding to get all those traits to come together in a strain. And their Malawi is not inbred.
Great company, great strains. Just no way a 100% tropical sativa is ever going to fit into a cozy indoor grow. They do a great job of making this stuff available to the average growers which most seed companies don't attempt.

corky1968

Veteran
I'm glad I still have a pack of Malawi Gold by African Seeds.

I have to try them in 2017 before they go bad.

So many plant types. Not enough room to grow them all.

baduy

Not even mentioning human migrations and the trade roads since the antiquity I'd like to add that for milleniums millions of migrating birds have been travelling from lake malawi till the middle east back and forth sowing seeds on their way. Unlike the geography of Asia there is no natural barrier (Himalaya it is) on the road. Nature is the great breeder and there is not much we can do about that so I would give Ace the benefit of doubt. This malawi is most probably hybridized indeed considering the lattitude and the flowering time but I don't see reasons to think of this as a sneaky move from Ace, They are pretty straighforward about there genetics and often mention if they used PCK at one point on a line for instance.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
only way to know for sure is to send a seed to Phylos and find out where it sits in their galaxy.

My bet is that its not a pure landrace.

Panama Standard which I am assuming is Aces is only about 1/3 landraces according to phylos.

Even Mangobiche is tainted.

Is there any way to estimate what they are tainted with? Modern hybrids or hashplants? It would be awesome to know just which strains are completely free of wld influence.

Genghis Kush

Is there any way to estimate what they are tainted with? Modern hybrids or hashplants? It would be awesome to know just which strains are completely free of wld influence.

I'm not completely sure how the phylos galaxy works to be honest.

I have the same question as you concerning how you determine if the OG in mangobiche is actually modern OGKush or if its just hashplants that share similar genetic components.

I'm going to PM Sam and ask if he can explain that

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Nature is the great breeder and there is not much we can do about that

That's not very accurate indeed... nature didn't domesticated drug Cannabis, man did after years of selection depending on the final use, whether it was for fiber, food, oil, medicine or psychoactive effects. Nature only provided the genetic plasticity and diversity so the plant evolved like that in one or another direction.

If it wasn't because of farmers and breeders, Cannabis drug landraces would have never existed, as they never grew wild in the bush, it's always the result of a plant breeding and selection work...

I don't see much hybridization on this 18 week keeper from Afropips' Malawi Gold.

8yKgXsS.jpg

bAmVhox.jpg

Neither at Dr GT's Malawi:

SHwqaXs.jpg

yxCHmNP.jpg

Or this other 80s Malawi bagseeds:

EjES808.jpg

When I grow a Malawi Gold based strain, I'm not looking for something that will put me to sleep to be honest or with any hashplant traits. If it's faster than 14-16 weeks, it's not an equatorial drug cultivar. ; )

Vibes.