What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

sneezydog

that is a great story Tangwena. Love hearing about your fishing and life adventures. Can feel if the squid are in or not .. :) everything uses energy to communicate, they most certainly can feel us, we all know but noone wants to go full crazy so the filters in our heads save us from feeling them all the time.And then "society" fills in all that newly empty space. Those squid are crazy... how do you prepare them? Hope you see your seal buddy again. :)
Ill go see the ocean...

MrToast

I love the Nature stories…nice to feel a bit of a connection to something good with all of the crap going on in the world today.❤️🙏

I have a question to clarify..

My cobs have been sweated and are now vacuum sealed for fermentation.. (approx 4-6 days) ..excess droplets of moisture inside have been removed when they appeared and re-sealed..

Now…I’m waiting for these cobs to continue to ferment (in the back sealed plastic)…Do I simply remove them from the vacuum sealed wrapping and significantly dry them further to “stop” the progressive fermentation when I achieve the effects and development I want? And store in sealed container or what have you?

Thanks again for everyone’s contributions and stories..very enjoyable🙂

Cheers
Toast

sneezydog

Yes. it is a good idea when starting out or with an especially wet cob, to check every few days for smell to avoid an overwet ferment. I usually cant help but to dry a little piece to try at this moment. then, when it has been some days and you are sure with the moisture content, put it som ewhere cooler that the sweat place.
Try to forget it for months at this point, or check every couple weeks. I try to forget or i will sample it to death before its done. i am curious about lower temp cures actually as its always pretty warm here. Might bury one to keep it in constant cool temps.

Tangwena

Veteran
I love the Nature stories…nice to feel a bit of a connection to something good with all of the crap going on in the world today.❤️🙏

I have a question to clarify..

My cobs have been sweated and are now vacuum sealed for fermentation.. (approx 4-6 days) ..excess droplets of moisture inside have been removed when they appeared and re-sealed..

Now…I’m waiting for these cobs to continue to ferment (in the back sealed plastic)…Do I simply remove them from the vacuum sealed wrapping and significantly dry them further to “stop” the progressive fermentation when I achieve the effects and development I want? And store in sealed container or what have you?

Thanks again for everyone’s contributions and stories..very enjoyable🙂

Cheers
Toast
Hi my friend yes once you achieve an aroma you like dry further to stop more fermentation.
Re seal them I check weekly opening and drying further if they feel too moist before re sealing them.
After one month they should be stable enough to seal and leave to age 3 months is perfect.
You can still open them whenever you want to check aroma development and moisture drying if needed.
Once you have a few under your belt you will become confident in your ability and check less often.
But regular sniff and touching is part of the joy of this technique I feel.

Tangwena

Veteran
Yes. it is a good idea when starting out or with an especially wet cob, to check every few days for smell to avoid an overwet ferment. I usually cant help but to dry a little piece to try at this moment. then, when it has been some days and you are sure with the moisture content, put it som ewhere cooler that the sweat place.
Try to forget it for months at this point, or check every couple weeks. I try to forget or i will sample it to death before its done. i am curious about lower temp cures actually as its always pretty warm here. Might bury one to keep it in constant cool temps.
Sampling is another joy of this cure just remember age brings many improvements not least the effects.

FoxMcLoud

This is FOX McLOUD, AKA The Cobbin disciple checking in!

Many thanks to Master Chief Tangwena, illuminating the way.

Initial report includes recent photos of filipino kibungan landrace from Khalifa genetics

>>> Waited as long as possible to pick these, 5 months or so with no "veg time". Just kept throwing off new growth, at some point there were diminishing returns and that's when I called it. Not very many plants to work with, but the small sample size I had displayed a papaya/subtle fruit & spice aroma/flavour - effect with non-cobb was a halo ring euphoria followed by a very clean joyful, gliding ... serene satisfaction.

Attempted some variance in experiment to see how changing variables impacts end result:

Cobbed at

> different dry times (within ~ 12-48-60 HRS had started defacto drying some while plants in pots by witholding water as these were VERY thirsty often)
> weights (4.5g / 10g / 14.5g) ,
> initial hot sweats (24-36 HR) via yogurt maker @ 104F,
> warm sweat periods ( 10-12 days) via ambient attic heat that did not prove to be as stable as the network equipment for internet lying on top of 2.5 layers of towels to produce a nice ~80 F@ ~averaging 77-86F (with one afternoon getting particularly hot and going outside standard range into low ~90s F). Despite some head winds, the ferment definitely kicked off and the aromas/flavors have certainly been impacted.

Once fermented/sweated, within initial samples (3 weeks in) the aroma took on a sweet funky papaya scent, and the smoke flavour was more balanced and less sharp --- very smooth, even though the cure/aging is only just beginning.

Pics for reference >

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    480.1 KB · Views: 77

Tangwena

Veteran
This is FOX McLOUD, AKA The Cobbin disciple checking in!

Many thanks to Master Chief Tangwena, illuminating the way.

Initial report includes recent photos of filipino kibungan landrace from Khalifa genetics

>>> Waited as long as possible to pick these, 5 months or so with no "veg time". Just kept throwing off new growth, at some point there were diminishing returns and that's when I called it. Not very many plants to work with, but the small sample size I had displayed a papaya/subtle fruit & spice aroma/flavour - effect with non-cobb was a halo ring euphoria followed by a very clean joyful, gliding ... serene satisfaction.

Attempted some variance in experiment to see how changing variables impacts end result:

Cobbed at

> different dry times (within ~ 12-48-60 HRS had started defacto drying some while plants in pots by witholding water as these were VERY thirsty often)
> weights (4.5g / 10g / 14.5g) ,
> initial hot sweats (24-36 HR) via yogurt maker @ 104F,
> warm sweat periods ( 10-12 days) via ambient attic heat that did not prove to be as stable as the network equipment for internet lying on top of 2.5 layers of towels to produce a nice ~80 F@ ~averaging 77-86F (with one afternoon getting particularly hot and going outside standard range into low ~90s F). Despite some head winds, the ferment definitely kicked off and the aromas/flavors have certainly been impacted.

Once fermented/sweated, within initial samples (3 weeks in) the aroma took on a sweet funky papaya scent, and the smoke flavour was more balanced and less sharp --- very smooth, even though the cure/aging is only just beginning.

Pics for reference >
Looking good my friend and thanks for keeping such good records and showing them here.
If one method hits the spot for you its great to be able to look back on the recipe to do it again.
Cob curing is the perfect method for this type of sativa bud, you will end up with a lovely amalgam of buds after aging.
Love the colors developing on this one.

5.jpg

FoxMcLoud

@Hombre del mont Definitely vac sealing every step of the way, sorry missed pics with vac sealed bags. Didn't see moisture after initial 24-36 hour hot sweat, I was paranoid - so after removing and double checking - resealed for prolonged warm sweat period, then unsealed for dry to the touch in low RH area(less than 60% in my case somewhere between ~45-55), in this instance ~24-48 hours and then resealed for long time (cool ish room temp 63-70F for now) aging/curing. The smallest sample cob did not make it back to long time cure, too many samples were taken...for science!

StickyBandit

Doing a final dry before longer storage on these MxPCK buds. They had a fermenting fragrance I wanted to get rid of before final sealing. I think they were fermented too damp. We live and learn :)
First vacuum packed 19 days ago for about 16 hours @ 33°c then dried some and left @ 25-28°c for a while and opened periodically for drying further and now a quick sun dry before long term curing in the attic. It's my first try so I have no idea what it will be like
The camera doesn't really show it but it's glistening in the sun
MxPCKCobs.JPG

Tangwena

Veteran
Doing a final dry before longer storage on these MxPCK buds. They had a fermenting fragrance I wanted to get rid of before final sealing. I think they were fermented too damp. We live and learn :)
First vacuum packed 19 days ago for about 16 hours @ 33°c then dried some and left @ 25-28°c for a while and opened periodically for drying further and now a quick sun dry before long term curing in the attic. It's my first try so I have no idea what it will be like
The camera doesn't really show it but it's glistening in the sun
View attachment 18761086
The drying will stop and get rid of any foul odor. I can tell from the pics they were slightly over fermented due to being a little too moist to begin with.
You did the right thing drying them more.
Aging will most probably bring out a mild floral aroma that is not unpleasant and given the variety of the plant it will have a very potent high.
You did the best thing possible in the situation you found yourself in.
I have had the same thing happen many times and while the aroma terps may have been lost the power will still be there get ready to trip after aging is my advice ha ha.

Taima-da

Tangwena
You mentioned “over fermented” to Sticky..I’m guessing I may have over fermented too..Any idea of how that may have impacted the final product.? Sounds like the color will be more brown.perhaps .Dimished THC ?

Thanks
Not diminished thc.
Just less than stellar smell and taste.
May also lead to more a "knock down" kind of effect at times, rather than an energized experience.
No problems there, just air out well when opening if you find any smells that you don't want to linger, which will help sweeten up the taste.

And maybe save these ones for when you're not busy until you get a handle on 'em
😆

Tangwena

Veteran
Not diminished thc.
Just less than stellar smell and taste.
May also lead to more a "knock down" kind of effect at times, rather than an energized experience.
No problems there, just air out well when opening if you find any smells that you don't want to linger, which will help sweeten up the taste.

And maybe save these ones for when you're not busy until you get a handle on 'em
😆
@MrToast as brother Taima-da said above perfect answer from someone who knows his stuff.
It takes a bit of practice to get it all, aroma, taste and effect but your well on the way.
Those cobs will still be good you will not loose any THC effect it will just be modified maybe to your liking.
Us humans like our food to be appealing to the senses but not all medicine is that way.
Some of the most radical effects come from such cures.
i have a Panama cob 6 years old that I'm still frightened to chew it was waay over fermented and totally brown.
But it still gets me so high I'm uncomfortable in my own home its super powerful.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Here's a few shoots of my future cobs.

They need a little more time yet though!

Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian
20220927_085113.jpg

20220927_085120.jpg

20220927_085127.jpg

20220927_085148.jpg

20220927_085153.jpg

Nice NLD type leaves.

Perhaps a little under fed during veg, but I'd sooner err on the side of caution rather than over feed, which I've been known to do in the past.

Been flowering now for about 3 weeks.

Stretching seems to have slowed down now and I'm no longer supercroping daily.

Being fed with a little liquid worm humus with added organic k and 2 days ago were given a weak feed with BAC organic PK.

Day time temps are still hitting 30-32c most days but night time is starting to get chilly, 14c last night.

No rain forecast for the foreseeable.

Today for my second breakfast I will have 0.3g of some very strong 10month old Super Malawi Haze cob.

Have a great day folks!

Ancient Old Far

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's a few shoots of my future cobs.

They need a little more time yet though!

Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian
View attachment 18761948

View attachment 18761949

View attachment 18761950

View attachment 18761951

View attachment 18761952

Nice NLD type leaves.

Perhaps a little under fed during veg, but I'd sooner err on the side of caution rather than over feed, which I've been known to do in the past.

Been flowering now for about 3 weeks.

Stretching seems to have slowed down now and I'm no longer supercroping daily.

Being fed with a little liquid worm humus with added organic k and 2 days ago were given a weak feed with BAC organic PK.

Day time temps are still hitting 30-32c most days but night time is starting to get chilly, 14c last night.

No rain forecast for the foreseeable.

Today for my second breakfast I will have 0.3g of some very strong 10month old Super Malawi Haze cob.

Have a great day folks!
Please continue to inspire me and others I'm sure!