What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RQS critical fem organic nute deficiency

0x99

Hi all,

I'm about on day 42 of flower with this RQS critical fem run. The setup is using flood trays and a aquavalve (pretty much diy autopot), RO water, no nutes.. just super soil on the bottom, and roots organics original for the bulk of the soil. Also using smart pots, mykos / azos for microherd, hit them with compost tea a couple times in veg and beginning of flower. So far this run is going great, but I'm seeing some deficiency popping up in about week 5 of flowering. I scratched some additional dolomite lime in the top of the planters because it looked like I had a calcium def from RO..

Can anyone help me identify what other nutes I may be missing? I haven't pH'd them because it's 100% organic and from what I know the microherd handles that.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Actually looks like a little bit of nute burn I'd collect some runoff and measure it's ph/ppms and see what's going on inside the soil. Whatever it is the plants still look super healthy so I wouldn't worry too much good luck ox

0x99

Actually looks like a little bit of nute burn I'd collect some runoff and measure it's ph/ppms and see what's going on inside the soil. Whatever it is the plants still look super healthy so I wouldn't worry too much good luck ox
Thanks for the response!! The symptoms didn't show up until flowering and I haven't added any new nutes so I figured maybe it was a deficiency not nute burn.. wouldn't it have shown up in veg if it were nuteburn?

Athos

Check pH, even in organics, I'm talking from experience.
I think it looks like Potassium deficiency, yellowing patches with rust spots / margins; not uncommon during flowering.

I’m running critical in coco and if I don’t give her Epsom salts and some cal mag I get all sorts of weird deficiencies. I’m new myself to all this so I could be way off but maybe it’s worth a shot.

0x99

Check pH, even in organics, I'm talking from experience.
I think it looks like Potassium deficiency, yellowing patches with rust spots / margins; not uncommon during flowering.

I think you're prob right on the potassium def. I will check pH on my final watering. Right now it's kind of hard to pH just because I am watering these smart pots from the bottom up in a flood tray using autopot aquavalves.

I did have some calcium def early in flower so I scratched some dolomite lime in the top. I know that next grow I will need to mix in a lot more dolomite lime which will hopefully stabilize the pH if that's the issue.

Here they are in day 60

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

0x99

I’m running critical in coco and if I don’t give her Epsom salts and some cal mag I get all sorts of weird deficiencies. I’m new myself to all this so I could be way off but maybe it’s worth a shot.

Good to know!! Thanks man. I def had some calmag issues early in flower but corrected it (I think) with a few doses of calmag and scratching dolomite lime in the soil.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
super grow

super grow

Those plants look super to me!!!! Roots Organics is kick ass without adding anything! One can't go wrong by adding 60 to 120 ppms of Cal-mag when using RO water or rain water. About 2 ml per gallon. General Organics makes one without N. for flowering and General Hydroponic's makes one with N. for Veg. Honestly those plants look right on to me and a little dis-coloration in the leaves at the end of flowering time is normal! Thanks for sharing.

B

Buddhafamily456

To me it looks like maybe a potassium deficiency.. doesn’t look too bad tho.. let me ask you this tho are you watering straight from tap water or are you bubbling your water/ letting it sit out to evaporate any chlorine? If you’re growing organic you want to make sure you’re doing that because you’re super dependent on your beneficial bacteria’s in your soil to feed your plants. If you’re maintaining a healthy soil food web in your soil then the extrudants from your roots should be calling for the right bacteria’s.. if you are watering with straight tap water and not letting the chlorine evaporate then you’d be killing them off. You can try maybe brewing a compost tea with 1/3 compost or humus 1/3 worm castings and 1/3 high p bat guano.. maybe 5 tsp kelp and alfalfa, maybe even 5 tsp langeinite if you wanna really try and up the ante with K.. brewing it in the tea will help break it down a little faster and make it somewhat readily available and atleast you’re adding it into your soil to be broken down...

B

Buddhafamily456

If you have a healthy amount of bacteria in your soil as well you shouldn’t have a PH issue because of the bacterial slime they produce which keeps things in a healthy range around them

I just found out I’m running the same rqs critical you are. I wasn’t positive what they were but another user here informed me. Anyways I would definitely look hard into the mag deficiency because I no with mine I’m giving Epsom salts pretty heavy to keep them green. This is my second run with them and same problem both times. And I’ve run it in dwc and in coco ( similar but very different ) anyways if I can help at all I will.

0x99

To me it looks like maybe a potassium deficiency.. doesn’t look too bad tho.. let me ask you this tho are you watering straight from tap water or are you bubbling your water/ letting it sit out to evaporate any chlorine? If you’re growing organic you want to make sure you’re doing that because you’re super dependent on your beneficial bacteria’s in your soil to feed your plants. If you’re maintaining a healthy soil food web in your soil then the extrudants from your roots should be calling for the right bacteria’s.. if you are watering with straight tap water and not letting the chlorine evaporate then you’d be killing them off. You can try maybe brewing a compost tea with 1/3 compost or humus 1/3 worm castings and 1/3 high p bat guano.. maybe 5 tsp kelp and alfalfa, maybe even 5 tsp langeinite if you wanna really try and up the ante with K.. brewing it in the tea will help break it down a little faster and make it somewhat readily available and atleast you’re adding it into your soil to be broken down...

Hey thanks for your response man. I'm watering with RO water, but its more of a flood try setup.. think a giant autopot tray with Smart pots to allow sub irrigation. I dont have any hydroton at the bottom of the soil so thats one thing I will do differently next time.. the soil is pretty much at field capacity about 95% of the time while the bottom 10mm is just totally flooded when the aquavalve is flooding the tray.

So I tested the pH on all of them today.. they all came out to be about 6.8 but one came out at 7.1 which is the one with the most burnt edges.. guessing that one for some reason could be a pH issue for sure. EC was about 1250.

0x99

I just found out I’m running the same rqs critical you are. I wasn’t positive what they were but another user here informed me. Anyways I would definitely look hard into the mag deficiency because I no with mine I’m giving Epsom salts pretty heavy to keep them green. This is my second run with them and same problem both times. And I’ve run it in dwc and in coco ( similar but very different ) anyways if I can help at all I will.

I think I *should* be good on Mag but i'm not 100% sure... I scratched a bunch of dolomite lime in the soil which should cover calmag afaik...

Dolomitic lime is a rock. It is calcium magnesium carbonate, CaMg(CO3)2. It has about 50% calcium carbonate and 40% magnesium carbonate, giving approximately 22% calcium and at least 11% magnesium.

0x99

If you have a healthy amount of bacteria in your soil as well you shouldn’t have a PH issue because of the bacterial slime they produce which keeps things in a healthy range around them

I hit the soil with compost tea I brewed using the method outlined on microbeorganics.com about 2 times during veg, once at the beginning of flower. I also added some Mykos and Azos to the soil and my soil has been running at near field capacity the whole time. I *think* I should have a pretty good herd going. I also have been adding a little diluted roots organics buddha bloom every couple of waterings for the past 3 weeks.

Roots Organics Buddha Bloom is derived from:

Bat Guano, Molasses, Worm Castings, Yucca Extract, Kelp Extract (Ascophyllum nodosum), Soy Extract

Lots more leaves are dying off from what looks like a total nitrogen depletion which I understand is good to not have nitrogen at the end of flower... idk! haha

p.s. I plucked a small bud from the bottom of one of them yesterday, let it dry over night and puffed it in my pax vaporizer. Holy shit the high is great!! gonna give it another week to ripen up a little more then its chop time.

0x99

"seed #1"
picture.php

"seed #2"
picture.php

Bonzai Mums once I know which one is the best :yummy:
(cover crop is red clover which I used throughout the grow, just barely scratched it back into the surface in the flowering pots to feed the microherd about 3 weeks ago.)

picture.php

B

Buddhafamily456

I like that bonsai mom set up you have. I have something super similar to that.

"seed #1"
View Image

"seed #2"
View Image

Bonzai Mums once I know which one is the best :yummy:
(cover crop is red clover which I used throughout the grow, just barely scratched it back into the surface in the flowering pots to feed the microherd about 3 weeks ago.)

View Image