What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bag seed in with good strain

Great info Gumby you sound like you know as much as me if not more tbh. Yeah broads are devil spawn I hope to never get em again. I either got em on me from handling my dog, putting up Christmas lights or a small fly brought them in. When I start back up I'm going to use either ic3 oil, trifecta, horticultural oil or a combo of them in veg as a preventative at a .5% ratio and alternate them. Putting up a UV light fly trap in case a fly/-moth and am going to touch and handle the plants far less often. When I do first I'm going to sanitize the crap out of my hands and forearms, then change into a clean shirt and sanitize my hands again before I touch them.

Last edited:
My money is on the dog being the source of contamination. Those loveable little guys are walking disaster zones from a microbiology point of view.

I've only been working with plants for a little under 2 years, but before finding my true love, I worked with bacteria and fungi. Spend any amount of time working with agar and you have nightmares about contams lol. Plants are awesome because they have such a robust immune system, but they're still susceptible to bullshit. The most effective way to prevent contamination is just take your shoes off before entering the lab, wash your hair with baby shampoo before entering and keep a couple bottles of isopropyl 70% to rub on your hands and scissors before you touch anything. That and HEPA proof your intakes. The worst thing you can do in any lab is get complacent with your sterile procedure.

In the mean time while you wait for your garden to clear up, you can use the space to grow magic mushrooms. That's something I tell every gardener to do. If you learn how grow mushies, then you'll forever go overboard with sterility lol. They're also a super cheap way of supping CO2, and as a grower you probably already have everything you need to start besides spores.

Yeah I figured he could be a source of the broads I never let him in my room as it stands. The alcohol is a good idea I'll probably make a little hand wash station in my room to clean up before touching my ladies. I actually looked up pf cakes and all that stuff but was too paranoid about trying to order spores. I'm at the end of a 2 month period where I've had nothing in the room so I'm pretty sure any leftover mites have starved to death by now.

Room is pretty much a closed environment I have a window a.c. for cooling and our central a.c. broke years ago so there's not much air moving around the house. Hepa filters is a good idea I have two 2'x4' by 6ft tall sealed grow cabs with seperate 6" intake and exhaust fans hooked up to carbon air scrubbers on both ends. I could maybe find some of those big flat square filters and wrap them around the intake side air scrubbers to use as a sort of pre filter. Thanks for the ideas brother I could use all the protection I can get at this point. Keeping a good leaf sheen of horticultural oil on the leaves during veg is supposed to help keep them from getting established so hopefully that combined with ultra high hygiene before touching them will work. Avid and other similar stuff even if safe is pretty expensive I might order predators but having to do that routinely could cost a lot too so trying the oils first.

If all else fails I might napalm my yards remove all greenery and throw down some crushed rock lol.

Last edited:
Sorry if I hijacked your thread a little bit here stoked lol. Btw you should start a grow diary I'd definitely sub to it and be happy to help if you ever have any questions.

STOKED

Hi guys. Sorry for the delay I have been too busy to jump on.
I really appreciate you all jumping on and offering advice.

The bagseed is still slow to move, this plant has very skinny leaves compared to my other strains so I think maybe Sativa?

Here a couple more photos below, in one pic, I think I see hairs staring.

I am starting to run out of room in my tent, I am thinking of moving bagseed outdoor for late flower?
Would this be okay? We only have 11hrs daylight (may have to put it in growhouse which is covered in shade cloth for stealth)

Another question please - my 2 Auto Kush are growing differently. One has good sized popcorn nugggets all over, the other is shooting white hairs but has not started to nugget up, seems at an earlier stage of flower? These were both planted at the same time.

I have clones looking better in turbo cloner with a tiny bit rhizotonic. It’s been three days, still look very healthy but no signs of roots yet... hopefully!

Thanks again for any help.

picture.php

picture.php

STOKED

Woke up this morning and looked at it under the sun for the first time and saw stem sitting underneath a little ball - the typical male preflower you see.

I was considering growing it out to collect some back up seed but I’m worried even in the backyard it could pollinate my tent under the house.

Is there anyway to prevent pollination?

Best to just rip it?

Thanks for helping with this

mr.brunch

Veteran
There be hairs on that last picture.... second node up, zoom in on the base of the leaf..... small, white hairs.....

mr.brunch

Veteran
I don’t think I’m seeing things anyway... although I am quite high.... this is your picture btw

picture.php

STOKED

I don’t think I’m seeing things anyway... although I am quite high.... this is your picture btw

View Image

That’s what I saw! I was sure I was seeing things too.

Although today I am sure I see a ball on a stick?

Still haven’t ripped it - Hermie? Maybe? I’ll wait a little longer I think

St. Phatty

It sounds like the plant is indoors, so anything you can do to help it breathing-wise is good (related to ventilation.)

I suggest adding a CO2 source that does not involve a flame.

One option is a 2 or 3 pound chunk of dry ice stuffed into a styrofoam ice cooler with some good insulators, e.g. some old clothes.

That will just sit there and emit CO2. More than your plants can use, until it runs out.

Another option for CO2 emittance is a sugar water yeast solution.

That's what I normally use. 2 pounds of sugar, 1 1/2 gallons of warm water, 2 tablespoons active dry yeast, 1/2 teaspoon champagne yeast (so it keeps fermenting & producing CO2 when the alcohol content gets above 8%).

It ends up looking like a 5 gallon bucket filled with very fizzy champagne. Just sits there and bubbles out CO2 for about 4 days.

Long story short, the female plants love that CO2. Doesn't seem to hurt them that it keeps going at night.

Hermies is definitely a possibility and a lot of bag seed plants can turn out to be hermies from what people have told me in the past. But it could still just be a normal girl who's making some odd preflowers those white hairs are definitely a good sign so keep her around. Just make sure to keep a good eye out for nanners and keep on flowering her out. Good luck stoked

It sounds like the plant is indoors, so anything you can do to help it breathing-wise is good (related to ventilation.)

I suggest adding a CO2 source that does not involve a flame.

One option is a 2 or 3 pound chunk of dry ice stuffed into a styrofoam ice cooler with some good insulators, e.g. some old clothes.

That will just sit there and emit CO2. More than your plants can use, until it runs out.

Another option for CO2 emittance is a sugar water yeast solution.

That's what I normally use. 2 pounds of sugar, 1 1/2 gallons of warm water, 2 tablespoons active dry yeast, 1/2 teaspoon champagne yeast (so it keeps fermenting & producing CO2 when the alcohol content gets above 8%).

It ends up looking like a 5 gallon bucket filled with very fizzy champagne. Just sits there and bubbles out CO2 for about 4 days.

Long story short, the female plants love that CO2. Doesn't seem to hurt them that it keeps going at night.

If I could easily source dry ice I'd try that and the second method seems like it would take a lot of materials. I personally have pretty heavy ventilation in my 2 6ft tall 8sq ft grow cabs. Each has a 6" can fan on its intake and exhaust. They are in my bedroom so I spend 8hrs+ a day inside the room and figure I put off enough co2 through respiration to feed them especially when I lift weights and exercise in the room which is nearly everyday. Heard from a veteran grower a long time ago that just being in the same room with the plants for a few hours a day gives them all the co2 they need. Good info though I'm just too lazy to haul in a bunch of sugar all the time. Though you did peak my curiosity I may give it a go in one of the cabs and see if yield increases next time I flower.

I'm no expert by any means, but I have a set up that costs less than 10 bucks. Its like a reverse flow box. Take a clear storage tote, make two cuts with HEPA filters on them. The filters block pollen, but allow them to breathe. Bend the colas over to one direction, and place a large glass plate under the colas. Make sure you take it out of the grow room before you open it. Collect the pollen into a ziplock bag with a credit card. Spray everything down with water so you don't bring any back into your grow. You can apply it to flowers by quarantining females in the same pollen box, and use a toothbrush to put the pollen on the pistils. Wait a couple minutes, soak it and voilà.

Just be super careful about bringing pollen into your grow. That stuff is insidious.

Oh yeah and take the fans off. If the pollen lands on them they go everywhere if you bump into it. I'd take a picture but I'm couch locked atm.

STOKED

The bagseed (outside now) still really seeing no pistols, it’s still looking male in my opinion but am waiting till I can really tell.

All my clones of c99xblueberry fast took 100% rate with the aero cloner. Getting them ready for the next run.

Am I better using a few small clones as I have spare clones, usually I just grow 2 plants in 16litre bags.

Is there an advantage for using more smaller plants? (I think it would be more work watering etc)

Don’t want to throw out these healthy clones if I can help it.

The bagseed (outside now) still really seeing no pistols, it’s still looking male in my opinion but am waiting till I can really tell.

All my clones of c99xblueberry fast took 100% rate with the aero cloner. Getting them ready for the next run.

Am I better using a few small clones as I have spare clones, usually I just grow 2 plants in 16litre bags.

Is there an advantage for using more smaller plants? (I think it would be more work watering etc)

Don’t want to throw out these healthy clones if I can help it.
Yeah don't ever throw out healthy clones that's murder in my book lol. The advantage to clones really comes with running sea of green type setups which can let you harvest more often if you get stuff dialed in.

Just keep a eye on the bag seed those definitely were pistils in that one pic but if you're seeing a lot of balls it could be a hermie. Post some pics if you get a chance. Peace stoked