What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what to do when coco dries out and causes lockout?

Drop That Sound

I quit running R.G. Basement mix because it was infected. At least from my local shop. My buddy there even gave me the heads up. That was a few years ago..I never tried tupur mix.

Now whenever I run coco I expand it with boiled water. Even the pre buffered bags!

Bwanabud

I respectfully contend: That running the Blumats on the edge of dry/moist will cause serious issues in the 5th week or so, without weekly rinses or run-off cycles the coco will become a sponge for salt/ph/nutrient/lock-out issues...attempting to run a room with zero run-off or ANY capability of water drainage, limits ability to address media concerns or fast nutrient changes to the roots. Install HVAC plastic drain pans under plants, or some type of drainage system....it's hydro.

I've been down this rabbit hole many times, and the disappointment of perfect veg & first 4 weeks of flower...leading to disaster in final stages, along with slow finishing buds will keep you up at night.

It's coco, forget soil properties, don't trust run-off PH readings, think hybrid hydro.

beta

Veteran
I respectfully contend: That running the Blumats on the edge of dry/moist will cause serious issues in the 5th week or so, without weekly rinses or run-off cycles the coco will become a sponge for salt/ph/nutrient/lock-out issues...attempting to run a room with zero run-off or ANY capability of water drainage, limits ability to address media concerns or fast nutrient changes to the roots. Install HVAC plastic drain pans under plants, or some type of drainage system....it's hydro.

I've been down this rabbit hole many times, and the disappointment of perfect veg & first 4 weeks of flower...leading to disaster in final stages, along with slow finishing buds will keep you up at night.

It's coco, forget soil properties, don't trust run-off PH readings, think hybrid hydro.

As a former soil / blumat grower and current coco / DTW grower, I agree 100%. Blumats are perfect for soil moisture levels - Coco has virtually opposite needs.

Desert Hydro

Veteran

that makes sense to me. they were saying run them more moist in flower on the site just need to find that balance when i get there