Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Calyxes with hairs before first true leaves?

Thread Title Search
Calyxes with hairs before first true leaves? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2018, 07:46 AM #1
Hookahhead

Hookahhead has a spectacular aura aboutHookahhead has a spectacular aura aboutHookahhead has a spectacular aura aboutHookahhead has a spectacular aura about
Calyxes with hairs before first true leaves?

Hey guys this is my first post here, but I've been lurking for a bit off and on over the years. I have popped a good many beans in my time, but no where near as many as the rest of you! Anyhow, I have never seen anything like this before, which finally drew me into posting.

This plant is 3 days old since breaking the soil. Instead of throwing true leaves, it has put out what I identify as 2 caylxes, with pistils. A different seedling with the exact same age is working on its second set. So my question is has anyone seen this before? I'll update this post after it has a chance to develop some more. Thanks everyone, I've learned so many helpful bits from this site!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3951.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	472816 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3950.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	472817
Hookahhead is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:57 AM #2
mr.brunch

mr.brunch has a reputation beyond reputemr.brunch has a reputation beyond reputemr.brunch has a reputation beyond reputemr.brunch has a reputation beyond reputemr.brunch has a reputation beyond reputemr.brunch has a reputation beyond reputemr.brunch has a reputation beyond reputemr.brunch has a reputation beyond reputemr.brunch has a reputation beyond reputemr.brunch has a reputation beyond reputemr.brunch has a reputation beyond repute
Now that is odd....

https://www.jackherer.com/thebook/

Originally posted by jimmy cliff:

So I'll keep on fighting for the things I want,
Though I know that when you're dead you're gone.
But I'd rather be a free man in my grave,
Than living as a puppet or a slave.
So as soon as the sun
Will shine,
I'm gonna get my share of
What's mine.
And then the harder they come ,
The harder they fall,
One and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

Put out the joint, step away from the computer and go for a walk.
Current: seedsman Power Africa- https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=355286
Current: seedsman Girl Scout crack- https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=355287
Current: real gorilla seeds dosidos #1-
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=356370
Current: real gorilla seeds dosidos#1 run 2-
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=356370
mr.brunch is offline Quote

Old 10-10-2018, 10:02 AM #3
exploziv
pure dynamite

exploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivor
Can't see clearly in the pics but from what I can see and what you are describing I'd say the calaxy's are instead of the first true leaves. I hope the plant will live and grow so you see what comes out of it. So far I'd say it's interesting. Good luck!

If the whole world smoked a joint at the same time, there would be world peace for at least two hours. Followed by a global food shortage.
exploziv is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:07 PM #4
bsgospel

bsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of light
Do you know the strain or cross? Environment good?

(And no, for the record. I've not seen that before.)
bsgospel is offline Quote

Old 10-10-2018, 03:42 PM #5
Hookahhead

Hookahhead has a spectacular aura aboutHookahhead has a spectacular aura aboutHookahhead has a spectacular aura aboutHookahhead has a spectacular aura about
Better picture

Sorry I realize that the first pictures weren't the best quality, but it was late and I couldn't find a real camera. Now I can't find the cord for the camera! I did manage to snap some better pics.

I am 95% sure these are calyxes. The beans are just some Jamaican bag seed. I've popped at least 15 of these in the past month, all the others have developed normally. Another seedling that broke ground the same day is working on its second set of true leaves, and looks like any other 3-4 day old seedling. All of the seedlings have been grown in the same organic seedling mix, under the same light and environmental conditions. There are currently 7 other seedlings growing along side this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3954.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	472885

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:23 PM #6
St. Phatty

St. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond repute
If it is a pistil ... now that's early.

Is it an auto-flower strain ?
St. Phatty is offline Quote

Old 10-10-2018, 05:00 PM #7
aridbud
automeister

aridbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond repute
Leaf formation.
John Harrigan
Instant gratification takes too long.
Carrie Fisher - RIP.
afterthought autos
We are passionate breeders in the USA- check out our unique quality cannabis autoflower hybrid seeds for medical conditions and recreational stimulus at down to earth prices. Now 12 years running strong!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65770
aridbud is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:36 PM #8
Hookahhead

I'm not sure if this is auto flower, none of the other seeds have been. However I do know they have been importing genetics into Jamaica fOr over a decade, so anything is possible. I'm not in Jamaica, but Im near the equator. We get 12/12 sun here year round, so I start seeds indoors under 18:6 and move them outside after 2-6 weeks.

I've been growing for around 15 years now.. not consecutively or at any huge scale. I really don't think this is leaf formation. I know the pictures are not the best quality, but I feel the most recent one clearly shows the calyxes, with pistils. The calyxes are even "fuzzy".

Old 10-10-2018, 05:43 PM #9
Ignignokt

Ignignokt is a name known to allIgnignokt is a name known to allIgnignokt is a name known to allIgnignokt is a name known to allIgnignokt is a name known to allIgnignokt is a name known to allIgnignokt is a name known to allIgnignokt is a name known to allIgnignokt is a name known to allIgnignokt is a name known to allIgnignokt is a name known to all
The first two pictures i thought it's probably shriveled leaf tips or something, but the third picture really looks like pistils.
Lowrider #1 was the earliest TINY little autoflower i've ever grown, calyx's maybe from the 2nd node but not like yours, if they are calyx's.
Ignignokt is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:36 PM #10
al70

al70 has a brilliant futureal70 has a brilliant futureal70 has a brilliant futureal70 has a brilliant futureal70 has a brilliant futureal70 has a brilliant futureal70 has a brilliant futureal70 has a brilliant futureal70 has a brilliant futureal70 has a brilliant futureal70 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridbud View Post
Leaf formation.
correct.

2 members found this post helpful.