What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chitosan

Rurumo

Here is an interesting paper summarizing many of the recent studies involving Chitosan. I'm particularly interested in the "post harvest" treatment of grapes to prevent botrytis. I don't like to get my buds wet, but I do know some people who "wash" their buds prior to drying so I wonder if washing them in a dilute chitosan solution might be something worth trying, if bud rot is a concern. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6414918/

BillFarthing

Veteran
It's used with perishable produce to extend the shelf life. I would just make sure no one has a shellfish allergy or they could go into anaphylactic shock.

TheeKavorka

I know this is a Chitosan thread, but it seems appropriate when trying to hack AN and other nutes. Plus, that Ornamental dude or dudette seems like a chem whiz.

Does anyone know what the difference is between a 95% Triacontanol powder which is water soluble vs 1.5% EP triancontanol?
I'm looking at getting the 95% water soluble powder. I'm not a chemist or a biologist so understanding the application ratios is difficult at best. I saw a hydroponics blog that was techy, and they we're saying .1mg/L. I think that equates to .0003785g per gallon which is only .018925g per 50 gallons. This seems incredibly low and difficult to measure out.

TheeKavorka

So, the 95% on Alibaba isn't waster soluble. I think 1-triacontanol powder is water soluble, and that would be the ratios mentioned above. Trying to find the cheapest and easiest route.

Dr.Mantis

So, the 95% on Alibaba isn't waster soluble. I think 1-triacontanol powder is water soluble, and that would be the ratios mentioned above. Trying to find out the cheapest and easiest route.
Triacontanol is not water soluble, it’s a big greasy molecule that likes to dissolve in other fats. One way to use it is as a micelle dispersion in water. And easy way to do this is to make a stock solution of your triacontanol in polysorbate 20, the. Dilute it into plain water and shake. The polysorbate will surround the triacontanol and keep it from crashing out.

For example: if you wanted a final triacontal concentration of 100mg/L you could dissolve 1 g of tria in 9g of sorbate. Then add 0.1g of this solution to a liter of water.

Dr.Mantis

Also, for everybody who has inexpensive Chitosan and would like to turn it into expensive chitosan oligosacharide, there are a number of ways to do this. The easiest is the acid catalyzed hydrolysis. In a nutshell chitosan+acid+water and heat —> chitosan oligosacharide. You need to use an acid that won’t harm your plants (lactic acid for example) and you need to account for heating time. To much time and it will completely hydrolyze to glucosamine, and too little and it won’t remain soluble after diluting.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
For example: if you wanted a final triacontal concentration of 100mg/L you could dissolve 1 g of tria in 9g of sorbate. Then add 0.1g of this solution to a liter of water.
I think that would be 10mg/l
100mg is 1/10 of a gramm(0.1g) so without sorbate your calculation is right. But 100mg tria would be mixed with 900mg sorbate so u would need 1g of that mix for 100mg tria.