What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rollin' logs - a new way to cure your weed

onefinity

How about some blind tests with pre-rolls? The whole "not judging a book by it's cover" thing... try it yourself- if you like it, give out some free samples and it might catch on with your people

H

HaHaHashish

Were you able to compare the flue cured logs with standard (dried then bottled) cured buds from the same plant and age? It would be interesting to see comparisons of the highs/effects at 1, 2 and 3 months of storage.

I think most people now days are too hung up on taste and smells. I don't smoke ganja because it smells great, I smoke it because the way it zings my brain in a positive way. Looks and smells are a long second when it comes to what is important which is how it makes me feel.

But having said that I do love smelling the various smells from ganja plants in flower and wish some company would bring out an aftershave or perfume that captures the scent from a living flowering cannabis plant as there's nothing more smile inducing than that to me.

mushroombrew

Veteran
Were you able to compare the flue cured logs with standard (dried then bottled) cured buds from the same plant and age? It would be interesting to see comparisons of the highs/effects at 1, 2 and 3 months of storage.

I think most people now days are too hung up on taste and smells. I don't smoke ganja because it smells great, I smoke it because the way it zings my brain in a positive way. Looks and smells are a long second when it comes to what is important which is how it makes me feel.

But having said that I do love smelling the various smells from ganja plants in flower and wish some company would bring out an aftershave or perfume that captures the scent from a living flowering cannabis plant as there's nothing more smile inducing than that to me.

Yes the quality of the high is most important. But don't forget about the "entourage effect". Terpenes have secondary activity that is not fully understood.

Many terpenes are lost to heat. Some terps even burn off in artificial lighting. As many have found brining plants indoors.

So heating will remove many.

I have no idea what a log smells like. From a scientific point of view I would assume terps are lower; overall.

http://vaporizertemp.com/components-cannabis-terpene-boiling-points-effects/

Would you cook these?
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8111493&postcount=528

Dog Star

Veteran
Am beliver in cobs.. its very easy to made them and there is a really stronger
stone from this kind of cured weed...

people just need to be brave to invest oz of weed to try a process..
no matter how final product looks,its not turd weed.. but opposite
you get as effects is all what it counts in the end for one that use medicine...

better effects means better weed IMO,final look is not so important or is connected
with snobism.. i can understand tough posters here that was negative comment
but still man need to try and then judge..

For sure i will cob every run some part of mine harvest,those that i use as medicine
as i think a effects are much deeper and better for medical issues am bothered,
also have feel i need less cobbed weed than non-cobbed..

prolonging mine medication,like from little i get so much is a good trick to have..

thanx Tangwena,you are the man....

Yes, I did do comparison smoke between normal dried and cured #4 and the log. There is a sense of 'clarity' in the log which is missing from the normal bud. I think the 2-3 month comparison would be better, but the logs didn't last two weeks to find out!

Agreed. I do enjoy tastes and smells though and in certain circumstances it may be better to keep the weed as it is rather than ruin its awesome smell. In other cases though, if the smell isn't anything to write home about, logs all the way.

:tiphat:

mushroombrew

Veteran
I am making RSO today. Off topic. But I am putting a half pound of beautiful Skywalker OG into 99.9% Iso and then cooking it off in a rice cooker @ 230F. Poor terpenes I will miss them so.

I will be destroying the quality. But it's for a cancer patient. How could I say no.

My point is you are not the only one "ruining" buds lol!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I am making RSO today. Off topic. But I am putting a half pound of beautiful Skywalker OG into 99.9% Iso and then cooking it off in a rice cooker @ 230F. Poor terpenes I will miss them so.

I will be destroying the quality. But it's for a cancer patient. How could I say no.

My point is you are not the only one "ruining" buds lol!
Ya know, you can reduce the cannabis volume using dry-ice and a closed bucket. (like dry-ice hash, only you're keeping it all in the bucket) This will significantly reduce the volume you need to fill with alcohol.

Then you could use ethanol. ;) No offense, but I won't touch iso due to taste (Yeah, I'm that sensitive) and the fact it's iso. Iso causes damage over time. Sam_TheSkunkman states he's yet to test a batch of iso and have it come out negative for iso. Even after multiple washings and vacuum purges. Just a heads up. :tiphat:

mushroombrew

Veteran
Ya know, you can reduce the cannabis volume using dry-ice and a closed bucket. (like dry-ice hash, only you're keeping it all in the bucket) This will significantly reduce the volume you need to fill with alcohol.

Then you could use ethanol. ;) No offense, but I won't touch iso due to taste (Yeah, I'm that sensitive) and the fact it's iso. Iso causes damage over time. Sam_TheSkunkman states he's yet to test a batch of iso and have it come out negative for iso. Even after multiple washings and vacuum purges. Just a heads up. :tiphat:

Well aware. Hence the reason it's not safe to smoke rso.

I would personally use benzene. But this was by request.

therevverend

Veteran
I know you're losing some potency just not sure how much. Evaporating quite a few terpenes off and changing the remaining ones structures into something different. Along with modifying the THC into different forms. You need to run some tests and find out what is going on at a chemical level. Effects are subjective, people can argue all day. It comes down to how we smoked when we first started enjoying cannabis.
My thinking is the cob curing is a clever adaptation to growing in a tropical jungle in primitive conditions. No way you'll get anything dry without it molding. Even if you did it would be crispy harsh dry with no cure and all the terpenes would evaporate anyway.
I like long cures in cool temperatures, below 60 degrees and very dry. I harvest at first light before the sun hits the plants. Do everything I can to avoid moisture, heat, and light which are the enemies of THC and the other compounds contained in cannabis. To me purposely doing this is counter-intuitive and destructive. But what do I know.
I end up long curing some of my flowers, keeping them cool and dry for a year or two. After the first year they turns golden, brown, black, red. Loses all the chlorophyll and smokes very smooth. Very different high, relaxing and pleasant to smoke but no where near as strong as when fresh. Smoke joints of it all day without getting run down. No big rush from taking big hits.
I think you're basically speeding up this aging process along with something extra the fermentation does. I'm thinking part of why the cannabis of the 60s and 70s was how it was, it took so long to ship it. A year sitting in warehouses and ships can change flowers quite a bit.
One more thing I should add, I'm skeptical of these methods but not dismissive because I have very little experience with cannabis cured this way. I've only smoked real African ganja once, 20 years ago. It was chocolate colored and chocolate flavored.
We'd already smoked modern west coast green cannabis so I wasn't clear headed but it was definitely excellent. Got me quite a bit more baked in a different way. African cannabis never makes it out to the west coast of the US so it was a real treat.

Last edited:
Do everything I can to avoid moisture, heat, and light which are the enemies of THC and the other compounds contained in cannabis.

I'm currently smoking a box full of bud that was once the nastiest, moldiest, ugliest shit you've ever seen. This was my 'hash box' that moldy stuff got piled in to later convert to hash, which never happened. Now 5+ years later all the mold has disappeared and they're regular buds again. Some of it still smokes pretty good and is fairly potent.

Ask any of the 'experts' on here and they would assure you this bud is 100% ruined and unusable. But what do they know?

I know you're losing some potency just not sure how much. Evaporating quite a few terpenes off and changing the remaining ones structures into something different. Along with modifying the THC into different forms. You need to run some tests and find out what is going on at a chemical level.

No, I really don't brother. I know this method works, from personal experience. It'd be cool if some other people would sack up and give it a try instead of assuming they already know what's going to happen. :tiphat:

Tangwena

Veteran
I'm currently smoking a box full of bud that was once the nastiest, moldiest, ugliest shit you've ever seen. This was my 'hash box' that moldy stuff got piled in to later convert to hash, which never happened. Now 5+ years later all the mold has disappeared and they're regular buds again. Some of it still smokes pretty good and is fairly potent.

Ask any of the 'experts' on here and they would assure you this bud is 100% ruined and unusable. But what do they know?

No, I really don't brother. I know this method works, from personal experience. It'd be cool if some other people would sack up and give it a try instead of assuming they already know what's going to happen. :tiphat:
I am with you my friend if I'm tripping balls I dont need some piece of paper telling me why ha ha

Sometimes it just does, one member had a cob he made tested i have no way of knowing how well it was made.
There were subtle changes in levels nothing dramatic.

I have some very well made cobs by a friend.
I also have some of the same buds jar cured from the same harvest both aged 6 months.

I wouldn't say either were any stronger than the other but highs and smells might as well be from different strains.

The jar cured is in your face electric paranoia rough on the lungs.

The cob is spacey, trippy and euphoric and smooth as fresh air inhaled.
Take your pic which you prefer and go that way.

H

HaHaHashish

I wouldn't say either were any stronger than the other but highs and smells might as well be from different strains.

The jar cured is in your face electric paranoia rough on the lungs.

The cob is spacey, trippy and euphoric and smooth as fresh air inhaled.
Take your pic which you prefer and go that way.

Tangwena, you need to add this post to your cob thread...I wonder if Sam Skunkman will try cobbing? Maybe if he reads your comments he might!

pinkus

Veteran
It'd be cool if some other people would sack up and give it a try instead of assuming they already know what's going to happen. :tiphat:

It's not about "sacking up". WTF is that all about? People don't want to lose their bud to some random log roller on the interwebs. No need to insult peoples "manhood"

I'm not saying it doesn't work. I'm saying you might get more people to try it without implying people are pussys for not trying it.

Water curing WILL make your weed quite a bit stronger, but you lose basically ALL the terpenes. :shooty: The reason it is stronger is you lose a bunch of water-soluble weight but leave the majority of the "goods" in the plant material.

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Water curing WILL make your weed quite a bit stronger, but you lose basically ALL the terpenes. :shooty: The reason it is stronger is you lose a bunch of water-soluble weight but leave the majority of the "goods" in the plant material.
Water curing makes poorly grown cannabis 'stronger' and a little more palatable. It completely ruins quality cannabis leaving a flat (and much less potent feeling) effect. :tiphat:

I'd be interested in trying what is considered "properly done" logs. I have a bit of interest in the Malwai cobbing as well, we'll see. ;)

pinkus

Veteran
Water curing makes poorly grown cannabis 'stronger' and a little more palatable. It completely ruins quality cannabis leaving a flat (and much less potent feeling) effect. :tiphat:

I'd be interested in trying what is considered "properly done" logs. I have a bit of interest in the Malwai cobbing as well, we'll see. ;)
Yep. Well, kinda. Definitely improves shit weed. I would never do it to weed I worked a long time on. However, I have smoked water cured high grade and it certainly did NOT have a flat effect. Just tasted like nothing.

Good luck on goading people into the cult of BBQed weed. :shooty:

I wood

Any of y'all got the balls to try this yet? :tiphat:

This from a confirmed log smoker, too funny.

Sorry, just couldn’t resist, there is absolutely nothing wrong with smoking logs.

Interesting process but way to involved for me, at least at this point in time, I do hope to try cobbing soon though.

baduy

We need someone here to design a miniature logroll device so the principle can be tried on smaller amounts. Call me chicken but I'm not ready for ruining a pound of buds before I find the right tuning