What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Garden of Unc-ly delights...

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
a new season already upon us here,and the other thread had gotten pretty long so here we go!

in spite of having run out of space last year i of course started snapping up new cactus as soon as they started showing up....

just picked up this trichocereus grandifloris var. "epic" otherwise known as a torch cactus....huge showy flowers,overwhelming perfumed scent,you can smell these a 100 feet away,you can see the fuzzy spiny flower buds forming on this one...

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php
[/FONT]

echinocereus rigidissimus var. rubispina....have another of these in the yard already,this one will be joining it.

picture.php
[/FONT]

a chihuahua nipple cactus,a locally salvaged specimen the nursery people gave me..

picture.php
[/FONT]

lets see,this is an old man cactus of some sort,cant remember if its a mexican or andes type....have another smaller one and a bunch of other of these old man type wooly cactus...

picture.php
[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
with several mild winters in a row here i have been expanding the in ground collection of cactus.many of these arent native to this area and quite a few im pushing the limits of cold tolerance but i do seem to have a favorable microclimate since the yard is south facing with no serious obstructions so i will be risking a bunch of new stuff this year...

these are all "hedgehog" cactus of various sorts,most with big showy blossoms some in startlingly vivid colors...

picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
and a little santa rita prickly pear,it will turn back to green over the summer as it warms up...
picture.php
[/FONT]

not all cactus of course,one of the early bloomers an evening primrose.
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

chocolate daisies,and yes,they smell like chocolate...

picture.php
[/FONT]

candallia or candle plant...

picture.php
[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
everything starting to bud and leaf back out here too,had plenty of stuff reduced to skeletons that have sprung back to life,also getting a bunch of volunteers popping up here and there,the flower i bed is full of little 4 o'clocks and theres a few things springing up i dont remember what was there before...

picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
Another quick cold spell here.....but think this will be it. 70's Saturday I believe. Then I will get to see what survived this unusual winter this year. Nice pictures

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i think i only had 2-3 things die on me,still early,the roots are still in place and thats all it takes for many of these plants to regenerate,im about to plant some carrots and herbs in the 100 gallon smart pot full of roots 707 soil and get some 45 gallon smart pots out and some happy frog tomato food and some mulch on them and let them sit for a bit till it warms up more,should have a much easier time with the tomatoes in smart pots and all staked up from the start,they were a mess last year...

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
after an all day effort i got all the tropical houseplants moved out of the living room where they have been under lights for the winter,had 800 and some watts burning to keep them going....going to have to do some serious repotting soon,some of these plants are just beast...took them outside and sprayed them down with the hose to clean them up and got them all set up in the greenhouse with the succulent collection...

picture.php
[/FONT]

and all the cactus set up on the back porch,still need to cram like 30 small ones in someplace...

picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
missed the first blossom on this little cluster of thelocactus macdowellii

picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
and it looks like most all of the "hedgehog" type cactus (echinocereus ) will be blooming soon,i have a several nice little clusters of the white sands claret cup as well as the 2 main local species and a number of zone tolerant species from other states.

picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
UNC..... I LOVE your commitment to being UNc...... so refreshing to see folks back on track and shaking off the dumb shitt......

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
in the wise words of a taoist philosopher..."i am what i am and thats all that i am,im popeye the sailor man..."

harry74

Veteran
Nice collection you´ve got there:)

The flowers of cactus are usually beautifull.

Pink&white craple myrtle.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
even the cactus spines are oddly beautiful....

picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php
picture.php

picture.php

[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
and the flowers are often quite startlingly lovely,or bloom in constant profusion...

picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
just got the cactus a few weeks ago,i could already see numerous flower buds appearing plus its just massive! couldnt resist...

its a tricocereus hybrid called "epic"

picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php
picture.php

[/FONT]

growsjoe1

Premium user
Veteran
I grew up where I could get to the high desert in a few hours. The shots in this thread reminds me of it's stark beauty that I miss so much and you have it in your backyard! When I was a kid , catching flowering cactus were few and far between and always a great find. Nice find peeps that get along so nice with the environment that they choose to live in.
Not your average cookie cutter green lawn

Latest posts

Latest posts