What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Scribus, Coffee and Cannabis: A Writer's Breakfast!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Anyone used Scribus to create a print ready PDF for Amazon's print on demand service? I've been spending some time at it recently. Though I'm a green tea extract fan, the coffee and cannabis are a taste combo I love. :)

Had a couple hours yesterday where I thought I'd munged the file and couldn't edit. Probably would have panicked without all the CBD I've been using. lol Turns out Scribus really wants you to use the edit text box. Editing a frame directly locks out editing, or something we missed. lol

Morning!! lol
(much too windy today for the coffee stand. Spending time staying warm and editing today.)

Douglas.Curtis

Watch the bleed on photos and text just outside the margins. ;)

Cover finished, manuscript uploaded, need to verify and publish. Dang phone doesn't work with the preview/accept option. garrr.

Next step will be changing the epub to match. Made a lot of great changes. :D

Douglas.Curtis

Uploading a manuscript to amazon for print on demand services? Be prepared to wait. lol After you upload your file it has to be approved, which means opening it in their previewer (doesn't work on android due to being flash based viewer).

Before it will open in the previewer it has to be processed on Amazon's end. So far I've experienced about a 30min delay fora 60 page book.

:tiphat:

Douglas.Curtis

I know this is going to prove to be useful to someone, even if it's only myself. lol

Note: The pdf to print file conversion has issues with the image on page 30. I've resized and re-positioned it a few times now, to no avail. When the previewer is used (which does not work on android devices lol), the image on this page is not centered properly. I have now uploaded a copy of the book with a black border around the image. I'm guessing the conversion software is having problems finding the edges of the image. This should help. :)

The next opportunity I get, I'll stop by a library or something and check. Hopefully this will fix it and I can move on to publishing. lol

Douglas.Curtis

*sigh*
Almost... the image on page 30 is still showing too high on the page. The good news is it looks like the black border helped. lol

Trying again tomorrow. :)

Douglas.Curtis

Good stuff Andyo! :)

Uploaded the new copy this morning. Changed the black border on the pic from .02 inches to .05. I should get a chance to check it in the next few days. lol This slow and torturous of a process would have torqed me to no end as a teen. LOL

Crazy

Douglas.Curtis

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!
Figured out the issue. I have an empty image frame on the page outside the borders. *facepalm*

I'm editing it tonight and will get a chance to look at it tomorrow. Wheeeeee!

Douglas.Curtis

Life is all about how you react to it...

Went looking for the empty image pane, it isn't there. Deleted the image instead. Page 30 of the pdf is now blank.

Should get another opportunity to upload it in a few days. crazy. Crazy around here working a new sched and also moving digs. Keep moving forward, eh? lol

Perhaps another week. ;)

Douglas.Curtis

The end is in sight, home net access soon. Probably before I get a chance to finish it elsewhere.

Crazy busy around here.

Douglas.Curtis

Completely changing the format on this. I ordered a printed copy and I should have listened to my wife. lol It's one thing to see it in a PDF, having a printed copy in your hand is so powerful. We spent last night formalizing the new formatting.

Seeing your book in print is priceless. I highly recommend any writer to push themselves to see it. :D