What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Oxygenating a Reservoir

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Last grow I replaced my air pump/stones with a flooming pump on a timer; 4/15 and plants look great

But I only flood every 2 hours in early veg and 4-6 hours during bloom

So, Im wondering if oxygenating in between flood cycles is even necessary

Anybody KNOW whether flooming just prior to or during flood cycle is all that's needed?

Does the rez benefit from oxygenating in between floods?

I don't run flood and drain and I don't use a air pump in my rez's for coir dtw. 90% of your oxygen absorption happens at the surface of the water not from the column of air bubbles rising through the water.

Bwanabud

I don't run flood and drain and I don't use a air pump in my rez's for coir dtw. 90% of your oxygen absorption happens at the surface of the water not from the column of air bubbles rising through the water.

^^ This, I used to run air stones in all my rez's,,and fought PH stability and some fallout, now a timered circ pump does the job.

beta

Veteran
I have a circulation pump permanently mounted in my rez, I use it when I'm mixing nutes and when I'm done I put it on a cycle timer to freshen up the water every few hours.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Circulation pump at the surface, will beat air bubbles any day!

Only places where air bubbles are good, are in DWC as the root's can use the oxygen in the bubbles. Or if you have to air out Clorine, large air stones are good for this.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Based on 4 'answers', seems like I should rephrase my question

Do the nutrients in the rez need to be aerated between flood cycles? If not, I can run the floom when I flood, instead of many times in between

Andyo

Veteran
spraying water through air

spraying water through air

Breaking the surface of the water is the most efficient
a fine spray though air onto surface water and some air flow.or a waterfall.A

9DRAGONS

why not put a circulation pump on to equalise and make shore you ec meter is getting a true reading?
These cheap hydro sub pump i think are a waste of time.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Well yeah the mix don't need the oxygen, but it need to be in motion.

Ad a small aquarium powerhead, it will keep your nutrient mix in flow 24/7.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
No the nutes don't need aerated, but how often do you flood ?

During early veg every 1-2 hours, in mid bloom, every 2-3 hours, in late bloom every 5-6 hours

I have been flooming the rez every 15-20 minutes for 4 minutes to stir/circulate the nutes

Seems unnecessary, now experimenting with synchronizing flooming with flooding to both circulate/mi as well as oygenate the nutes as they flood the roots

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
why not put a circulation pump on to equalise and make shore you ec meter is getting a true reading?
These cheap hydro sub pump i think are a waste of time.

When I check EC and pH, I run the flooming pump to make sure the nutes are properly stirred up