What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RDWC/undercurrent pest question

oakley1984

So im relatively new to growing with hydroponic systems, and am having very good success, did notice today though that i had a few small little black flies (likely fungas gnats) flying around the base of one of my plants. What are effective means of treating fungas gnats in hydroponics? i Do not want to spray anything as im in 3rd wk of flower. I am curious as to the effectiveness of predatory nematodes in hydro? bad idea? wont work? will work? for the time being set up sticky strips to lower adult population, but is only a band aid solution... any help would be appreciated.

Cpl pics of my plants for attention

(stalks are over 2" )

Attachments

• 20180729_032754.jpg
    20180729_032754.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20180729_032734.jpg
    20180729_032734.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 29

Chemdawggy Dawg

You need to get mosquito bits asap. They will kill the fly larvae. When you see the flies you have root rot at only week 3, not a good situation . Change the and Fill it higher and give them some sm90. Cool the water down to 67 or 68 if you can. If you let it go very long the larvae will eat holes all though your plants and kill them slowly.

negative37dBA

Veteran
You need to get mosquito bits asap. They will kill the fly larvae. When you see the flies you have root rot at only week 3, not a good situation . Fill the water higher and give them some sm90. Cool the water down to 67 or 68 if you can. If you let it go very long the larvae will eat holes all though your plants and kill them slowly.

Do you mean Mosquito dunks?
I have used them in soiless with excellent results. If you are using them in hydro do you just crumble up into your rez or bucket? If not please explain how you use them. Do you use the SM-90 in the water as well?
Thanks, negative.

oakley1984

You need to get mosquito bits asap. They will kill the fly larvae. When you see the flies you have root rot at only week 3, not a good situation . Change the and Fill it higher and give them some sm90. Cool the water down to 67 or 68 if you can. If you let it go very long the larvae will eat holes all though your plants and kill them slowly.

lol 100% there is no root rot. i run a 1/2hp chiller and my water temp has never gone above 66f, can take pics of roots if youre really that interested, but assuredly, no root rot. ran peroxide all through veg, rooms temps are very VERY stable, ph is bang on, plant health is... amazing... roots are white, hairy, n happy. like i said, noticed a few... like 4-5 adult flies, and may not even be fungas gnats as the area i live in has a very high concentration of noseeums, i havent scoped the bugs but will tonight.

Chemdawggy Dawg

You've caught it early, get the mosquito bits and you should be ok. I've had that problem before. It's a serious thing. You will probably notice a smaller yield just from what you've seen. The flies are there for the smell. Those leaves are huge what is the strain? Mosquito bits are a fast acting version from the same company. Sm90 will cure minor root problems if you catch it early, both go right in the water. If you see flies on potted plants you can just sprinkle the bits on top of the medium. I would cut the bottom part off those little net pots aND take them off the clones before I vegged them out if I was you.

Last edited:

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Before you go doing anything, make sure you absolutely, 100% know what bug you're dealing with.

Without closeup pictures, or pictures at all, all of us are guessing as to what you have and can't give you accurate advice.

You could be seeing sewer flies for all we know. Which would be totally fine to leave alone. They won't eat your plants.

In my grow area, I'll occasionally see a gnat or two flying around. I have no idea how they got there and I'll only see them maybe once a month. I just chalk it up to they somehow found their way into the basement.

bobert

Do you mean Mosquito dunks?
I have used them in soiless with excellent results. If you are using them in hydro do you just crumble up into your rez or bucket? If not please explain how you use them. Do you use the SM-90 in the water as well?
Thanks, negative.

The dunks and bits are made by the same company, Summit chemical Co. With the same active ingredient (Bti) So either or should work.

I've ran the dunks directly in my dwc buckets . Wrapped in pantyhose to keep it from breaking apart, while still able to release the Bti . It raised the ppm a little bit but it worked really good.

Never used SM-90 before but I've had success doing an area spray with goGnats or cedar oil.

Good luck :tiphat:

oakley1984

for those who were following/curious, yes confirmed as fungus gnats... ended up trying the nematodes.... success!! to those who stumble upon this thread later looking for answers, yes nematodes will work in hydro, be sure to change your res after 48hrs though.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hmmm I would have thought nematodes or really any rotting insect in your system would cause all sorts of slime problems. Also, I cannot recall right now what the number it is, but a very low chlorine level will kill nematodes. It was on an insert from a major nematode lab I order from. I know this is an old post but I am curious if poster may still be around or if any other hydro people have tried nematodes?

Latest posts

Latest posts