What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Another Haze thread ...

JohnnyChicago

2015 I have been asked to put up a Haze thread to share the experiences I made with the different Hazes I have tried. I have been lucky enough to try almost all of the best and incensiest Hazes that have been available in the NL since the end of the 80s when I smoked my first Original Haze and did my first Haze grow (Positronics Original Haze) around 1993.

I know, there are tons of Haze threads here, but I have started my own little Haze project in 2014 with the goal to find a female keeper and after many up and downs I finally have found something that has surpassed my expectations...

First of all I want to thank Sam the Skunkman and all those who had contributed to create the Original Haze for the great time I had during the past 4 years.

Began with 5 packs of Seedsmans Original Haze, 1 pack of Ace Purple Haze and 1 pack of Aces Oldtimers Haze (old stock). And for me Seedsmans Original Haze is by far the most underrated and underestimated strain ever.

picture.php

fasciated OHz (Sam's mother was fasciated too)

Last edited:

JohnnyChicago

For me a Haze has to be incensey when burnt. But the Hazes I smoked in the late 80s and the circa 1993 Positronics had no incense at all. That's why I decided not to try THH. Tom himself repeated many times, there is no incense to be found in his seeds. So saying that Haze has to be incensey is probably wrong. It's just a personal preference.

In ACE's Hazes I have found no incense too. Some very nice smells in there, that some people could call incense, but I did not find it.

The Seedsmans were earthy, leathery and peppery. They did all carry some incense, but the incense was full on pepper (just one was lemony). The fasciated one had the strongest incense smells. Was like burning concentrated guinea pepper. Some Haze hybrids sold in the 90s in Adam had that smell too. I think these hybrids were made with the same mother Sam used for Seedsmans Original Haze.
No frankincense, but the taste of the lemony one reminded me some good old SSH.

picture.php

left Original Haze, right Oldtimers Haze

Koondense

Veteran
You'll likely find the incense in haze hybrids like Nevils haze or skunk x haze.
I'm searching for an indoor friendly haze, looking at Nirvana's version. OTH and Thunk are high on the list too.

Cheers

JohnnyChicago

Original Hazes do need 5-6 month from seed, but you will be sure what you get.
With Nevil Haze you wait at least 4 month and you have to be very very lucky.

Im not a lucky guy and I have lost years of time (and $$$) with MNS Hazes and other hazes that have been hyped over the years.

I'm not saying you have to grow Original Haze. There are no seeds available anymore, so this is not an option. Im just comparing the pure Hazes I have tried, and giving my opinion on the incense trait.

Last edited:

JohnnyChicago

Where the things do start to get interesting is with Original Haze males. I kept 3 males and made seeds.

male #1 crosses seem very high on thc, were very resinous and had metallic smells, really tasty, but no incense. The OTH crosses I made with him, are unmanageable indoors, but the endresult was really trippy and strong.

male #2 crosses seemed low on thc, crosses were crap and grew like hemp

male #3 was like taking a 1 way ticket back to the 90s. He turns to incense everything he touches. The type of incense depends on the female that is used. Not the peppery kind like the OH females. Every seed I have flowered out had the incense trait and Im sure that trait does also have alot of influence on the high.

Basically I started a project with the hope to find 1 incensey female and have found potentially thousends of them.

Also made crosses wih the best females and results were mostly peppery.

Original Haze male seedlings (2014)

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

bigbadbiddy

Johnny could you elaborate on why you feel you lost your time and dinero with the MRN hazes?

I went quite deep on their auctions and have about 50 beans of Neville's Haze, 50 beans of Mango Haze and 20 beans of SSH queued up (along with 30 or so LaNina and Angel's Breath waiting as well).

Was going to go quite deep on those as soon as I can and have had great experiences particularly with Neville's Haze in Adam and had hoped I can tickle even more out of it on my own...

BlueHaze

haze = a lot patience
keep updating on your find.
I'm looking for that 80 haze my self. All this new fancy name citrus strains don't cut it

Limeygreen

Veteran
Sounds like you found a male that suits your needs, great to hear. Can you describe any traits on the male 3 that could help guide someone for selection or was it all just progeny testing?

JohnnyChicago

Male 3 was the most vigorous and had some of the thinnest leaves. The leaf shape was also slightly different. He really was different than all the others. Easy to spot I would say.
But the reason I kept him was because I had been able to smell something special in there, when he was 3 weeks old from seed. Not from stem-rubbing but out of the leaves. Smell that I haven't been able to reek again on him since.

I think you can smell it if you know what you are looking for. But this was one out of 40+.

led05

Chasing The Present

Nice photos & thread, I’ve found w Haze, the more disproportionate the middle leaf is longer than to all others, the better chance of finding old school incense phenos, quality, uniqueness and a step back into past.

When did you source from MNS, I think the when is key there to find grail like NLD potential within some of the hybrid lines

led05

Chasing The Present
View Image
OH week 10

View Image [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
3 Original Hazes side by side

[/FONT]

View Image
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]fasciated OH
[/FONT]
View Image
[/FONT]

I find the fasciated in quite a few strains, do you like it, aside from Sam's OP on the matter which everyone seems to enjoy citing?

Personally I don't, I think fasciated plants, although vigor is there, they are too leafy, too much leaf growth vs bud

led05

Chasing The Present
Mns hazes are a total shit shoot but when and if you are lucky enough to find a good one it's a game changer. However nothing is more depressing than putting in all of the work only to get a few mediocre plants that smell like pee. Been there done that.

Barney's grinspoon has been far and away better than any haze I have grown by mns. I found a keeper in my first 5 seeds, it's got the hazey incense goodness and finishes in about 11 weeks. It's full able to finish outdoors in new england too.

when was the Grinspoon sourced, do you believe the current available form is consistent with your comments above? I'm intrigued...

MNS prior to 2010-11 I find have much better odds to find supreme quality than say 2013 on.....

Tnx

JohnnyChicago

I find the fasciated in quite a few strains, do you like it, aside from Sam's OP on the matter which everyone seems to enjoy citing?

Personally I don't, I think fasciated plants, although vigor is there, they are too leafy, too much leaf growth vs bud

I just said the mother of the OH seeds I used, was fasciated too and named the breeder of the strain.
Yes the fasciated one was leafy, flowers were airy and did stretch a bit more than the others, but was the smelliest and had by far the best high.