What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Super soil measurements?

growsmoke

Hi all , this will be my very first attempt at a supersoil and after weeks of research I have take subs recipe with some suggestions from other growers and come up with my own scaled down version , I have scaled it down to half size of the smallest batch of subcools supersoil I can find I believe its 1/8 the size of his original recipe anyways I do not have a good way to store large amounts of soil at a time and only grow 2 to 3 plants at a time
RECIPE
◾ 5 gallons Fox farm ocean forest
◾4.5 pounds of Organic Earthworm Castings
◾10 tablespoons of Peruvian seabird guana
◾10 tablespoons Fish Bone Meal
◾ 6 tablespoons soft Rock Phosphate
◾ 1 1/2 tablespoons Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate)
◾ 10 tbsp Dolomite Lime
◾1/2tbsp of Azomite (trace elements)
• 10 tablespoons kelp meal
QUESTIONS
I've received everything for my recipe today and noticed the bat quanobis in much larger pellets than the meals which made me wonder how am I supposed to accurately weigh tablespoons Do I crush it down some?
or would it be better to convert my measurements to weight? Ounces or whatever
does this look like a decent easy to use recipe for a first timer?

and also if anyone sees any issues with my recipe too much or too little of anything please lend a suggestion my budget has gone negative on this so these are the ingredients I have to work with
thanks GROWSMOKEGROWSMOKEGROW

betshtick

Hi all , this will be my very first attempt at a supersoil and after weeks of research I have take subs recipe with some suggestions from other growers and come up with my own scaled down version , I have scaled it down to half size of the smallest batch of subcools supersoil I can find I believe its 1/8 the size of his original recipe anyways I do not have a good way to store large amounts of soil at a time and only grow 2 to 3 plants at a time
RECIPE
◾ 5 gallons Fox farm ocean forest
◾10 tablespoons of Peruvian seabird guana
◾ 10 tbsp Dolomite Lime
QUESTIONS
I've received everything for my recipe today and noticed the bat quanobis in much larger pellets than the meals which made me wonder how am I supposed to accurately weigh tablespoons Do I crush it down some?
or would it be better to convert my measurements to weight? Ounces or whatever
does this look like a decent easy to use recipe for a first timer?

and also if anyone sees any issues with my recipe too much or too little of anything please lend a suggestion my budget has gone negative on this so these are the ingredients I have to work with
thanks GROWSMOKEGROWSMOKEGROW

Might be a bit hot for small plants, but looks good to me. For such a small quantity I'd probly just buy some Roots potting mix and a tub of growilla bud.

growsmoke

Might be a bit hot for small plants, but looks good to me. For such a small quantity I'd probly just buy some Roots potting mix and a tub of growilla bud.
thanks, I have read alot that the seabird guana tends to be hot maybe go without it and use if needed as a top feed?

growsmoke

I'm sorry I really prolly shoulve mentioned the strains I know that helps :-X nirvanas NL ,and freebies were strawberry blue and afghani

betshtick

thanks, I have read alot that the seabird guana tends to be hot maybe go without it and use if needed as a top feed?

well ocean forest has quite a bit of fertilizer in it already, so yea you'd probly be fine with just that and a top dress or two in bloom.

There are way better soil mixes on here. Keep in mind that Subcool doe snot use science to grow with. He uses his magical powers to make things happen. :)

You can go through my post, and I have put a thread with my soil mix that has been lab tested.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you go forward with what you already have, I second the hold off on guano, and would add the epsom to that list. Personally had much better result with organic mix formula(e?) by halving their recommended meal levels, especially if using something like FFOF as a base. Much easier to top things up later on, than to sit there and wonder if there's a way to take it all out.

Alg0rithm

I'd scratch this idea and use a more balanced soil with much less nitrogen and a more balanced phosphorus profile.

Per cu ft soil:
1 cup crab meal
1/2 cup neem meal
1/2 cup kelp meal
4 cups rock dust

Water with silica and aloe.

A lot cheaper and a lot better for your plants.
Oh, and btw definitely cut out the lime as its cal/mag ratios are out of whack forcontainer gardening.

growsmoke

Thanks for the replies and I will be looking into all of the other mixes mentioned for my next grow but like I said I already spent 150$ on the ingredients for this recipe. I mixed my ingredients tonight and left out the guano thanks for all the advice again
My final mix
1/2 of 1.5 cu ft bag of FFOF
◾ 8 tbsp Dolomite Lime
• 1 handful perilite
I will start out in solo cups with seed starter mixed with ffof
After 3-4 weeks from sprout depending on growth move to final 5 gallon containers bottom third full of this mix and rest with ffof and perilite

Hope this works out ��

growsmoke

Yeah I looked back after I said that and there were a few other things in there but it was close to 100 but I got enough of everything but the fox farm and worm pooh to make that batch 20 times probably

Latest posts

Latest posts