What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Looks like a hermie... mind taking a peek?

Kaskadian

Veteran
Hey folks,

I'm 99% sure this is a hermie, but I was hoping for some confirmation. Growth has basically stopped entirely and buds look majorly underdeveloped for being 5 weeks in. Majority of hairs are turning red which makes me think some type of pollination has happened. No males in flower room. No light leaks.

Medium: Coco
PH: 5.8
PH Runoff: 5.9
Temps: 25c/78f
PPM: 840
Schedule: Daily water until runoff
Strain: BOG Sweet Cindy
Time: Flower week 5

Looks like male flowers forming in the bud. If you guys need more photos I'll try to snag some tonight when I get back home, but I've removed the plant from the grow room as a precaution.

Attachments

• herm.jpg
    herm.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 12
P

Pinnate

FWIW, I've seen this happen with sativas near maturation ─ no precautions were taken and no seeds were produced by the 'nanners'...

Best keep an eye on them for signs of calyxes swelling, just the same?

igrowone

Veteran
i'll say no hermie, it's shape doesn't look right
that said, not sure what the bulge is, but you never know

therevverend

Veteran
Fairly certain that's a male flower. I agree you could pluck it instead of taking the bud down.
The problem is where there is one male flower there are usually more. If the hairs are turning that's a bad sign.
When I check for herms I get under the plant and look up at it. Often the top of the plant is the last place to show male flowers. The flowers are underneath and inside the flowers in places that are very hard to notice. Get low and inspect the undersides of the flowers. Hate to say it but it's likely you'll find some.

Kaskadian

Veteran
Guys thank you all for the feedback. It’s definitely herm... found a couple nanners on lower buds. I had to get that plant out of the flower room. I’ve got some landrace sativas in there and I don’t want to take the risk of cross pollination on 16 week strains. I know there is already likely pollen that got transferred but I’m looking to minimize any damage if possible. It must have just started to herm so I’m crossing my fingers that pollen spread was minimal. I hand water my coco daily so I get a lot of time to examine my plants on a daily basis.

The plant was looking lovely too which is a bummer... it’s going into the bubble hash container in the freezer.

therevverend

Veteran
Too bad it looked quite frosty. It's too late now but before you move a plant with open male flowers be sure to soak it down. The water makes the pollen inactive. I'd soak the entire garden down, females and males. Even if some pollen gets stirred up by the water it'll land on somewhere wet.
I'd spray them down anyway in case there's some pollen settled on the females. It could get shaken around and land on a flower.
Be sure to carefully inspect all the remaining plants. Experience has shown me that where there's one hermie there's usually more. Even without signs of hermaphrotism I try to inspect all the lower flowers as often as possible.