What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mixing old dry cutted stem pieces into coco?

doams

Got these month old dry stems and was thinking about cutting em to little pieces and mixing that into coco.

Should I ph treat cutted stems by soaking em and is this good idea overall?

Thx.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
on the face of it there might be one benefit. fibers in the stems would move water just as the fibers in the coco husk do which is a stated benefit of coco. coco is so great though why fuck with it.

doams

WHY LOL

I honestly don’t think it is beneficial . Sitting along for the ride

Cant just throw those stems away easy thats bad right was thinking about getting rid of em by mixing em into coco which I could throw away together with processed stems in it.. best would be mixing those stems into dust and throw that away.. but how?

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I use pieces of stems as mulch, mixed with aloe leaf slices and yucca stem slices. Keeps moisture in. Keeps the bacteria and other micro organisms more active.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sounds like you're in an apartment.

Short of a compost bin on a porch, there always the easy route of an open dumpster. Construction sites are easy peasy.

-BRR-

The one thing that would err me against this is potential for any diseases to be passed on although this could be said for root residue I guess, dunno...Just uneducated rambling anyway.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Cant just throw those stems away easy thats bad right was thinking about getting rid of em by mixing em into coco which I could throw away together with processed stems in it.. best would be mixing those stems into dust and throw that away.. but how?

there is the mistake- you should reuse the coco. i add some more coco to mine once in awhile but been using mostly the same coco for 5 years:tiphat:

doams

I use pieces of stems as mulch, mixed with aloe leaf slices and yucca stem slices. Keeps moisture in. Keeps the bacteria and other micro organisms more active.

how small are those pieces/do they decompose/broke down after some time completely to dust?

what about mold and those pieces are you using some bleach on top?

Thx.

Gry

Would have to go with adjusting the ph of stems prior to tossing them. Seems like some kind some kind of ritual or ceremony might appropriate.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
how small are those pieces/do they decompose/broke down after some time completely to dust?

what about mold and those pieces are you using some bleach on top?

Thx.

They are mostly under i cm thick and 5 cm long (i don't bother with the bigger ones that i can't cut with my bone cutting shears, those go in the compoat bin.) It usually takes about half a year till they are visibly reduced and u need to add another layer, but they are brittle after a month or two. I only use this on organic beds, so microorganisms are doing their thing at a good rate. Another thing to keep in mind when using any "dead" mulch is that it will sequester N abruptly at first, then give it back slowly with the addition of new N from the mulch matter. If you add N they will break down faster. I usually just add new matter after middle of flowering cycle so it absorbs some N from the late flowering cycle, and them it starts to slowly give it back during next cycle. If you add them straight to the coco and not on top, along with this N sequestring problem you might have problems anaerobic fermentation if oxigen doesn't reach them well.
At first when I started doing this I saw some mold, probably because i was putting too much matter at a time and watering all over it. Now i can't even see mold if I dig for it in the mulch. And I would never use bleach cause that would kill exactly the microorganisms that I am looking to keep happy and in big numbers with this mulch.