What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2018 outdoor cambodian grow

yournan

Hello everyone

I should start this with mentioning that I'm a long term lurker and first time poster and would like to thank everyone here for the wonderful information found here.

This year has been real successful attempt at growing, with all past attempts being seeds planted in the bush that didn't get watered when i was younger. I'm in Australia but i was still a bit late with the seeds going in the ground in mid December. These seeds where collected in Cambodia during my travels and there growing in a mixture of compost and soil mulched with pea straw.

picture.php
picture.php

This plant is from a seed collected in Phnom Penh, its from the most common type of bud in the city its a bit citrusy with undertones of spice and skunk with a strong head high almost "trippy".

picture.php
picture.php

This one was planted a bit later and is from a seed from Siem Reap, with strong mint scent with head high but slightly calmer.

I am open to any advice.

Should i top soon?
Do they need a transplant ?

thanks everyone and I hope this is of some interest.

Mudraya

Awesome. Lookin forward to seeing how they do.

Since they are from seed I would wait until at least 7 nodes to top, better yet 12.

I'd personally wait until they bulked up a little more before transplant.

djimb

Veteran
Awesome first post! I'm a sucker for Cambodians. I've always preferred to let new plants grow untopped the first time around to get a feel for their natural structure. If height is an issue, you can always do some LST. That's my personal preference though, and I have far less experience than half of the folks here.

I'm excited to watch these kids grow up, I'm subbed and in for the long haul!

Welcome from down under. If height is an issue then I'd top them soon, otherwise you could leave them untopped. I would also get them into bigger pots or in the ground and find a sunnier spot so they can bush up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the amount of stretch it looks like they don't get many hours of direct sunlight?

yournan

Thanks everyone

I'm thinking I might top soonish but than again I agree with djimb and want to see there natural structure, hopefully they wont get taller than the fence.

Natural high you are correct I have had them in a some what shady spot due to the hot weather, I have moved them to a new spot that hopefully get more sun.

yournan

Transplant

Transplant

The girls got a fresh transplant this morning, they probably had enough room for now but its looking like they're a bit nitrogen hungry.

They are in a mixture mushroom compost and soil with a bit of blood meal mixed in hopefully it will do the trick.

yournan

Can I assume there are both females?

I apologize for the poor photo quality

Also it looks like this plant decided on doing LST

Thanks a bunch

djimb

Veteran
It's difficult to see in your photos, but those look to me like axial branch buds opening. They can be easy to mistake for female preflowers, but they'll grow into new branches. the preflowers will grow in where the branch meets the main stem, and usually only after the leaves/branches switch from opposite to alternate. When you see pistils, there'll be no doubt.

Here's an example of young branchas growing out and the beginning of alternating nodes:
picture.php

This plant ended up being a male.

And not a great photo, but Here's a shot of the first female preflowers on a different plant:
picture.php

Hope this helps!

That last plant looks like It's trying to reach the sun. Does it get a lot of shade?

They're looking great! Keep up the good work!

yournan

Right oh i guess I will have to wait a bit before knowing for sure than.

I have a feeling the wind blew it over as the tie holding it to the stake fell off, it appears to be happy though.

yournan

HELP

HELP

picture.php

Is this nitrogen deficiency? I gave it some more blood meal, is there anything else i should be doing to help? i just found it like this this morning, it has been rather cloudy.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ My plants wilt like that when they need water. Might need some nitrogen.

troutman

Seed Whore
Feed very lightly and you won't burn the plants. It's better to feed less than more with jungle plants.:tiphat:

Mist the plant heavily at night if it's sunny. In cloudy weather you can mist anytime. It seems to be dehydrating.

It may have better to acclimatize the plant in the shade for a few days prior to placing it in full sun.

I place all my transplants in the shade for a few days to a week to avoid sun stress.

Latest posts

Latest posts