What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Whats this shit?

BigPete

My bathroom tap has a slow drip and this is after 4 days. I'm in UK. My present grow has this in the reservoir, I'm using dutch master zone but its early days yet. plant seems to be super healthy, cant see roots as its a scrog and cant move it to look.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
To really know what it is, you’ll need to send a sample to a lab for analysis.

But it’s mostly calcium carbonate or bicarbonate I bet.

BigPete

I was referring to the slime ball hanging off the tap, not the salt build up I've now got slime just like whats hanging off the tap in my rez

Desert Hydro

Veteran
By the looks of it I would say it's your roommates load lol. All jokes aside I haven't ever seen anything like that. I'd get an RO filter. Your tap looks like mine, minus the jizz load of course ��

BigPete

I had new taps fitted all nice and clean so I deliberately let the cold tap drip. After 10 days this was hanging off the tap, not only that but there was a build up of moldy snot looking stuff round the plug hole. I have a hard time keeping my reservoir clean. I've put a submersible fish tank filter in the reservoir which I clean every now and then. I keep the res dosed up with zone, plant is very healthy. I just don't know what that snot stuff is.

Last edited:

iruleyou1

I had new taps fitted all nice and clean so I deliberately let the cold tap drip. After 10 days this was hanging off the tap, not only that but there was a build up of moldy snot looking stuff round the plug hole. I have a hard time keeping my reservoir clean. I've put a submersible fish tank filter in the reservoir which I clean every now and then. I keep the res dosed up with zone, plant is very healthy. I just don't know what that snot stuff is.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75676&pictureid=1817487&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75676&pictureid=1817478&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75676&pictureid=1817476&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75676&pictureid=1817475&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

I would seriously have that tested for my own good. It's probably just severely hard water but better to be safe than sorry.

B

bigganjabud

Your in London innit?

Looks like calcium build up from hard water area

I've not seen any of that where I live tbh but I moved from London about 9 months ago

I'd suggest not using any chems tbh as your just gonna be adding to the problem

Get a reverse osmosis unit and allow the water to stand over night to dissapear the chlorine mate

Il pass back from time to time and see how ya getting on

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
It's bacterial, not simply calcium.

Scrub EVERY piece of equipment with bleach and reverse osmosis water. Keep ALL tap water away from every piece of equipment you have. Rinse with clean r/o water. Use only r/o water, because it keeps these biologicals out. A drop or two of tap water on your equipment, hands or meters will quickly re-infect your reservoir.

Had well water like this once. Beat my head bloody against the wall before figuring it out. If the bleach doesn't kill it, you may need to treat everything with aquarium antibiotics. :(

Wishing you the best!

BigPete

I do live in South East UK, my tapwater is 320ppm ... very hard. I've been thinking of getting a RO unit, looks like my best option. Next time round I'll bleach everything and see how I get on. Thanks for your comments folks.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
There is a type of filter called Grow Max that is like 1 step below a RO unit... it looses nothing (unlike RO) and does not give you yoyo madshit pH problems like (pure) RO

http://growmaxwater.com/

It does not take out all the things that an RO unit does, but it will get rid of a lot of shit, inc suspicious "snot".. room mate's or not

Douglas.Curtis

it loses nothing (unlike RO) and does not give you yoyo madshit pH problems like (pure) RO
Uh, pH is rock solid stable with r/o. Using nutes incorrectly will burn roots, causing a sharp drop in pH. Not the water, the user.

15+ years of DWC and other hydro with ONLY r/o water... never had pH issues except when I screwed things up.

:tiphat:

G

ganjygav

Fuck me,
This is why I don't drink our tap water.
Last month when they were talking about all the plastic bottles of water people weren't recycling on the news.
They stated there's no need for people to be using bottled water as the uks tap water is one of the cleanest in the world.
Bullshit I say... BULLSHIT

Douglas.Curtis

They say the tap water in the USA is good as well. Your mileage may vary. I live in an area with really clean water, which is a first for me in over 4 decades. 7.2pH and about 114ppm this time of year.

All the other places had varying levels of hard minerals and heavy metals. Fortunately, only one place had slime. Gack!

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Yep- this compelled me to go check in on the water report for Denver last year. Everyone should do the same in their respective states/areas. I can't imagine too many areas that don't offer this info. Denver water is still looking pretty damn good.

BigPete

These pictures were taken over a period of 3 days, right glass cold tap left glass hot tap. My tapwater is not fit to drink and no wonder my reservoir gets slimy. No matter how much I clean and sterilise I cant win. I'm thinking of approaching my water provider to see what they have to say about this.

madalasatori

Veteran
I'm pretty sure you can send a sample of water to your water company for analysis - give em a bell. Maybe don't mention your Ganja.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
picture.php

Good luck with the fix.

Douglas.Curtis

Looks like a bacterial issue. Your solution is most likely going to be isolation of your grow from your tap water. Cleaning your equipment will require antibiotics (think fish store ) or other bacterial sterilization.

R/O filters will remove it. Total isolation though, as far as containers and what the outlet hose comes in contact with. Study up on mycology and how to work in a lab without cross contamination.