What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ace Seeds Malawi...1st pure sativa grow

Ramsthepharoah

Seedling!! At 11 days from soaking

Seedling!! At 11 days from soaking

I am now at day 11 from date of soaking and at day 8 of them being sprouted above soil level. I'm very excited to see the true leaves forming and simply cannot wait (though I have to:drum:) for them to start vigorously vegging. Is it normal for the stems to be this purple though?? A little purpling is quite common in my experience, but the stems are completely purple...(if only that translated to purple nugs)
Peace

-Pharoah

Picarus

I just sprouted some f2s gifted from another member here. I ll be following along but will probably move a little slower than you.

Old Toker

I just sprouted some f2s gifted from another member here. I ll be following along but will probably move a little slower than you.
I'm along for the ride and actually just behind you Picarus. Have a couple of Malawis one day into (hopefully) germination.
Good luck to all of us!

Ramsthepharoah

That's Great!!

That's Great!!

I'm along for the ride and actually just behind you Picarus. Have a couple of Malawis one day into (hopefully) germination.
Good luck to all of us!

This is great!! Hopefully we can share and compare on our journeys. Glad to be in communication with people growing the same genetics!!

Old Toker

Thanks for welcoming us along for the journey!
I grew a Malawi outside in organic soil last Summer and was very impressed with how hardy she was. Despite a late start, a hurricane, lack of sunshine, and numerous grower errors.....she survived until the first week of December (15 weeks).
Looks as though my two Malawis have germinated (72 hrs) and their little heads are popping up. Left side - bottom and middle
Hopefully this pic actually shows

Last edited:

Ramsthepharoah

👍🏾

👍🏾

Thanks for welcoming us along for the journey!
I grew a Malawi outside in organic soil last Summer and was very impressed with how hardy she was. Despite a late start, a hurricane, lack of sunshine, and numerous grower errors.....she survived until the first week of December (15 weeks).
Looks as though my two Malawis have germinated (72 hrs) and their little heads are popping up. Left side - bottom and middle
Hopefully this pic actually shows

Looking good!! I wish I could grow her outside and behold her in all of her glory!!lol

Old Toker

Nope. I live on a couple of wooded acres in the SE USA. I tried growing outside but the trees really limited the direct sunlight. Combine that with high humidity and I struggled to combat disease. Also my wife was always worried someone would stumble across the grow while walking in the woods....so she preferred that I grow inside the garage. And here I am... ready to try my first indoor coco grow.

My grow space is a 60"x60"x80" tent. Will be attempting a vertical grow with a 860w CDM bulb. I figure I can grow about 7 plants if I keep the containers small (I'm using 2 gal fabric pots) and don't let them veg too long. Will use a trellis system along the walls to hopefully keep them from completely taking over the grow space.

Still had some fem seeds left from the experiment outside, so I popped 2 of each hoping that I could get at least 6 or 7 through veg. Naturally I have a soft spot for the Malawis. The one outside was my first grow ever.....and despite all the adversity she managed to survive mother nature and my clumsy attempts at growing.....and STILL produce some excellent smoke. Here is what I have germed:
2 Malawi fems
2 Golden Tiger fems
2 Zimadelica fems
2 Panama Haze fems
So far all have popped out except one PH.
Will veg (this time) in the tent under a 300w LED grow light.
Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm excited about this new grow.....I hope you are also.

Last edited:

Ramsthepharoah

Crazy!!!

Crazy!!!

Nope. I live on a couple of wooded acres in the SE USA. I tried growing outside but the trees really limited the direct sunlight. Combine that with high humidity and I struggled to combat disease. Also my wife was always worried someone would stumble across the grow while walking in the woods....so she preferred that I grow inside the garage. And here I am... ready to try my first indoor coco grow.

My grow space is a 60"x60"x80" tent. Will be attempting a vertical grow with a 860w CDM bulb. I figure I can grow about 7 plants if I keep the containers small (I'm using 2 gal fabric pots) and don't let them veg too long. Will use a trellis system along the walls to hopefully keep them from completely taking over the grow space.

Still had some fem seeds left from the experiment outside, so I popped 2 of each hoping that I could get at least 6 or 7 through veg. Naturally I have a soft spot for the Malawis. The one outside was my first grow ever.....and despite all the adversity she managed to survive mother nature and my clumsy attempts at growing.....and STILL produce some excellent smoke. Here is what I have germed:
2 Malawi fems
2 Golden Tiger fems
2 Zimadelica fems
2 Panama Haze fems
Here is a pic of my empty tent:

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm excited about this new grow.....I hope you are also.

That's crazy!! I just ordered a 60x60x80. But I'll be flowering under a 600W HPS though. I bought 2 online fans one to cool the 600W so I can get a bit closer to the plants and one for venting out stale air and humidity. You have some serious sativas there. Going to be interesting to see how much space they use up!! Good luck SIR!! I have 2 malawis only. I'm going to keep topping and try to fill my space with 2 medium height bushed out girls!!:)

B

back_woods

2 Malawi fems
2 Golden Tiger fems
2 Zimadelica fems
2 Panama Haze fems
Here is a pic of my empty tent:

looks like your on your way again brother. you going to use dank franks soil mix again or doing something different. did you start a thread? i need to find it if so

Old Toker

Hey BW....how's it going?

Not going to use soil this time....going to try 100% coco.
I have 130 gallons of organic soil in a couple of 65 gal trash cans. Dank Franks recipe is excellent. Probably going to use some of it in some SIP containers for my daughter to grow tomatoes and peppers. She needs something really easy that she can just water occasionally....when she remembers. May still do an inside soil grow in the future depending on how badly I screw this one up. Either way I WILL find a good use for that soil.

No grow thread. Haven't ever done that...yet. Think there is much interest in another newbies "first grow in coco" thread? As long as Ramsthepharoah doesn't mind I thought I'd just tag along with his grow.

Hope things are going well for you brother!
looks like your on your way again brother. you going to use dank franks soil mix again or doing something different. did you start a thread? i need to find it if so

Old Toker

..I just ordered a 60x60x80. But I'll be flowering under a 600W HPS though. I bought 2 online fans one to cool the 600W so I can get a bit closer to the plants and one for venting out stale air and humidity...
Congrats on the new tent! I'm using one 8" fan and filter mounted outside the tent (above) and controlled by a variable speed controller. 8" is probably over kill for the size of our tents but it seems to run very quiet at the lowest setting and still pulls a lot of air out without much effort.
Post some more pics of your babies.

Ramsthepharoah

Sounds good!!

Sounds good!!

Congrats on the new tent! I'm using one 8" fan and filter mounted outside the tent (above) and controlled by a variable speed controller. 8" is probably over kill for the size of our tents but it seems to run very quiet at the lowest setting and still pulls a lot of air out without much effort.
Post some more pics of your babies.

Sounds great!! The faster the air can be exchanged, the less likelihood of you having humidity issues. I will definitely post more pics. Right now it hasn't had much more growth. I shall post more pics Sunday though for sure. Is dank frank's mix similar to subcool's?? And if you've tried both; which do you prefer?? Right now I kind of make my own loosely based on subcool's mix. It works pretty well, but you have to prepare at least 30 days ahead.

Old Toker

Is dank frank's mix similar to subcool's?? And if you've tried both; which do you prefer??
Sorry.....I haven't tried both. My Dank Frank's mixture recipe was given to me by another FL grower that helped me out when I first started, so I don't know the major differences. I also had to allow mine to cool for 30 days before use. So far everything I've planted in it seems to love it. Has done wonders for some of my wife's and daughter's house plants....and of course my outside Malawi.
Look forward to your pics. Re-read this thread last night. Seems as though you have quite a bit of experience with indoor growing.....just not sativas. Other than controlling their size....do you anticipate any other issues/hurdles? I'd say that if you are only growing two Malawis in that tent.....you should definitely have enough room for them to grow horizontally.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Ramsthepharoah

Humidity!!...

Humidity!!...

Sorry.....I haven't tried both. My Dank Frank's mixture recipe was given to me by another FL grower that helped me out when I first started, so I don't know the major differences. I also had to allow mine to cool for 30 days before use. So far everything I've planted in it seems to love it. Has done wonders for some of my wife's and daughter's house plants....and of course my outside Malawi.
Look forward to your pics. Re-read this thread last night. Seems as though you have quite a bit of experience with indoor growing.....just not sativas. Other than controlling their size....do you anticipate any other issues/hurdles? I'd say that if you are only growing two Malawis in that tent.....you should definitely have enough room for them to grow horizontally.
Good luck.
Humidity late at night I can see that as a possible issue with the amount of plants. As long as your area is well ventilated and air is circulating you should be good. I bought a small dehumidifier to help out as well. I notice you get humidity spikes as the air cools and condenses when the lights go off. Be diligent with monitoring that, especially late in flower. I think you'll do great though!!!! I just hope I can say the same for myself... fingers crossed. My seedlings are growing very slowly with purple stems. I'm so tempted to give them a light foliage feeding. I'm going to wait it out though.:)

Old Toker

Humidity late at night I can see that as a possible issue with the amount of plants.
I have a decent size dehumidifier which should handle the SE US humidity. My problem so far has been the opposite. At night the temps are dropping into the 40s/50s and I've been using a small electric heater in the lung room to get temps to 70+ degrees. Unfortunately the heater dries the air and the humidity is dropping below 65%. I have multiple litter pans full of water by the air intakes into the tent......but I may have to buy a cheap humidifier until the plants generate enough of their own humidity. I'm also somewhat concerned with how much the 860w will dry the room when I use it. Guess I'll tackle THAT issue if/when it becomes a problem.
I think you'll do great though!!!! I just hope I can say the same for myself... fingers crossed.
I truly believe the Malawis are hard to kill. I should know. I did plenty wrong with mine and she still survived. I'm sure you'll be fine! But fingers are crossed just in case.
My seedlings are growing very slowly with purple stems.
What light are you vegging under? I put mine under the LED last night for a couple of hours and the stems looked REALLY purple. When I put them back in the germinator (T-5)....they look green again.
I'm so tempted to give them a light foliage feeding. I'm going to wait it out though.:)
At this stage I would think that you treat them like Indicas. Which you have experience and success with. Hang in there.....they'll be fine....and so will we.
Good Luck.

BTW. I transplanted 7 of the seedlings that are in Rapid Rooters into their 16oz cup temp homes. AND!!! The last Panama Haze finally germed and popped it's little head up.
FWIW - 100% germ rate on 4 difference strains of ACE Seeds.

Ramsthepharoah

Sounds good...

Sounds good...

I have a decent size dehumidifier which should handle the SE US humidity. My problem so far has been the opposite. At night the temps are dropping into the 40s/50s and I've been using a small electric heater in the lung room to get temps to 70+ degrees. Unfortunately the heater dries the air and the humidity is dropping below 65%. I have multiple litter pans full of water by the air intakes into the tent......but I may have to buy a cheap humidifier until the plants generate enough of their own humidity. I'm also somewhat concerned with how much the 860w will dry the room when I use it. Guess I'll tackle THAT issue if/when it becomes a problem.

I truly believe the Malawis are hard to kill. I should know. I did plenty wrong with mine and she still survived. I'm sure you'll be fine! But fingers are crossed just in case.
What light are you vegging under? I put mine under the LED last night for a couple of hours and the stems looked REALLY purple. When I put them back in the germinator (T-5)....they look green again.
At this stage I would think that you treat them like Indicas. Which you have experience and success with. Hang in there.....they'll be fine....and so will we.
Good Luck.

BTW. I transplanted 7 of the seedlings that are in Rapid Rooters into their 16oz cup temp homes. AND!!! The last Panama Haze finally germed and popped it's little head up.
FWIW - 100% germ rate on 4 difference strains of ACE Seeds.
During Veg the Humidity is never really an issue, but when they start to flower and the leaves begin to touch each other and the girls grow to fill the room, the stomata begin to open up to release oxygen and respire; that's when the humidity spikes happen. I find in my setup it usually happens during flower and at night along with air condensation. I find it ironic that its dry during veg when I need higher humidity, but it's more humid during flower when I need less humidity!! Lol... oh well... I definitely need a dehumidifier!!

I certainly will hang I. There. Thanks for the well wishes!! Right now I'm currently vegging under a 150W HPS. I recently ordered a 600W MH so in about a 3-5 days they'll be going under that.

Im glad everything you germinated sprouted!! Looking forward to seeing your progress!! Here are my two little seedlings. They haven't shown me much above soil, but I hope it's because those roots are really getting going down below!!

Attachments

• IMG_0340.jpg
    IMG_0340.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0339.jpg
    IMG_0339.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 15

Old Toker

I find it ironic that its dry during veg when I need higher humidity, but it's more humid during flower when I need less humidity!!
Yep.....I think we started late. Supposedly a lot of deep south indoor growers take a break from growing during the summer and wait until fall. Nice humid Oct/November during veg, and dryer Dec/Jan/Feb for flowering. I may do the same after this grow (if it's a success).

Looks like your girls are starting to develop their 3rd & 4th set of true leaves. My Malawis are about the same size but only one set of true leaves. Like yours, they seem to have paused their vertical growing to hopefully focus on their root development.

Ramsthepharoah

I gotta keep growin!!

I gotta keep growin!!

Yep.....I think we started late. Supposedly a lot of deep south indoor growers take a break from growing during the summer and wait until fall. Nice humid Oct/November during veg, and dryer Dec/Jan/Feb for flowering. I may do the same after this grow (if it's a success).

Looks like your girls are starting to develop their 3rd & 4th set of true leaves. My Malawis are about the same size but only one set of true leaves. Like yours, they seem to have paused their vertical growing to hopefully focus on their root development.

I'm right along with you in terms of the Deep South. I'm in TX... but I just gotta keep growing. I'm not going to stop, I just have to make the necessary adjustments.

Latest posts

Latest posts