What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic Pest/Dieases IPM 101

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Blue Jay

The first neem meal I used was from DTE and I foolishly followed their directions which called for 2 cups to 1 c.f. of potting soil.

You talk about smelling bad! That could be a security concern because a busybody smelling this could assume that you're involved in any number of illegal activities since it's different than anything most people are familiar with. Bombs. Rotting bodies in the basement. Meth.

I found a better product and definitely found better information on how to use it.

CC

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
plants look and smell fine

fwiw pistils were not happy, not sweating it just reporting results to those who may be interested

I am going to try to find out the source of need meal later today if possible

Neo 420

Veteran
DTE Neem is bad quality? I never had other neems to compare. DTE Neem is the only neem I can find and I drive 30 to 40 miles out to purchase it.

B

BlueJayWay

Neo! Get your butt to neemresource .com and get your hands in some organic neem seed meal! It's a world of difference....I don't know if I'd say DTE is 'bad' quality but ahimsa does put it to shame....

Neo 420

Veteran
NICE..They got cold pressed oil too! I'll put an order in for the oil, neemcake and the soap. The application rate change with these products? Interesting to see the differences with this stuff in relations to IPM strategy...

CW

If you already have thrips spinosad works pretty good for them is what I hear from others who used it but it can also harm other soil organisms so go light on it when using directly on the soil and maybe try a topdress of neem/ crab meal

From the first page a good rundown from CC

Mix 4 oz. Spinosad to 1 gallon water. Add 1/4 Aloe vera and 2 tsp. of Pro-TeKt

Spray every 72 hours until you have completed 4 applications.

All Spinosad products come from one manufacturer - Eli Lilly. They have licensed Bonide to pack this under their name "Captain Jack's Deadbug Brew" which is around $20.00 for 16 oz, i.e. 4 applications.

The other licensee is Monterey Garden Products which they sell as 'Monterey Garden Products Spinosad Concentrate' and it's 32 oz. for $22.00 so it's 1/2 the price as the grow store product - as usual.

Monterey Gardens also has a ready-to-use Spinosad spray - worthless.

Because Spinosad is a bacteria culture and not a plant compound (Linalool, Camphor, etc.) it is not subject to breakdown from light and air and therefore remains on the plant's leaves and branches longer making it very effective by causing the insect's nervous system to go into hyperactivity preventing them from eating, reproducing, etc.

Works well......

CC

right, and it does seem like it, but if i can keep them at bay with botanicals i may go that route. they are in mid flower and last water on monday morning so nows the time.. going with neem aloe and oregano spray,may even toss in raw garlic for good measure. i am concerned mainly with the plants health and reaching maturity ASAP, not there stone

moses wellfleet

Veteran
right, and it does seem like it, but if i can keep them at bay with botanicals i may go that route. they are in mid flower and last water on monday morning so nows the time.. going with neem aloe and oregano spray,may even toss in raw garlic for good measure. i am concerned mainly with the plants health and reaching maturity ASAP, not there stone
the answer to your problem right here:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=232274

Greenheart

Veteran
I thought neem meal smelled about like ground up preggo vitamins.

Foliar neem spraying in a process like I sprayed for spider mites worked on thrips the couple times I had them. Once again when treating for leaf pests with neem oil foliar spraying I suggest defoliation down to small fans/new growth and then make sure to spray front, back, stems, stalks and top of soil every other day for about 10 days. Be sure to clean the environment and remove all scrap material. Defoliation so long as you believe the plant is still healthy enough as it just makes the process easier and more certain.

O

OrganicOzarks

What up with all of the biological controls? It seems as though almost every single critter can be taken care of by them.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
What up with all of the biological controls? It seems as though almost every single critter can be taken care of by them.
Close to it, if you keep an eye on pests and bring in predators early enough then it's possible to prevent an outbreak of just about anything.

My swirskiis are saving me at the moment, got signs of broad mite damage on my young clones but I caught it early and should pull through it!

ProperGreen

Diatomaceous Earth as a foliar?

Diatomaceous Earth as a foliar?

Nice thread Neo :tiphat:

Was wondering about DE(Diatomaceous earth) now that I have some on hand.
What do you think about using it as a foliar?
From what I understand it should work similiar to a Protekt when it has dried?

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
horizonherbs.com is one resource

seeds/plants to grow your own and/or dried herb/extracts ready to use

T

The Sensi Rebel

Can anybody post me a link of the most cost-efficient beneficial insects you can find? Like Californicus or other things that prey on mites or anything of the like. The local hydro store wants $100 per order of the buggers

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I agree. I avoid the sprays, heavy DE, heavy chitinase and neem type products because of their potential to negatively impact all arthropods, fungi, some bacteria, nematodes and perhaps worms.

I understand that everyone does not have the flexibility to garden this way. I count on a really living soil to keep things as much in check as possible.

We just released into our gardens (greenhouse & outdoors) persimilis, cucumeris, Amblyseius fallacis and ladybugs plus my old friends the rove beetles have showed up. This is proactive to prevent pest insects. This is my first time trying the fallacis. Apparently if temperatures do not get too high then once you have them, you have them.
http://www.appliedbio-nomics.com/products/fallacis
But get this! Not only do they control mites but also will feed on other bugs and pollen.