Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > MountainOrganics "New" No-Till Recipe Grow... Let's Do This!!

Thread Title Search
MountainOrganics "New" No-Till Recipe Grow... Let's Do This!! Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-12-2018, 01:57 AM #1
newguy41410

newguy41410 is a jewel in the roughnewguy41410 is a jewel in the roughnewguy41410 is a jewel in the roughnewguy41410 is a jewel in the roughnewguy41410 is a jewel in the roughnewguy41410 is a jewel in the rough
MountainOrganics "New" No-Till Recipe Grow... Let's Do This!!

Hey all, I am transitioning from hydro to No-till gardening! I follow MountainOrganics (creator of the infamous NTG: Revisited thread) on Instagram and he recently made an IG post describing his "new" soil recipe which is simply:

Equal Parts:
  1. Very High-Quality Compost (Malibu Compost works great)
  2. Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss
  3. Aeration (Lava rock or Pumice)
Per Cu Ft of Base Soil:
  • 8-10 Cups of BioChar
  • 8-12 Cups of Rock Dust
That's it! No amendments! I even DM'd him on IG to ask him if the above recipe really doesn't need any amendments at all and his response was
Quote:
No Need to! The beefed up minerals covers it all and biochar adds longevity!
And if i am not mistaken he doesn't even use any kinds of teas, he just does water only! BUT he does do foliar sprays of his "tonics."

He has ventured into the cannabis business world and has his own line of bottled tonics that he sells. Apparently, these are the only foliar sprays he uses. So aside from water only he does foliar sprays and that's it! I hope to eventually dive further into the subject of his tonics, as I would love to try to emulate his tonics as much as possible, in hopes of finding what I'd like to call a bare-bones minimal-input no-till gardening system that produces quality crop.

Through this thread, I hope to learn more about soil and the life that comes with it, in general. I also hope my thread can maybe become an inspiration or maybe help someone(s) come to understand something they never completely understood before. Or I hope that this thread can maybe serve as a reference to any beginners starting up no-till soil and that others follow along to not only experience anything that I may share, but to also share any valuable information that can assist others!

With that being said I leave you with pics of my progress so far:

Brand new fresh soil! So far all I've done to it is get it wet. I plan to throw in some worms and some cover crops. Most likely cover crops will be clover, fenugreek, and maybe buckwheat or cowpeas.

I will be planting 5 plants. 3 are unsexed regular seedlings of the strain "Prayer Tower" by Bodhi. It is a cross of Appalachia and a sativa-dominant Lemon Thai. I will also be planting 2 Gorilla Bubble BX4 clones I have.
newguy41410 is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:20 AM #2
PaulieWaulie

PaulieWaulie is just really nicePaulieWaulie is just really nicePaulieWaulie is just really nicePaulieWaulie is just really nicePaulieWaulie is just really nicePaulieWaulie is just really nicePaulieWaulie is just really nicePaulieWaulie is just really nicePaulieWaulie is just really nicePaulieWaulie is just really nice
Il be the first to say VERY COOL!! I have spent the last year researching and acquiring a tonne of amendments, so of course as soon as I have it all and mix it up, someone goes out and does none of it. Very curious and excited to see how it turns out. I could see this work if you had some ace up your sleeve like homemade jacked up to the max EWC, or the biochar that was inoculated with a potent soak, but it looks like just regular unloaded biochar, and store-bought compost! So yeah, I'm doubtful, but looking forward to being surprised and learning a good lesson here.

Then again, you provided a link to his 600 page grasscity thread so the proof is already there. Looks like I got some reading to do.
PaulieWaulie is offline Quote

Old 06-12-2018, 12:27 PM #3
RogueChief

RogueChief is on a distinguished road
I don't doubt that it should work though it may be slow going at first until the worms really have a chance to cycle through the soil and add their magic. I planted an avocado tree with 6 cubic feet of the base soil mix with minimal amendments added and it is one of the healthier avocado trees that I have seen around. There is a lot to be said for quality compost and worms in your soil.

I have found that using a nice thick layer of dry mulch consisting of straw or hay (I also like to add yarrow flowers, dandelion, borage, and/or lavender buds from around the yard for diversity) will break down nicely with time and give the worms an extra food source to chew on and cycle into your soil mix. From your pics I would guess that you live in a hot area and having a good mulch layer will help keep your soil moist.

I'm excited to see the progress and good luck!
RogueChief is offline Quote

Old 06-12-2018, 06:47 PM #4
Tommysalami

Tommysalami will become famous soon enough
We are following very similar paths although you have the luxury of using the sun! Our soil mixes are identical but I went the amendment route as has been traditional with this style. Hopefully you don’t mind but I posted a link to my thread on the subject below. Hopefully you’ll find some benefit! I’ll be subscribed to this so I can see the differences!

I’m like less than a week into this so it should be a nice parallel to your grow with very minimal differences in terms of soil structure and light source.

In theory the compost and castings that you’ll eventuallly get should provide everything required for success. Best of luck! I’ll be watching!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=353453
Tommysalami is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:49 PM #5
Tommysalami

Wait...you did charge the Biochar first right?

Old 06-12-2018, 11:20 PM #6
PaulieWaulie

PaulieWaulie is just really nicePaulieWaulie is just really nicePaulieWaulie is just really nicePaulieWaulie is just really nicePaulieWaulie is just really nicePaulieWaulie is just really nicePaulieWaulie is just really nicePaulieWaulie is just really nicePaulieWaulie is just really nicePaulieWaulie is just really nice
For anyone that is enjoying the no till mofo thread or wants to learn more without going through all 600+ pages I will update this message with all the pages that MOFO makes his excellent extensive and detailed educational posts.

Hope OP doesn't mind. I will update this message once a week or so.

Here they are:

PaulieWaulie is offline Quote

Old 06-12-2018, 11:25 PM #7
paradoxlost

paradoxlost has a spectacular aura aboutparadoxlost has a spectacular aura aboutparadoxlost has a spectacular aura aboutparadoxlost has a spectacular aura about
Something tells me the calcium won't be high enough and the micros will be out of whack
paradoxlost is online now Quote

Old 06-13-2018, 03:26 AM #8
Tommysalami

First image with the tarp all spread out, what’s in the brown bag to the right of the red bucket? What did you end up for as aeration?

Old 06-13-2018, 05:26 AM #9
Microbeman
The Logical Gardener

Microbeman has disabled reputation
2 questions

In what world is this no till?
What worms?

"When the facts change, I change my mind.
What do you do, sir?"
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone."
~John Maynard Keynes~
Sorry: No questions by PM, check my webpage
Microbeman is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:24 PM #10
RogueChief

RogueChief is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysalami View Post
First image with the tarp all spread out, what’s in the brown bag to the right of the red bucket? What did you end up for as aeration?
I think the brown bag is rock dust, probably glacial rock dust.
RogueChief is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.