What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

38 year old seeds popped!

SacredC

Not Ace related, but as lovers of landrace genetics I thought this would be a good place to share my excitement.

So my mom has been living with an old man from the northern mendocino / southern humboldt hills for the past 5-6 years helping him out, he is 93 years old and has been growing out there since the mid 70's, a while back he told me that he had kept a lot of his seeds from over the years in his horse stable, they were all very well kept in jars with oxygen absorbers and old magazine paper in an old military ammunition box.

Well!! I came across a ton of seeds, ranging from 1977 to 1991
and I was told to take whatever I cared to.

I just put some seeds in a paper towel yesterday afternoon that were labeled [Afghan x Cambodian 1980] and already 7 out of 28 have tails sticking out!!! 1980!!!! almost 40 years, I cant believe it and I am so excited!

The tap roots on some of them are a weird color, but they popped out nonetheless which says to me "THEYRE ALIVEEEEEEEE"

other seeds I found were often not labled as a strain unfortunately, but I did come across some Mazar i Sharif seeds by the hundreds from 78-81.

SolarLogos

What a find!!! You are one lucky dude. I'm a N.Cali native and probably grew up in his back yard. I grew up in the hills on the north end of Mendocino county throughout the 70' and 80's. Good stuff, good memories.
Peace

SacredC

May be a little late for them to get big outdoors, but I'm excited either way! Wish them luck!

Attachments

• 20180605_115256.jpg
    20180605_115256.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 44

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Wow awesome find. That could be the first post of a huge thread. Like epic levels. Very best of luck to you on this endeavor! I don't pray, but this bowl is for you seeds who are older than me.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Dang I had a ton of genetics prolly 5k worth that were around 10yrs old and I couldn't get anything to germ. I didn't have them properly stored though. I'll make dang sure to store seeds correctly from now on, even if I plan to stop growing again I'll make sure I have the genetics hopefully. This is amazing my friend I've never heard many stories of this kind !!!!

SacredC

All of the jars had old magazine paper and these silica gel packets. I guess it helped.

Attachments

• 20180605_121231.jpg
    20180605_121231.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 45

Koondense

Veteran
You got me subbed for the show :)
Max respect to the old man for keeping and sharing these gems!

Cheers

Bumbatar

What you have here is very very rare and very very special. You should think about how once these are gone THEY ARE GONE. You will never be able to replicate what you have unless you figure out how to make time travel work. You should do a lot of testing and cloning and send samples to Phylos Bioscience so they can figure out their genetic heritage with DNA testing and that big cannabis DNA data base they have. You should also give some away to people you can trust to do the right thing with them so you alone are not stuck with the bill from genetic and chemical testing.

Some of the indicas you find may be closely related to the first indicas brought to California by "The Brotherhood of Eternal Love" hippie mafia organization founded by Timothy Leary. You may find some high CBD low THC phenos due to them being so close to their wild Afghan roots.

deepwaterdude

Subbed, definitely a fun grow coming;) May they have vigor!
I popped some seeds in 1985 or so that were early 70s keepers, no idea what strain, looking back, probably colombian or mexican; massive leaves, did well in NY state summers. Popped fifty, no worries! I think the landraces probably do better than the worked strains for long keeping, but no evidence to prove this;)
Looking forward to the next months!

SacredC

What you have here is very very rare and very very special. You should think about how once these are gone THEY ARE GONE. You will never be able to replicate what you have unless you figure out how to make time travel work. You should do a lot of testing and cloning and send samples to Phylos Bioscience so they can figure out their genetic heritage with DNA testing and that big cannabis DNA data base they have. You should also give some away to people you can trust to do the right thing with them so you alone are not stuck with the bill from genetic and chemical testing.

Some of the indicas you find may be closely related to the first indicas brought to California by "The Brotherhood of Eternal Love" hippie mafia organization founded by Timothy Leary. You may find some high CBD low THC phenos due to them being so close to their wild Afghan roots.

Good call! I know they are definitely special, I more than likely will give some away and hopefully something good can emerge to be preserved and cherished by many.

SacredC

One of the seeds has a funky think going on, this weird translucent stuff on the tail it's not water it's like solid. Anyone seen this before?

Attachments

• 20180605_133755.jpg
    20180605_133755.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 20180605_133818.jpg
    20180605_133818.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 35

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Awesome!! Can't wait to see what you get. Don't cull the males right away....at least make a couple hybrids or "f2's" with them.

707OGBUSH970

The Brotherhood of Eternal Love was founded by John Griggs in Laguna Beach, definitely not Timothy Leary. They did hook up later. You should check out their story. They were a bunch of thugs originally who gave up their guns after stealing some LSD and being shown the light. After taking the L, they gave it back to the movie producer they had taken it from, and apologized and asked where they could get more.
Also, amazing find OP. Really stoked for you. I lived in the Emerald Triangle for 15 years and grew some old stuff but never had a find like that. You are lucky. I would definitely get it into the Phylos bank. Cheers!