Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > IC Magazine > Marijuana News > YouTube Continues Its Cannabis Purge and Nobody Knows Why

Thread Title Search
YouTube Continues Its Cannabis Purge and Nobody Knows Why Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2018, 10:15 PM #1
Robrites

Robrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivor
YouTube Continues Its Cannabis Purge and Nobody Knows Why

A few weeks ago, Sam Houston, a California cannabis aficionado, was checking out some of his favorite YouTube channels when he noticed a trend. One by one, accounts such as those run by users “Vader OG” and the horticulturalist known as Jorge Cervantes were being shut down. All were given the same ominous message: The channel’s content had been flagged for review and was found to violate YouTube’s guidelines.

For the last month, the global video platform has been shutting down a wide swath of cannabis channels, often with little or no warning.
Houston, who works as a community manager in San Francisco, was perplexed. Those channels have been around for a long time. Some were showing or discussing cannabis growing techniques or sharing the trials and tribulations of growing the plant. Most were merely informational videos, not sexually explicit or dangerous in any way.
Houston wasn’t alone. His frustration has been felt across the entire community of cannabis YouTube content creators. For the last month, the global video platform has been shutting down a wide swath of cannabis channels, often with little or no warning. Two years ago, Facebook famously shut down many cannabis-related accounts, but YouTube has always been much friendlier and more tolerant of cannabis material.
The move, which came with no public notice from YouTube, has the cannabis world confounded. It comes as an abrupt about-face at a time when cannabis is gaining wider social acceptance. The plant remains federally illegal, but only a small handful of states outlaw it in all forms.

YouTube’s Warning Flags

Dylan Osborn is the founder of Greenbox Grown. It’s a site and channel aimed at teaching people how to grow their own medicine “without spending too much money or without too much time or effort,” he told Leafly. YouTube flagged the channel a few weeks ago.
That channel boasted 13,000 subscribers and more than 200 videos. Many of them were instructional how-to videos, along with strain reviews. Several months ago Osborn started getting flagged, the “sixth time in the last four months,” he estimated. But he’d always be reinstated with a quick email.
This time, though, it wasn’t just his channel. “You could tell it was different,” he said. “Lots of other channels were getting taken down, channels that had been around for years and years.”
Why Cannabis? Why Now?

Osborn expressed frustration at the inability to figure out how exactly he was suddenly violating the channel’s rules. “There are tons of other videos violating content guidelines that aren’t cannabis related,” he said. “You can watch videos about how to make bombs out of household items on YouTube all day.”
Osborn has since switched to self-hosting his videos and charging a $14.99 monthly subscription fee.

MORE

Legal Weed is the fastest growing industry in the United States.

Robrites is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:34 PM #2
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud of
Follow the money. When you feel like puking, you'll have figured it out.

Who stands to lose hundreds of billions of dollars to cannabis? I'd suggest starting your investigation with those folks.
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:36 PM #3
Tudo
Troublemaker

Tudo is a survivorTudo is a survivorTudo is a survivorTudo is a survivorTudo is a survivorTudo is a survivorTudo is a survivorTudo is a survivorTudo is a survivorTudo is a survivorTudo is a survivor
I paid a web guy to develop my own personal youtube. I'm 64 years old I got tired of favorite video's being taken down. When will some enterprising young person develop a competing source to you tube?

Old 04-25-2018, 11:55 PM #4
Stickybred420

Stickybred420 is just really niceStickybred420 is just really niceStickybred420 is just really niceStickybred420 is just really niceStickybred420 is just really niceStickybred420 is just really niceStickybred420 is just really niceStickybred420 is just really nice
doobtube
Stickybred420 is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:07 AM #5
BadTicket
ØG T®ipL3 ØG³

BadTicket has much to be proud ofBadTicket has much to be proud ofBadTicket has much to be proud ofBadTicket has much to be proud ofBadTicket has much to be proud ofBadTicket has much to be proud ofBadTicket has much to be proud ofBadTicket has much to be proud ofBadTicket has much to be proud ofBadTicket has much to be proud ofBadTicket has much to be proud of
Yea, it's most likely catering towards advertisers (money) and making the site more family friendly. Weed, while it's getting more "every day'ish" & accepted by lawmakers and I guess the general public, is still illegal in most parts of the planet. YT got scared little over a year ago when some big money advertisers noticed their ads playing before some ISIS Jihad videos and shit like that, and pulled out big bucks. So YT-bigwigs overreacted and demonetized a lot of channels and stuff they deemed too violent or whatever and left em hanging for a while. Like I follow a couple of wrestling podcasts on youtube. Around Wrestlemania time last year, all said hits and views are increasing, but ad-revenue is almost zero, cause YT deemed pro-rasslin too violent of whatever. I think it's better for em now, but I wouldn't trust YT to treat stuff like weed better, for reasons I stated earlier. They even messed with a few gaming channels who were doing stuff like Minecraft, so anything can happen before they think things thru.

Also, I don't think 13,000 subs for a channel is something they would regret killing off. When you hit 100k subs or something, they might start to care more. Cause money.

Anyways, there's stuff like Vimeo and Dailymotion who are more lenient towards what videos and subjects ppl upload and watch. Sure they aren't as big as YT, but there u go.

Last edited by BadTicket; 04-26-2018 at 02:32 AM.. Reason: Typos
BadTicket is offline Quote

Old 04-26-2018, 01:36 AM #6
nickman

nickman has much to be proud ofnickman has much to be proud ofnickman has much to be proud ofnickman has much to be proud ofnickman has much to be proud ofnickman has much to be proud ofnickman has much to be proud ofnickman has much to be proud ofnickman has much to be proud ofnickman has much to be proud ofnickman has much to be proud of
Shits crazy...!!!...

nickman is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:06 PM #7
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud ofDouglas.Curtis has much to be proud of
D.Tube

Replacement for Youtube. No one can take your videos down AND you can get paid in cryptocurrency for your videos.
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

Old 04-26-2018, 04:01 PM #8
green404

green404 is just really nicegreen404 is just really nicegreen404 is just really nicegreen404 is just really nicegreen404 is just really nicegreen404 is just really nicegreen404 is just really nicegreen404 is just really nicegreen404 is just really nice
A similar thing happened with the gun channels on youtube a few years back. Youtube just started deleting them saying “they were flagged”.

Personally I think Youtube is geared for profit$$ and mainstream they do not want to much weed, “drugs”,guns,etc showing
up.

If you produce internet materiel you should never relay on someones website.

-Get your own website put a vimeo(or similar video hosting) feed in it.
-Support the little guy, host a percentage of videos on the next up and coming youtube competitor
-Only put 30%-40% of you videos on youtube and put links to your other outlets.

Bottom line, it is youtubes/google/major monopoly's site not “your” channel. They can do anything with their website they want(or their shareholder agree to). You can do anything with your site, so create it and don't feed the monopolistic problem.
green404 is online now Quote

Old 04-26-2018, 04:10 PM #9
growingcrazy

growingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of light
The Owner's of the channels are making money from Youtube. Youtube doesn't want anything to do with paying someone for federally illegal activities.

Making a profit, cannabis and banking are still not a combo at federal level.

That is my take on the situation.
growingcrazy is offline Quote

Old 04-26-2018, 04:22 PM #10
EasyGoing
Banned

EasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of light
Pretty clear why youtube doesn't want cannabis........ They don't want open minds.
EasyGoing is offline Quote