What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fractal Design Define XL - PC grow cabinet

roflio

So I recently finished my really slow-ass project (started mid-summer) of repurposing a PC case as a grow cabinet. Now that I consider it to be finished (I just need some quality soil and I am ready to start), I thought I'd make a post about how it all went.
---------------------------------------------

You can google Fractal Design Define XL to see how it looks "by default", this is how it looks with all the HDD case and separator removed. Took a bit of drilling.

Since I did not like the idea of the backside of the case leaking smelly air like there is no tomorrow, I worked on it a bit. This part is probably hardest to do if you don't have access to the right tools. Luckily I have a friend who works in industrial manufacturing and he helped me cut out a new metal backplate to cover all the stupid holes normally found on the back of a PC case.

Cut out the exhaust fan grill to fit...

... this for...

... this active carbon filter. My original plan was to have a small one inside the case along with just 1 plan. The webstore I purchased the filter fucked up and sent me a filter way larger than the one I ordered and since I couldn't be bothered to send it back, I thought "what the hell, I can still make this work".

roflio

Right, apparently there is no "edit" and no "delete post" buttons? Oh well....

The 138W LED I got off Ebay is stupidly good value for money spent, but the stock fan it came with was outrageously loud, so I replaced it with a Noctua running through an LNA.

Almost finished. The LED lamp is attached to the top of the case using stupidly powerful magnetic hooks.

Voila! The assembly and wiring and everything is done.

This is how it looks from the outside. My goal was to be able to have non-420-friendly people over without lots of stress. I think I achieved that. A nerdy person has a PC in the corner of a living room with some minor fan humming noise? Somebody call the cops! ;)

Roflio, welcome!
Nice looking setup you've got there!
This monster-filter should work well and last for a long time.
138w in a PC is a lot. What are the temps outside/inside?
Wish you good luck with your grows!

Classic 420

Seems like they have had a healthy start already!. Case is coming together nice along with the vents.. 138 as already said is a lot, they are going to grow fast :laughing:

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Wow looks really slick, cant wait to see how it works.

What bulb/lamp did you get? Im looking to do a micro grow and i need something stupid cheap too!

roflio

A couple of days into veg:

The left plant has been topped twice, the right one has been fimmed once. Lower leaves are showing some nutrient deficiency, but that has been solved now.

doams

Cut out the exhaust fan grill to fit...
View Image

... this for...
View Image

... this active carbon filter. My original plan was to have a small one inside the case along with just 1 plan. The webstore I purchased the filter fucked up and sent me a filter way larger than the one I ordered and since I couldn't be bothered to send it back, I thought "what the hell, I can still make this work".

hey man what kind of fan is used to blow air into that big ass carbon filter?
Guess its not just regular pc type fan?

roflio

Entering week 2 of flowering:

Most important lesson learned so far: do NOT fim (right-side plant) a micro grow plant, only top (left-side plant). Topping results in near-symmetrical new growth that practically gets itself into an even canopy on it's own, while trying to achieve an even canopy with a fimmed plant seems damn near-impossible.

Killkingkong

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=65045&pictureid=1569451&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Most important lesson learned so far: do NOT fim (right-side plant) a micro grow plant, only top (left-side plant). Topping results in near-symmetrical new growth that practically gets itself into an even canopy on it's own, while trying to achieve an even canopy with a fimmed plant seems damn near-impossible.

tie the branches from the FIM plant down with string so the canopy is even.

doams

View Image

just a little tip and also a reminder for self man dont use lot of grow fert. during veg coz you risk overgrowing ur space and that kinda sux sometimes bcoz of limited space need of positioning and stuff not saying it cant be done :laughing::tiphat:

Anything special in pots as medium soil/coco/or smthg. else?

Last edited: