Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Seed Sprouting in humidity dome

Thread Title Search
Seed Sprouting in humidity dome Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-13-2018, 06:30 PM #11
Nichead

Nichead will become famous soon enough
If using a dome, you have to take it off every day for at least an hour, even when cloning. Mold thrives on the peat pellets in high humidity, and the plants (clones or seeds) will also wilt if you have never removed the lid and acclimated them to normal humidity.
Nichead is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:54 PM #12
PaulieWaulie

PaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of light
Suprised at how many more people chimed in! Icmag is pretty amazing in this regard. I see other forums where newbies ask basic questions like this and get no response for years. So thanks everyone, youve helped steer me in the right direction again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switcher56 View Post
My understanding is that "new seedlings" require high humidity because until their roots get established, their uptake is through the leaves. So I use the dome and never had any issues with seeds dying off (knock on wood)

IMHO one should sit down (unmedicated) LOL and figure out the common denominator when troubleshooting. So you have had success in the past then, all of a sudden... How deep are you burying them? Could it be associated with sub par seeds for whatever reason, etc? If you have any seeds (from successful runs) left, try striking those as a benchmark so to speak, and see what happens.

Forums are great but they can be a pain, regardless of topic. Opinions are like belly buttons! When faced with a dilemma, I ask myself if the entire commercial industry uses humidity domes and, as is well... Where did I screw up?
Ive been burying seeds 1/4" deep, and that top layer is added on very lightly to make it easy for the sprout to push its way through. It could have been the seeds but most likely I am to blame. 1/8 did come up right away so hopefully its a girl and makes me proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Boucher View Post
Been down that road. Sorry for your loss. Put $400 dollars of seeds under a dome once after taking a break to rethink everything. Super discouraging. Part of the learning curve, I suppose.

I know some dank growers clone without domes or might sprout seedlings with them, but I would wager that anybody who hasn't dialed in yet would benefit from covering their clones and uncovering their seedlings.

This hobby gets stupid expensive when you start to rely on the forums for information. Better to have friends or family with real world experience who don't mind holding your hand.

Anyways.. My belly button needs a warshing. It stinks.
Yeah that makes me feel better that this was only a pack of freebies, and not a couple hundred dollar packs. In fact I popped a pack of Goji OG by bodhi right before this, got 8/8 germination and sprouting. I would have been devastated if they would have been the ones lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTripleOG View Post
Pretty sure you "cooked them" to death. I say that because I have done the same thing a few years ago. Used one of those little 2" domes that come with a empty tray. Loaded it up with seeds, put the dome on. Didn't realize how hot is was gonna get that day. Dome had condensation all over the inside, soil was really warm to the touch. The seeds when squeezed were like a popped pimple, lol.

From then on, it was plant seeds directly in medium. No dome, and only a heat mat in the dead of winter.
I would agree that they may have gotten cooked, I did have a hygrometer in the dome the whole time as I had clones in there. Temps did stay in the 75-85 Range. I was not airing it out so I think that was the doing in of this batch. I stopped using a heating pad as well as it seems to cause more harm than good lately for clones and like you said cooking seedlings. I have had success since this incident with more recent seedlings thank god!
PaulieWaulie is online now Quote

Old 06-13-2018, 06:58 PM #13
Switcher56

Switcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichead View Post
If using a dome, you have to take it off every day for at least an hour, even when cloning. Mold thrives on the peat pellets in high humidity, and the plants (clones or seeds) will also wilt if you have never removed the lid and acclimated them to normal humidity.
Good point That being said get domes with vents, open them 1hr per day if so desired. I run my dome vents shut 1st week, 3 days vents 1/2 shut, 4 days vents wide open. By this time (2 weeks) I have 3 sets of serrated leaves ----> beer cups. Week 1 of veg starts.

BTW I do not water during this phase. If the top of the peat plug is dry, I mist it. I have seen folks spray the inside of their dome every time they lift it up. If it has condensation on the roof/walls = no need for water. My humidity is coming from the peat plug and a strive to maintain RH with a slight condensation akin to your bathroom mirror after a shower. Just a light coating not large droplets hanging from the ceiling.

I say this because I have seen it done.! Hope this helps
Switcher56 is online now Quote

Old 06-13-2018, 07:02 PM #14
Switcher56

Switcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieWaulie View Post
Suprised at how many more people chimed in! Icmag is pretty amazing in this regard. I see other forums where newbies ask basic questions like this and get no response for years. So thanks everyone, youve helped steer me in the right direction again.

Ive been burying seeds 1/4" deep, and that top layer is added on very lightly to make it easy for the sprout to push its way through. It could have been the seeds but most likely I am to blame. 1/8 did come up right away so hopefully its a girl and makes me proud.

Yeah that makes me feel better that this was only a pack of freebies, and not a couple hundred dollar packs. In fact I popped a pack of Goji OG by bodhi right before this, got 8/8 germination and sprouting. I would have been devastated if they would have been the ones lost.

I would agree that they may have gotten cooked, I did have a hygrometer in the dome the whole time as I had clones in there. Temps did stay in the 75-85 Range. I was not airing it out so I think that was the doing in of this batch. I stopped using a heating pad as well as it seems to cause more harm than good lately for clones and like you said cooking seedlings. I have had success since this incident with more recent seedlings thank god!
I have never used a heating pad. IMHO if you are watering with room temp water, I don't see a need for a htg pad. Stores sell stuff and us "dumb" consumers buy stuff. I don't buy anything that is not shiny LOL.
I am glad you got it figures out
Switcher56 is online now Quote

Old 06-13-2018, 07:52 PM #15
Snook

Snook has disabled reputation
only dome I use is a 16oz clear solo cup with a 1" hole carefully drilled into the bottom... seed>shot glass w tap water, til they crack > into small dish w wet paper towel covered with saran wrap, day or two till tap root appears> into medium & cover with cup over seed spot. stays in place til 4-6 days after germ. then cup goes away.. not too much air movement... 78-82F - water some every other day until they demand more not too much light.. Using 1, 2' 12w T5 in my cloning area which is above the veg area which is powered by 4, 2' T5s.. if the seed does its part, success is about 95%, clone success is in the 90% area in a bubble cloner (home made) no dome... humidity 45%-60%.. and it took a long time before I'd get it (seeds) right that 90% of the time.. and yes I've tried heat mats and domes, spraying and other shit I cant remember.. KISS

Snook is offline Quote

Old 06-13-2018, 09:12 PM #16
Pinnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieWaulie View Post
I have a habit of shoving them an inch into the medium ─ max germ. rate and the husk is always left behind...

That's after soaking overnight in a glass with a touch of bleach or HP added!

No fucking around with paper towels and shit...

I once found a stray shoot in an old tub of soil ─ its stem was about 18 inches long.

Lust for life, eh?

Old 06-13-2018, 10:35 PM #17
DoubleTripleOG
Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire

DoubleTripleOG is a survivorDoubleTripleOG is a survivorDoubleTripleOG is a survivorDoubleTripleOG is a survivorDoubleTripleOG is a survivorDoubleTripleOG is a survivorDoubleTripleOG is a survivorDoubleTripleOG is a survivorDoubleTripleOG is a survivorDoubleTripleOG is a survivorDoubleTripleOG is a survivor
Also after a disaster like losing a bunch of seeds. I like to try the next few seeds, with seeds that I don't care about that much. That way If I fuck up again, it's not a big deal. With that, comes this : If you do pop seeds you don't care about. Take at least one clone from a "one and done" seed plant before you flower it. I have had several plants I didn't think I was gonna like from seeds I didn't care about. That turned out super awesome, and I regretted not having them backed up.

Photosynthetically active radiation, often abbreviated PAR, designates the spectral range (wave band) of solar radiation from 400 to 700 nanometers that photosynthetic organisms are able to use in the process of photosynthesis.

I am chemically man-made like the Incredible Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangrownkush View Post
He is mad we all have the cut, supposed to be top secret nuclear bomb recipe cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Nirvana View Post
you can't get blood out of a stone.
DoubleTripleOG is offline Quote

Old 06-14-2018, 01:09 AM #18
PaulieWaulie

PaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of light
I was thinking about that today while I was in the garden planning things out. I thought even DT doens't put plants into flower until clones root, I should follow that advice and keep stress levels down. Sometimes I take cuttings at flip, but then they don't make it, so I take another one at week 2, and if they don't make it then I have to reveg, and then I got this big eyesore taking up space for 2 months in my veg space. So yes, I think that is a good rule for me as well. Ive been less worried about keeping my perpetual cycle filled, and more on the actual quality and veg cycle of plants that go in. Quality over Quanity. Shit quanity ends up being a lot of work for little pay. Thats no fun. Ok. End of Rant. Thx dt
PaulieWaulie is online now Quote

Old 06-14-2018, 01:23 AM #19
420somewhere
Hi ho here we go

420somewhere is a survivor420somewhere is a survivor420somewhere is a survivor420somewhere is a survivor420somewhere is a survivor420somewhere is a survivor420somewhere is a survivor420somewhere is a survivor420somewhere is a survivor420somewhere is a survivor420somewhere is a survivor
Cool Recently...

Recently Iíve popped some seeds, in a paper towel, in a shot glass, planted directly in the medium, all of this within the last two months.

The only seeds that didnít go, were a 6 pack of freebies. (They didnít even crack in a shot glass) The other two packs all germinated, also old beans and gifted beans.

Some times you get weak beans, it happens. All of the methods and mediums have worked for me.

A humidity dome is good for clones, although I usually use an Air-Cloner with no dome for clones.

Good Luck

Prop 215 Compliant
420somewhere is offline Quote