Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Botany and Advanced Growing Science > The Lounge : Growers Round Table Discussion Thread

Thread Title Search
The Lounge : Growers Round Table Discussion Thread Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2018, 09:07 PM #331
cannascholar

cannascholar is a jewel in the roughcannascholar is a jewel in the roughcannascholar is a jewel in the roughcannascholar is a jewel in the roughcannascholar is a jewel in the roughcannascholar is a jewel in the rough
Any bad taste experiences with crab late flower? Applied some crab flour today at week 8, will find out soon and share results.
cannascholar is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:09 PM #332
growingcrazy

growingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannascholar View Post
Any bad taste experiences with crab late flower? Applied some crab flour today at week 8, will find out soon and share results.
The oil's in fish hydrolysate can carry the scent over into the produce it used on... I don't think that crab shell meal/flour would do the same. They generally have very little scent in the bag.

Most fish products put right on the label not to apply within 2 weeks of harvest for anything they are used on. I have never had a complaint for fish tasting produce in anyway...and I have on multiple occasions used it within days of harvesting things like romaine and spinach.
My thoughts are that cannabis would/could absorb some scent through foliage if you have a room freshly watered with fish and full of buds close to harvest. Other than that... I don't see it happening through root uptake.

Last edited by growingcrazy; 06-20-2018 at 05:20 PM..
growingcrazy is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:27 PM #333
jidoka

jidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to all
An interesting single experiment.

I took a nutrient solution that I was gonna feed to coco and had chn run a test on it. 30 minutes later ran some distilled water through it and had that tested also

Interestingly Ca and NO3 matched what I put in along with the chelated micros. P, K and Mg basically doubled

I did not expect to see that at all. What does it mean?

Fuck if I know for sure. But I am starting to suspect that Yara Liva is a fucking awesome Ca amendment if you can stand the nitrate
jidoka is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:10 AM #334
MrBungle

MrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud of
Couple questions Jidoka... You tested the formula before it went through the coco or did you collect the run off? and distilled water thru the coco too after the solution?

is this with a custom chelated micros blend or still with STEM?

Also a separate question about supplementing aminos instead of using nitrate for flower... I think I'm ready to give it a go with the ferti nitro... I'm thinking my total N is somewhere around 160 ppm in my nutrient solution, and a tiny amount in my medium from the compost..

What would be a good starter application rate to foliar feed the ferti nitro and how often?
MrBungle is offline Quote

Old 06-27-2018, 05:38 AM #335
jidoka

jidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to alljidoka is a name known to all
Before and the 30 minute pour through.

I use either stem or a custom blend. I would add. A tiny bit of cobalt to stem

So at 160 N I assume good light and close to vpd numbers...yea? CO2? Are you using raw salts?

Anyways a couple of things. With CaNO3 it is easy to get too much Ca into the plant except during stretch. During that time I do not believe in upping CaNO3. The adding drives plant growth so fast Ca ca not keep up. You get stretchy plants and possibly claw

So what I do is spray 6-9 gm of Biomin Ca weekly for 2 weeks

At the end of 2 weeks a couple of things happen. Cell division slows down making Ca less important. It will start to build quickly in the tissue if you don’t cut back.

The 2nd thing that happens is P demand goes up...but not K.

Fortunately nitrate is blocking P uptake. So by dropping cano3 you can solve both those issues. How much I have not worked out exactly but 20% is safe

Now you have a N (or protein) shortage. That is where the aminos come in. You want to use enough to keep them green. I use 9gm/gal 3x a week

Least that is how I do it. Hope that helps

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:16 AM #336
MrBungle

MrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud ofMrBungle has much to be proud of
Good light 1 kw DE... no co2 enrichment... temps are in the low 80s with the lights on RH is 48-52% ... dark time low 70s and haven't looked at dark RH... I don't know which VPD chart to look at and trust...

Am using raw salts, probably too many different ones... I wouldn't mind simplifying my formula at some point...and some ferti organic goodies...

Using peat with crushed oyster shell, EWC, some rock dust, lil bit of crushed crab shell and perlite...

my plants are pretty healthy going through stretch then start to fade week 6-7 I'm hoping spraying them with the ferti-nitro will prevent the fade till a lil later on without affecting the taste.. I'll get some of that biomin Calcium too for earlier on in flower... late veggers probably wouldn't mind a blast of that from time to time either

Many Thanks!!
MrBungle is offline Quote

Old 06-27-2018, 01:42 PM #337
militia420

militia420 is just really nicemilitia420 is just really nicemilitia420 is just really nicemilitia420 is just really nicemilitia420 is just really nicemilitia420 is just really nicemilitia420 is just really nicemilitia420 is just really nicemilitia420 is just really nicemilitia420 is just really nicemilitia420 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jidoka View Post

So at 160 N I assume good light and close to vpd numbers...yea? CO2? Are you using raw salts?

Anyways a couple of things. With CaNO3 it is easy to get too much Ca into the plant except during stretch. During that time I do not believe in upping CaNO3. The adding drives plant growth so fast Ca ca not keep up. You get stretchy plants and possibly claw

At the end of 2 weeks a couple of things happen. Cell division slows down making Ca less important. It will start to build quickly in the tissue if you don’t cut back.

Fortunately nitrate is blocking P uptake. So by dropping cano3 you can solve both those issues. How much I have not worked out exactly but 20% is safe

Now you have a N (or protein) shortage. That is where the aminos come in. You want to use enough to keep them green. I use 9gm/gal 3x a week

I came across this thread trying to find a standard thread on a quick start to foliar feeding, ie: things to put in your sprayer, frequency, timing, etc. Is there any one who can link my dumb ass to such a straight forward thread? I expect there to possibly be a sticky that I just haven't located with the search feature.

I'd greatly appreciate some help on this. My arthritis is killing my hands while hunting for this info.
militia420 is offline Quote

Old 06-27-2018, 02:13 PM #338
bsgospel

bsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
Good light 1 kw DE... no co2 enrichment... temps are in the low 80s with the lights on RH is 48-52% ... dark time low 70s and haven't looked at dark RH... I don't know which VPD chart to look at and trust...
Have you also attempted to calculate VPD on your own? It's been some trouble for me. I can't find an equation to trust. There are a few variations out there all with different coefficients. And no explanation for why they use these coefficients. As far as the charts, most seem to have the same numbers, but some are more relaxed as to what is best for plants overall. I think .8- 1.1 is where we want to be depending on your situation.

Like this one appears in a dopey grow video but also appears in a textbook or two, just no explanation for using these coeffeicients vs. Sonnheim coefficients or any other standards:

VPSat - VPAir = VPD

VPSAT= 610.7 x 10 ^((17.5 x Leaf Temp.)/(237.3 + Leaf Temp))
divided by 1000

VPAIR = [610.7 x 10 ^((17.5 x Air Temp.)/(237.3 + Air Temp.))
divided by 1000] x (Rel. Hum./100)]

Does no one truly know or agree on critical temp points or true boiling points? Why 237 when some use 270 or 243?
bsgospel is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:32 PM #339
growingcrazy

growingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by jidoka View Post

Thank you for contributing such detailed information.

Let me see if I have this straight... The biomin @ 6 grams is 80/240ppm (N/Ca) @9 grams is 120/360 ppm. The ferti-nitro is ~@300 ppm N.
growingcrazy is offline Quote

Old 06-27-2018, 04:01 PM #340
bsgospel

bsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of light
Jidoka- this link is only semi related but I had a thought on your experiment. In this example nitrate absorption had a lag time of an hour. Would you want to try one or two more run through samples at 30 min, 1 hr, & 2 hrs?

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig1_234135793
bsgospel is offline Quote