Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Cannabis Concentrates > help me troubleshoot why my first closed loop run failed.

Thread Title Search
Post Reply
help me troubleshoot why my first closed loop run failed. Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-12-2018, 03:43 PM #11
Douglas.Curtis
Senior Member

Douglas.Curtis's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Back in Colorado! Yaay!
Posts: 2,876
Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
This won't be helpful, but this was the first thing I thought of when I read your thread title.


StemzandSeedz asks: "help me troubleshoot why my first closed loop run failed"
My Reply: You need to use "Budzzzzz"


lol

Tagged and reading to learn. Carry on.
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote



Click to shop for Extractors and Hardware
Old 06-12-2018, 04:59 PM #12
SkyHighLer
Got me a stone bad Mana

SkyHighLer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,383
SkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Bag View Post
Sounds just like my first go, though I had no trouble distilling solvent, which sounds like something you neglected to do, and is rather necessary.
You sure can and must include all hoses when purging your system of atmosphere.
I faced this same dilemma and learned most everything I now know from Gray Wolf and this site (thanks ya'll).
Here, read this:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=352599
One major obstacle we shared was the dewaxing material column. It works too well. It's acting as a cold trap. It needs to be heated... and getting that alcohol/dry ice slurry out of it is ridiculously difficult to recover. I found it impossible, and simply too costly to waste by washing it away with hot water. So I scrapped that method for Gray Wolfs method (explained in the aforementioned link)
I also found passive slow, inefficient, problematic, and most of all costly.
I upgraded to a bidirectional active system utilizing a desiccant dryer (absolutely necessary if reusing solvent. Something BVV didn't tell you, did they?)
My first passive top fill run netted 3.1 grams per ounce (trim) and took from midday to 3am. 😥
My first bidirectional active run took less than 2 hours and netted 5.3 grams per ounce (buds). A lot of that is experience.
I lose about 0.33lbs of solvent because I like to pour off, not scrape off.
If you want to be able to run passively without spending a hundred dollars on dry ice and alcohol every time, trust me, don't fill that dewaxing sleeve with slurry. Instead, pack your column and freeze it. While it's freezing, purge your system. Leave the vacuum pump attached. Quickly assemble your column, open your ball valve and purge the added components. You cannot fill the column with solvent with the ball valve closed unless you have an alternative route for pressure. (like the overflow on bidirectional systems), it needs to be at least cracked.
IMHO spending that much money on a system and running passively is like buying a Ferrari with no motor and pushing it around. Yeah it's a Ferrari, but...

Another method of freezing the material column,


"The Mercurius system features a recovery manifold that is also used as the overflow path when bottom filling. This allows the column to be recovered independently from the collection base. With this plumbing, the user is able to utilize the evaporative cooling properties of the extraction solvents. By injecting a small amount of solvent into a closed material column, slightly wetting the material, then recovering this solvent, the material is frozen once all solvent flips phase. This method, paired with an injection coil, ensures efficient dewaxing happens without excessive dry ice or expensive chilling units."

https://www.bestvaluevacs.com/2lb-mk...very-pump.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 12.46.35 PM.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	459230
__________________
Link won't open?
1. Click on the link.
2. Click in the address bar, and use backspace to remove the s in https.
3. Click on the 'reload this page' icon, or hit the return key.

Best to Worst Canned Butane List
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.ph...6&postcount=28

Cannabis Alchemy by D. Gold
https://calgarycmmc.com/E-books/E%20B...0D.%20Gold.pdf

Hash oil techniques and solvents for non BHO hash oil?
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=338633

Solvents listed as to polarity
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.ph...&postcount=162

The Truth Machine by James L. Halperin (free read provided by the author)
https://coins.ha.com/information/ttm.s

Last edited by SkyHighLer; 06-12-2018 at 09:47 PM..
SkyHighLer is offline Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:49 PM #13
Dirt Bag
Member

Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 166
Dirt Bag is a jewel in the roughDirt Bag is a jewel in the roughDirt Bag is a jewel in the roughDirt Bag is a jewel in the roughDirt Bag is a jewel in the roughDirt Bag is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHighLer View Post
Another method of freezing the material column,


"The Mercurius system features a recovery manifold that is also used as the overflow path when bottom filling. This allows the column to be recovered independently from the collection base. With this plumbing, the user is able to utilize the evaporative cooling properties of the extraction solvents. By injecting a small amount of solvent into a closed material column, slightly wetting the material, then recovering this solvent, the material is frozen once all solvent flips phase. This method, paired with an injection coil, ensures efficient dewaxing happens without excessive dry ice or expensive chilling units."

https://www.bestvaluevacs.com/2lb-mk...very-pump.html
In this image it appears to be configured as a recovery coil, not an injection coil, which is how I have mine configured as well.

Just like room-sized computers have evolved into fingernail-sized chips, somebody needs to miniaturize and combine these components into a single contraption... The iStract or something.
You could just take my money now.

Last edited by Dirt Bag; 06-13-2018 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: Did it wrong.
Dirt Bag is offline Quote


Old 06-13-2018, 11:30 PM #14
stemznseedz
Member

Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 84
stemznseedz will become famous soon enoughstemznseedz will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
What mix are you using?
N Butane
stemznseedz is offline Quote


Old 06-13-2018, 11:32 PM #15
stemznseedz
Member

Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 84
stemznseedz will become famous soon enoughstemznseedz will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepookie View Post
Wait, are you even connected to the diptube feed line on your storage hydrocarbon tank?

Try not putting the tank in dry ice. It's probably something obviously dumb like the above that you're not realizing.
yes I'm positive i wasn't using the vapor outlet.
stemznseedz is offline Quote


Old 06-13-2018, 11:34 PM #16
stemznseedz
Member

Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 84
stemznseedz will become famous soon enoughstemznseedz will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Bag View Post
Sounds just like my first go, though I had no trouble distilling solvent, which sounds like something you neglected to do, and is rather necessary.
You sure can and must include all hoses when purging your system of atmosphere.
I faced this same dilemma and learned most everything I now know from Gray Wolf and this site (thanks ya'll).
Here, read this:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=352599
One major obstacle we shared was the dewaxing material column. It works too well. It's acting as a cold trap. It needs to be heated... and getting that alcohol/dry ice slurry out of it is ridiculously difficult to recover. I found it impossible, and simply too costly to waste by washing it away with hot water. So I scrapped that method for Gray Wolfs method (explained in the aforementioned link)
I also found passive slow, inefficient, problematic, and most of all costly.
I upgraded to a bidirectional active system utilizing a desiccant dryer (absolutely necessary if reusing solvent. Something BVV didn't tell you, did they?)
My first passive top fill run netted 3.1 grams per ounce (trim) and took from midday to 3am. 😥
My first bidirectional active run took less than 2 hours and netted 5.3 grams per ounce (buds). A lot of that is experience.
I lose about 0.33lbs of solvent because I like to pour off, not scrape off.
If you want to be able to run passively without spending a hundred dollars on dry ice and alcohol every time, trust me, don't fill that dewaxing sleeve with slurry. Instead, pack your column and freeze it. While it's freezing, purge your system. Leave the vacuum pump attached. Quickly assemble your column, open your ball valve and purge the added components. You cannot fill the column with solvent with the ball valve closed unless you have an alternative route for pressure. (like the overflow on bidirectional systems), it needs to be at least cracked.
IMHO spending that much money on a system and running passively is like buying a Ferrari with no motor and pushing it around. Yeah it's a Ferrari, but...

Thanks for the info Dirtbag. I'm going to go through that thread now. I've left it alone since my first run just so I could get some input before wasting another lb of material. check your pm's I sent you one awhile ago.
stemznseedz is offline Quote


Old 06-14-2018, 12:05 PM #17
Gray Wolf
A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.


Gray Wolf's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: River City, USA
Posts: 9,548
Gray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by stemznseedz View Post
N Butane

If you are using straight N-Butane, as DB notes, entrapped air could be an issue. Can you vacuum your entire system, including the hoses in one shot?


I recommend that you first do a pre-distillation run, to remove mystery oil.
__________________
An age is called Dark not because the light fails to shine, but because people refuse to see it.

Believing is seeing and ignorance is bliss until it bites you in the ass!

Fervor is the weapon of the impotent. The harder the sell, the poorer the product.

Alas, my ignorance abounds; the more I've learned, the less I know that I know..........

Thou shalt seek and respect the opinions of operators, even unto the third helper, for theirs is a wisdom unknown to technicrats.

Wise men learn more from fools, than fools from wise men.

In my dotage I finally discovered that the secret to putting on pants both legs at a time is sitting down.

Last edited by Gray Wolf; 06-14-2018 at 12:20 PM..
Gray Wolf is offline Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:39 PM #18
Dirt Bag
Member

Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 166
Dirt Bag is a jewel in the roughDirt Bag is a jewel in the roughDirt Bag is a jewel in the roughDirt Bag is a jewel in the roughDirt Bag is a jewel in the roughDirt Bag is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by stemznseedz View Post
Thanks for the info Dirtbag. I'm going to go through that thread now. I've left it alone since my first run just so I could get some input before wasting another lb of material. check your pm's I sent you one awhile ago.
Inbox is empty. /shrug
I probably have something turned off or a setting wrong. Forums are not my bag.
Dirt Bag is offline Quote


Old 06-14-2018, 09:48 PM #19
SkyHighLer
Got me a stone bad Mana

SkyHighLer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,383
SkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Bag View Post
Inbox is empty. /shrug
I probably have something turned off or a setting wrong. Forums are not my bag.

You only have 37 posts, when you get to fifty you can edit your posts, and send and receive private messages.
__________________
Link won't open?
1. Click on the link.
2. Click in the address bar, and use backspace to remove the s in https.
3. Click on the 'reload this page' icon, or hit the return key.

Best to Worst Canned Butane List
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.ph...6&postcount=28

Cannabis Alchemy by D. Gold
https://calgarycmmc.com/E-books/E%20B...0D.%20Gold.pdf

Hash oil techniques and solvents for non BHO hash oil?
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=338633

Solvents listed as to polarity
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.ph...&postcount=162

The Truth Machine by James L. Halperin (free read provided by the author)
https://coins.ha.com/information/ttm.s
SkyHighLer is offline Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:28 PM #20
stemznseedz
Member

Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 84
stemznseedz will become famous soon enoughstemznseedz will become famous soon enough
Thanks for all the help fam my following runs went smoothly and the product came out way better. I've got the hang of it now. Only a few minor details to still figure out and everything will be running smoothly as can be!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	35922714_10216561922790525_6932192527025963008_n (1).jpg
Views:	49
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	460225
stemznseedz is offline Quote


2 members found this post helpful.

Post Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:26 PM.




This site is for educational and entertainment purposes only.
You must be of legal age to view ICmag and participate here.
All postings are the responsibility of their authors.
Powered by: vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.