What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

spider mites in late flower

lotus710

im having the same problem right meow:( i cut off the branch that was infested can i find tangle foot at walmart?

bellcat

HI EVERYONE. Cathy here. Just joined. This is my first attempt to grow. Looks like the trichs were getting milky on about 4 of my 6 plants. The one that is least ready (but getting close) seems to have the least number of spider mites. In fact only one had webs on the top on the bud. That one and 2 others are now beginning the drying and are somewhat trimmed (sugar leaves still on.) Been drying those for only one day so far. Many questions. The main one is, should I let the mites go to the top of the stem while hanging and will they really all go up there and stay there? I heard that putting in fridge for three hours will kill them but then they won't be able to walk away from the buds but if I don't kill them will they multiply into many more? Will the eggs die in the fridge? How soon during the drying can/should I put them into paper bags. I didn't have a dark place to dry them since my closet is still going to have another week or so of 12/12 lighting so I thought it might be okay to, after hanging them up side down to slip a big paper bag up over them and attach bag to line with clothe pins to keep them in the dark but would that hold in too much moisture. I have a wood stove so humidity is pretty low. Also I just gave the soil one good flush because after spotting the spider mites I felt I needed to harvest as soon as possible. Hope that'll be okay. Sorry for so many questions

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You will need to wipe the mites from the stem tips, they wont stay.

Check out the harvesting/curing subforum for more specific advice. I wait to destalk when most of the stems are hard and the flower dry to the touch, but resistant to a pinch (internal moisture).

Slowing the dry down would be ideal with a light flush.

bellcat

you say the mites won't stay at the top but will they go back down to the bud? I'm feeling that even though one of my plants have mostly clear trichs that I should just harvest anyway so the mites don't multiply. Plus then I can just hang all the plants to dry in the closest. Okay idea or baaaaad?
Thanks for your help. It's been fun but am afraid to see what my electric bill will be.