What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

spider mites in late flower

will spraying with water do any good?? will it hurt?

should I do anything different while drying to stop them?

Will they continue to try and live while i am drying?

DickAnubis

Yes, spider mites are insidious and will keep going until you kill them.
Kind of awful to say but death is the only option.
Water will do no good.
Some say dish detergent in water but I haven't had much success with that.
Insecticidal soap or neem work.
Neem smells and leaves a residue.
Insecticidal soaps are available in the big box stores and there are organic ones that are veggie/fruit safe.

There may be other solutions and someone may chime in, but I have rid my plants of spider mites with one application of insecticidal soap.

good luck

You can try and knock them down a little with a vacuum, just suck em right off the plants. This won't solve the problem though, only way to completely rid of them is with a pesticide. Even with that it is hard to completely rid them from a grow with out breaking down the whole room and cleaning it top to bottom before you put fresh girls in

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Spray with H2O2 in the morning so thee is plenty of light to dry the dampness

A couple treatments should do the trick

You need to get their eggs too

Weedninja

Spray with H2O2 in the morning so thee is plenty of light to dry the dampness

A couple treatments should do the trick

You need to get their eggs too

I don't think I've ever heard of that one. What do you use, just straight 3% peroxide?

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't think I've ever heard of that one. What do you use, just straight 3% peroxide?

Yep

It burns them up, and leaves harmless H2O residue

I buy ~ 30% at Beauty supply and dilute ~ 5-10% for cleaning or killing

Mix ~ 1:10 H2O

35% Food Grade ($$$) mix 1:11

Kaskadian

Veteran
I'm sorry to hear about the mites late in flower. Sanitize your grow area and start over brother; it happens to all of us at some point.

DickAnubis

PetFlora,
That's a great solution. I never heard of it but next time , which I hope doesn't happen, I'm going to use it. I keep a quart of food grade in the frig.
Lumberjack sorry to hear you pulled it down. Well, might as well do a thorough cleaning then.
Better luck next round.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
PetFlora,
That's a great solution. I never heard of it but next time , which I hope doesn't happen, I'm going to use it. I keep a quart of food grade in the frig.
Lumberjack sorry to hear you pulled it down. Well, might as well do a thorough cleaning then.
Better luck next round.

Then I am hopeful you know to be very careful as food grade (unbuffered) h2o2 will burn the crap out of skin, clothes, carpet...

yea, thanks, I think the change of seasons got me... I wasnt watching as close as I should and havent been treating with neem. I had light outbreaks last summer as well. I think it is a pretty prevalent problem here in CO. but all and all things look great, and i would rather inhale a few webs than avid.

ive got a sprayer hook up to the water coming out of the back of my toilet tank.the sprayer is right next to my tub so i take plants and put them in the tub bend the foliage/plant over side of container so i dont get water in soil and spray the shit out of them.this can be done as many times as you want or think is effective.make sure you spray the undersides of the leaves /plant /buds.i dont think this does anything for the eggs but it def gets rid of the adults and thge big kids.

L

larry badiner

i may be a crappy grower or something but if they've already made a noticeable infestation then its time to throw away whatever you have and spray everything with 10:1 water:clorox, which, from my experience, is a fucking bitch, but its the only way completely get rid of spider mites in the grow room.. if you don't deal with them now they'll keep coming back, trust me

DickAnubis

PF,
Yeah gotta be careful with foodgrade H2O2. I've been using for medical reasons for years.
Dillution is a must.
Luckily if you get it on your skin the burn fades without scarring uless something terrible happens.
Clothes of course are a different story. Ruined many a shirt.

Lumber, sounds like you've got a plan. I've been lucky as of late or I've been getting the controls on my cabs right. So no infestations, knock wood.

Dominion Organics Mantis BE Insecticide/Compost Tea - what I use in my tents, seems to work well... but I found two leaves out of the whole canopy with visible mites/eggs. Pretty sure they were just sticking around from the last outbreak. I haven't been able to find any mites since following instructions on the bottle/website. But I'm paranoid and trying to prevent having to make a post like yours... that late in flower... I'm at day 18 right now so I wasn't worried about spraying. Dunno about your vent/circ/humidity situation, spraying may just get rid of your mites, but bring mould...

I've been spraying it about 1 hr before lights on, with all fans running to dry the plants fairly quickly but without scorching by the lights. I haven't had many mould issues, just a leaf tip here or there down way low on the canopy, which get removed once every 2-4 days, but back to my paranoia, I'll be buying two more fans today cause I'm still having moisture "pockets" at some points in my canopy. JUST IN CASE!

Mantis is made in PNW. Helps give back what the mites took from your plants, while killing them all!!! Also works for powdery mildew and wetting agent.

-Kweku

Budley Doright

Veteran
I havent had spider mites in awhile..... years....

One thing you could have considered ....depending on the size of the plants....

Spider mites drown pretty easily.....

Put the plant underwater for 30 minutes or so will kill the vast majority of them....if not all......

I dont know about eggs........

This does not work for fungus gnats.... the larvae are really good at swimming / holding their breath......

Spider mites on the other hand are not good at swimming at all....

lol......

Last edited:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
PF,
Yeah gotta be careful with foodgrade H2O2. I've been using for medical reasons for years.
Dillution is a must.
Luckily if you get it on your skin the burn fades without scarring uless something terrible happens.
Clothes of course are a different story. Ruined many a shirt.

Lumber, sounds like you've got a plan. I've been lucky as of late or I've been getting the controls on my cabs right. So no infestations, knock wood.

Didn't I say that?

One cheap organic fix for spider mites that I will put money on is worm tea and lacto. I hand water as well as foliar with the stuff and wash off treatment. Wetting the leaves with water will slow em down as well. Heat....they don't like so much either. Azatrol will knockem back as a systemic but leaves a detectable bitter flavor in the medicine if you are not attentive.
After hervest though they will leave the branches or but to where they were cut and scavenge for nectar and fluids and cannabalize each other untill the plants branch or bud is no longer vascularly alive and the living mites leave the flower to look for another host before laying eggs and dying. These things are nothing, you'll be ok, I've seen mites get destroyed after lacto and worm tea granted it was a rols run I never forgot what I was witnessing!

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you're drying what you've chopped, a bit of Tanglefoot on the highest points (mites habitually travel to the high ground), will trap a lot of mites.