What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Homemade Reflector

G

^Bump^

I am trying to get started and having sticky instructions like this would be INVALUABLE for noobs.

bongkong

I used to chat on OG ALL THE TIME. I know for a FACT that the first few pictures in this original post were made by a dude named TICK or TIC. The title of the original thread on OG was called something like "TICK BENDS A CMEMORY REFLECTOR."

G

The thing to remember when making reflector/hoods is the depth determines your light spread.A deeper hood tends to shine the light more stright downward,I like these for veg when the plants are less spread out.A shallower hood disperses the light to a wider area,I like these for flower when the plants are more spread out.A good example of a shallow flowering hood is the vertizontal

G

SKELETOR said:
The thing to remember when making reflector/hoods is the depth determines your light spread.A deeper hood tends to shine the light more stright downward,I like these for veg when the plants are less spread out.A shallower hood disperses the light to a wider area,I like these for flower when the plants are more spread out.A good example of a shallow flowering hood is the vertizontal

If you had to go with one hood would you suggest the batwing or diamond shaped for veg and flower?

How about some way to hold two halves stably that can be swung and have something to tighten down to hold after adjusting?

Last edited:

akuira

anybody have good experience using say spray adhesive to hold the mylar? imho unless your going to shell out the money for a good piece of sheet metal, the mylar is a must... the white paint just doesn't seem to be enough. however im not lookin to burn down the place either, any good or bad experiences appreciated

Gunnarguchi

ICMag Donor
Veteran
this is a very good thread thats going to save me some money
im getting an original Adjust A wing and an AAW replica for comparisons but the rest of the reflectors for my grow im going to make inspired from this thread using the AAW's as models

i have both some aluminium and some thicker pure Zinc from my work as a craftsman and as they are used on roof work they are already bend on the middle making it even work for me

ill post some pics when i start that project

btw about that spray glue

any experiences on how far away the bulb has to be to use mylar ?

im planning to use them on 400 watt bulbs both hps and mh but might upgrade to 600 watt bulbs later

Good DIY. I wasn't aware people found mylar to be highly flammable. I'll keep this in mind while I bump this thread right now

I'm not sure where the thread is exactly (not on this site tho I don't think)...but there was info on a grow tunnel design where the flexed plywood roof was the reflector for the bulb...400w only inches away from it...and mylar was glued to the wood. He used thinned glue and rolled it out to apply the glue and mylar. He didn't use spray glue only cuz of the overspray if I recall.

mas9779

umm. why dont you just spend $5 for a tube of metal polish and shine up the metal to a mirror finnish instead of risking fire? or go even more ghetto ass on it and use ketchup to polish it to at least the same as mylar. the vinegar in the ketchup allows it to work great as a ghetto polish.

mas9779

ohh... and dont use zinc metal like the one guy talks about. when zinc heats up the fumes are toxic. if anyone trys this like i plan to, use aluminum or steal only.

Latest posts

Latest posts