What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Collecting, Storing, and Mailing Pollen

Blazeee

Veteran
So should I thaw the frozen pollen prior to use or just use it straight out of the freezer?

I have also been curious about this.

Ive got some pollen stored that is nearly 2 years old now. When I harvested it, I made sure to dry it out for a day, cut it with flower, added some grains of rice, then separated it in to 5 individual plastic seed vials, I have 4 in the freezer and 1 left in the fridge.

I sent a vial from the freezer to a friend last year, however he waited a few days before using it, and sprayed his plants down less than 24 hours after pollination, from what he said he didnt get any seeds from it. I suspect this is due to him waiting a few days before using it.

Im just wondering what are the chances it is still viable, and would I be ok to use it immediately out of the freezer? Also what about the vial in the fridge, what are the chances that its still viable after 2 years?

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
If a male is placed in a tent and allowed to open pollinate the room, how long will that pollen remain viable once he is removed? A few days or weeks? Any idea?

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Good question, and I will be scrubbing my tent, lights, washing the outer filter cover, maybe stir up the SIP bed perlite. Washing the fan blades, net...

What'da you make? I have some SKOHLP going. Wanna run some?

Stonerbudz

Appreciate the information on what you do to get the best results out of your pollen I’ll take some of your tricks and use them in the future forsure :)

IamN2pot

I have also been curious about this.

Ive got some pollen stored that is nearly 2 years old now. When I harvested it, I made sure to dry it out for a day, cut it with flower, added some grains of rice, then separated it in to 5 individual plastic seed vials, I have 4 in the freezer and 1 left in the fridge.

I sent a vial from the freezer to a friend last year, however he waited a few days before using it, and sprayed his plants down less than 24 hours after pollination, from what he said he didnt get any seeds from it. I suspect this is due to him waiting a few days before using it.

Im just wondering what are the chances it is still viable, and would I be ok to use it immediately out of the freezer? Also what about the vial in the fridge, what are the chances that its still viable after 2 years?
Moisture is your pollen's worst enemy. If you remove it from the freezer and mmediately open it, condensation will form on the pollen and damp pollen will die very quickly. Please wait for the packet to warm to room temp before opening it to use it.
Keep seeding.