What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Sun On-Demand™

Hm, 100,000 hrs (claimed), almost 6000 kelvin... are they induction lights?

I'm not sure of the technology behind the lamp other than the specs that are given on the website. There's a few youtube vid's as well. One guy said it made a huge difference for his med clients. The flavours and overall expression of the plants was noticeably better....and the end product was better too. This is the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6nXceSIv8I

JKD

Veteran
Looks like it might be a 1300W plasma. Pre Gavita Light Emitting Plasma and Ceravision High Efficiency Plasma there was a 1300w High Intensity Plasma; I wonder if this is an improved version. I think the original sulphur plasma suppliers went belly up before they got the kinks out of their product.

Last edited:

SuperBadGrower

I think Gavita has a better idea... supplement HPS with plasma and you can get almost the same ultra high CRI results

A 3000K CMH spectrum looks just as good/better to be honest. But yeah if they gave me them for free I would replace all my lights in a heartbeat if I had the ceiling height for them.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
When I emailed them they said one fixture would replace 4 or 5 1000 watt lights and improve yield and quality. Bold claims. But intrigued enough to want to learn more.

Horselover Fat

Veteran
I roll with Philips lamps. But I'd like to try Plasma.

Light is food for plants, so the quality of the light is more important than people think, I think.

I think quantity trumps quality. Anyway they don't even tell what technology they use. They just claim it's twice as efficient as leds... sure...

SuperBadGrower

Heh. And nowhere on the internet is the cost of one of those lights mentioned. They claim that you win the money back on power savings. Heard that before. I guess thats why you need to call them, they need to use psychology tricks to get people to buy it.

It's confusing. All they say is that they have a "PPFD of 2000 and higher", somehow the light covers 100 sqft.

Lets see...
So either we have 1300 W fixture giving 18600 PPF (that's how much PPF you need to achieve 2000 PPFD in 10x10) or a 2000 PPF fixture giving 225 PPFD in 10x10.

The first case is a 14.3 µmol/j lamp. The best leds today are scratching 3.0 µmol/j

Or, it is a 2000 PPF fixture, with 1300 watts used, which comes down to 1.5 µmol/j

Yep! that'll do a great job barely vegging your 10x10 for, hmm, $2000 - $4000?

Last edited:

Horselover Fat

Veteran

Yeah, thougt as much. I found more information. Apparently two of their 1300w lights are as good as atleast fifteen 1000w hps lights. Sign me up for some of that :biglaugh:

"Our Sun On-Demand plasma systems convert 75% of the electricity they use into pure sunlight. They do this so well and so uniformly that two 1300W lamps can cover up to a 225 sq. ft. area evenly. You would need at least fifteen HID lamps (each 1000W) to cover the same space."

JKD

Veteran
Sulphur plasma is very efficient, that is true. Unless there’s been recent breakthroughs they hadn’t solved all the problems (replacement of the magnetron earlier or at the same time as the lamp). Most of the numbers they quote are the same as the original 1300w release, so not sure there. Almost $4k per complete fixture that needs replacing at 100000 hours (their number). I had read 65000 was the limit, improved from 35000 with the older technology.

Last edited:

JKD

Veteran
If you look up commercial plasma installs their replacement numbers don’t seem as outrageous. I think NASA tried them 15 years ago and replaced a heap of hps. They needed light pipes to distribute it though, and it has a green tinge unless other additives are put in with the sulphur. But no-one had been (maybe until now) able to make them economical. Perhaps bright enough to replace hps as workplace light, not so much the demands of our garden favourites as per SuperBads figures.

Last edited:

Horselover Fat

Veteran
https://www.azentive.com/specifications/

PPFD 2,000 Micromoles/s/m2 at one meter from light.

So it's on par with a 1k de hps. That ain't bad. I wish they just told it like that, but all the bs makes them seem very shady.

So a 1.3kw light does 2000umol, like a 1kw de hps, but you need 15 1kw (se?) lights to match up to it. And also one light is enough to flower 21m^2 using two additional 600w hps. That is interesting.

SuperBadGrower

Yeah lovely stuff but it's a bit extreme.

Anyway, yesterday when I saw that video with the guy who talks about the lights he seems to be pointing over to somewhere. My guess is that he is pointing to a greenhouse full of weed with supplemental lights and maybe light deprivation setup. Consider that:

1. ~225 ppfd is probably perfect for supplementary lighting
2. Supplemental HPS is #1 in greenhouse all over the world, more specifically, probably 600W SE
3. I havent seen any greenhouse hanging HPS at the same height as weed growers do, they hang them high and let them overlap. I'm not sure but they seem to use much more of them per area than weed growers. I could be wrong ...

Maybe the markteting puzzle pieced together. In this context their claims can become true. Buying these also looks like a pretty good way to reduce your taxable income once you are loaded from getting into legal weed at the right time. I'm rich, there's a 99 CRI light that lasts 50k hours, sure I'll take it.

JKD

Veteran
I think Gavitas DE is 2100 at source and 1000 at 3 feet, if so it does have a bit more grunt.

But I don’t know why I keep commenting - I’m not going to buy one.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
IIRC this is a technology that I was told would replace LED and if the information is correct was developed by the someone who was involved in LED development