What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

H3ad goes Coco

swampdank

Pull my finger
Veteran
wow! very informative. i guess a ph kit needs to go on to my list. it is very difficult for me to abandon my organic ways but i will. when it come to cultivation, i try to keep an open mind. i do not doubt that mastering coco/GH will give me results that surpass my organic results. h3ad has made a convincing point and my personal resarch (so far) has backed him up.

thanks for the info. now if i can just get a few packs of h3ad seeds to explore with. hehe. take it easy fellas.

Sir D

How did you get these numbers

How did you get these numbers

So... when I was using a modified lucas formula... my nutrient profile when growing in promix was:
N 130
P 93
K 163
Mg 64
S 43
Ca 130

By mixing 8ml/gal micro and 14ml/gal bloom and watering with plain water every other watering...

In the coco, I am now using 6ml/gal micro and 9ml/gal bloom which gives the nute profile:
N 97
P 60
K 105
Mg 41
S 27
Ca 97

adding 1 g/gal epsom salts to the solution changes the numbers for mg and s to:
Mg 67
S 61

Im trying to figure out how you got these numbers. Im using floranova bloom 4-8-7 at 600ppm and want to know how much of each individual nute I am using. Is there a chart someone can direct me too would be much appreciated thanks.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
I come up with roughly
N 106
P 92
K 154
Mg 53
Ca 106
S 53

That doesn't add up to quite 600ppm, but there are other things in the solution...

The 600 is, I assume, measured with a meter?

You using how many ml/gallon 10 ish?

Last edited:

Sir D

my water is just under 100ppm and I was using 23ml of the bloom for 5 gal and 30 ml of the nectar. I do use a meter yes and it actually runs close to 900 now with that formula that i just gave. I am running strait coco sitting on top of lava rocks if this makes any difference. Im thinking about trying your recipe on this or do you think my lack of perlite might change things? oh and my ph is between 6 & 6.5

micko-uk

Hiya all,
Hoped we would have heard a bit more from you grat 3/3 by now to bring us up to date i know your a busy man but we ( i need it) lol.
More info I'm trying 6 & 9 OK in veg but started
to go a bit pale in flower so i added 15% tap water to r/o water to give me 0.2 EC then upped it to 700 ppm with 6 & 9 the girls look fucking great you know your nutes. I am normally @ twice this, so i am loving it ,,,good plants, low nutes,,,what more can you want. Only need to know should i up the nutes abit with co2 or make sure the res stays @ around 600 ppm until a 1/3 into flower ta MICKO-uk.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Yeah, running co2 you could up the concentration a bit to take full advantage of the xtra carbon, no worries... You'll have to trial and error how much to increase it, though...

Hey whats up the ratios in this formula of elemental PPM were figured out by Lucas' mentor on the old c-w you can find the calculator that pH's formula (same as Lucas) was developed on @ cannastats peace!

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Grat3fulh3ad said:
So many people think you need to supplement Ca because their ratio's are out of balance... My tap water is 6.5 ph and 38-44 ppm with very little, if any, Ca in it at all, and I have NEVER had Ca issues... coco does not need Ca!

I stand by that statement. Ca is a readily avaible substance in most waters and nutrients and in most cases does not need to be supplemented.

Most coco coirs have been chemically treated to satisfy the Cation Exchange Capacity (cations are positively charged ions, such as Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium and Potassium) of the growing media. This means that the growing media will hold these ions in a matrix, releasing them as they're assimilated by the plants. The thing is, until the cation exchange capacity of the growing media is filled, the growing media can hold positively charged nutrient ions - primarily calcium - in reserve, making them less available to the roots. Still, the CEC of the coir media is quickly filled, and actually assists calcium absorption in the flower cycle. Which is why supplementing Ca or Mg IF NEEDED is a good thing during the first week of growth, but unnecessary thereafter. So the whole point of special coco nutrients (reinforced with Ca and Mg, with lower levels of N) is dubious.

I've grown in 100% coco coir for a while now, using GH 3 part, Biobizz organic nutrients, Canna coco A/B and Monkey Juice, without noticing any whatsoever superiority in the special coco nutes.

Hey GH :wave: ,im makin the switch slowley.I just ordered my first Coco medium.Had to order it cuz nowhere around me has any,But get this,the store i get my stuff at has a full 2 lines of Coco Nutes :bashhead: .So i picked up the Hesi line,anyone use it or heard of it and any comments?Makin the gradual switch because of this thread Bro :headbange ,always lookin for the best.I do ok now,but could always do better,imo.Heres the Coco i grabbed. :wave: Peace and stay safe,DancesWithWeed :wave: Botanicare Cocogro Premium Organic Soilless Grow Media: 5 Kilogr for $14

American Agritech has sourced the worlds most premium coir fiber. Cocogro has a very low salt content that is available in double-sieved long fibers to reduce dust and give ample space within the mix.

Cocogro has excellent drainage properties and can be used over a longer period of time than coir fiber with shorter fibers. With longer fibers and reduced dust, growers will experience an optimal air to water ratio, which is vital for strong root development.

Cocogro is unique because it is not chemically treated like other coir fibers on the market. Cocogro is a superior coir fiber because it is aged a minimum of 18 months and has finished its decomposition stage. In addition, Cocogro passes through at least three monsoon seasons, which naturally washes away harmful salts out of the final product. Most other coir fibers are only 4 to 5 months old and have excessive potassium and salts and thus have to be chemically treated.

* 100% organic coir fiber
* Optimum air to water ratio
* Superior plant yields versus conventional potting soil
* Flushed of excess sodium
:rasta: Total Newb divin in h3ad first,lol. :headbange

Last edited:
A

alegoblin

Head have been coco for a few grows and am using GH as well.What I had left after switch.Was pleased to see your forum and learned much from it.I have been watering with plain phed water every other watering and following your grow fairly closely this time.I am having a couple of issues,wondered if you can help.Day 20 and I am having yellowing leaves on bottom 2 nodes /yellowing from inside out between veins.Also on these few plants I have a water take up problem.All the other plants have used water and the pots lighten up nicely.With the exception of these few yellowing girls.Got any ideas.Thought something going on with the roots?New coco this go around and I am in 3 gallon pots.All the other plants look great.Even the top growth /new growth on yellowing girls looks great.Have had yellowing down low but not to this degree?

Hella Fella

You guys are getting WAAAAAY to analytical with your "nutrient formulations"

I have a pH meter and a PPM meter, i havent picked them up in years, in fact the batteries are prolly dead.... And I measure my nutrients by the glug {~100ml a glug :p}

But, magically my weed comes out BOMB, I dont understand why ppl micromanage so much?

Edit: Oh yeah, I dont flush either... and my weed burns to a fine white powder!

You can sell your soul to the devil also, hes usually hanging out in Anahiem looking for douchebags @ the Angels game...

Last edited:

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
lol... who said I use meters?... I use a liquid measure, and did a bit of math ahead of time... Not being too analytical at all, just using the least required amount of nutrient, helping to reduce my environmental impact and reduce the number of potential nutrient problems...

Glugs are fine if they work for you... but I'd bet you were using meters when you determined the right number of glugs... Also... Mixing larger batches of nutrients with 'general measurements' like glugs is fine, but for smaller gardens where only a bit of nutrient is mixed at once, proper measure is quite important...

Hella Fella

Werd...... Sadly I was reffering to Sir D tho....

Theres WAY to much math in that "Lucas formula" nonsense for the average stoner to deal with...

Nope, never a meter.... just a measuring cup! Follow the DIRECTIONS ON THE BOTTLE, it WILL work, I promise...!

My thread n posts says it all...

I can see that, less room for error in a smaller batch, My rez's are 50 gal, you?

I love how you [we] are sucking down gobs of fossil fuel generated kW and then you try and cut back on nutrients to "reduce your footprint".... LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Im not talking shit, i just REALLLY think its ironic...

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Hella Fella said:
Werd...... Sadly I was reffering to Sir D tho....

Theres WAY to much math in that "Lucas formula" nonsense for the average stoner to deal with...
No there is not... Multiply the number of gallons in your reservoir by 6, and add that many ml of micro... Multiply the number of gallons By 9, and add that many ml of bloom...

How in the world is that too much math?

Now... we can use math to explain why it is a BETTER formula than simple instruction following... And if the math is over your head, Forget the explanation and just use it because it works...
Nope, never a meter.... just a measuring cup! Follow the DIRECTIONS ON THE BOTTLE, it WILL work, I promise...!
There is a world of difference in "it will work" and "Optimum ratios to maximize the plants natural processes while maintaining as little environmental impact as possible...

Lol... The instructions are not necessarily written around producing the best product... One might even go so far as to say that Following the instructions will always give you an over-concentrated solution... But hey, nute sales are better that way, so we'll let them slide...

trust me FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS IN MY POSTS IN THIS THREAD, and it will produce superior product...
My thread n posts says it all...
It says alot about your opinion, but in no way says it all... Your post is wrong on several counts... Especially about flushing... I guarantee my methods will produce superior herb to the methods you espouse...
I can see that, less room for error in a smaller batch, My rez's are 50 gal, you?
Though my personal reservoir size is absolutely as irrelevant as yours is, I use a 30 and two twenty's... But others might mix as little as one gallon of nute at time, and methods should broadly applicable before being pushed as the way to do things...
I love how you [we] are sucking down gobs of fossil fuel generated kW and then you try and cut back on nutrients to "reduce your footprint".... LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Im not talking shit, i just REALLLY think its ironic...
Yes you are talking shit... what's ironic about controlling the things which can easily be controlled to reduce my footprint?

You think that just because one aspect of what I(we) do has an impact on the environment, I should do nothing to minimize the impact in other areas?

Oh well, I've damaged the environment a bit, so everything I try to do to reduce impact in other areas is moot?

Give me a break...

Now... If you don't care to learn anything about plant growth beyond, lol, bottle direction following... Then this thread is not for you...

This thread is not for you to argue "what all else works to some degree"...
It is for people with an interest in plant nutrition, and with basic math skills, to learn a very easy/cost effective/'high quality product producing" coco growing method using the most widely available hydroponic nutrient line on the market...

If you don't have anything to contribute on that topic, and instead only want to argue about what I've said or the facts being discussed, then I invite you to start a thread detailing your gardening methods...

Hella Fella

Lol, woah....you really took me to heart! You sure the end-all, be-all of informative sources huh?

Wow, you really put your heart into that!

I'll make sure to just WATCH the Greatful Head show instead of saying anything!

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Hella Fella said:
You guys are getting WAAAAAY to analytical with your "nutrient formulations"

I have a pH meter and a PPM meter, i havent picked them up in years, in fact the batteries are prolly dead.... And I measure my nutrients by the glug {~100ml a glug :p}

But, magically my weed comes out BOMB, I dont understand why ppl micromanage so much?

Edit: Oh yeah, I dont flush either... and my weed burns to a fine white powder!

You can sell your soul to the devil also, hes usually hanging out in Anahiem looking for douchebags @ the Angels game...

One of your "glugs" is about the same amount of nutes as I use in a month. Using knowledge gained from Lucas formula, this thread, and a few others on the same topic, my plants went from looking like an just ok to looking amazing. No more yellowing falling off lower leaves, everything is lush green and incredibly healthy. When you're only growing enough plants for personal supply, it makes a big difference.

And the math? Really? You can set up an indoor garden but you can't do a little multiplication? :badday:

Recirc coco drip with GH nutes is working great for me! :rasta:

Here's how I'm feeding them...
11908Feeding.GIF
I'll be switching the reservoir over to 4th week nutes tomorrow.

Last edited:

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
LOL, hella... not end-all, be-all by any means...
Experienced, educated, and accomplished... sure...

Look... I've grown the same cuttings using a variety of methods... I've grown the same cuttings with and without a flush, and there is a very noticeable difference... I'm sorry that it upsets you to be pointed out as wrong...

BTW, I put my heart into everything I do... since anything worth doing, is worth the little bit of extra effort (or MATH) it takes, to do it the best way it can be done...

As far as your very smart ass comment about the Grateful Head Show... LMAO... don't be so bitter... This is the "Head goes Coco thread" after all, a thread about How I grow in coco, which kind of automatically makes it MY SHOW...

G

LOL, hella... not end-all, be-all by any means...
Experienced, educated, and accomplished... sure...

LOL and my dick is 20'' long!!! LMAO!!

You give me a formula to use, and yet it still doesn't work with the the water I use. YET, you tell me to add more Epsom to magically fix my problems? Explain to me why this thread is stickied?

BTW, I put my heart into everything I do... since anything worth doing, is worth the little bit of extra effort (or MATH) it takes, to do it the best way it can be done...

Your math skills suck, or else you would have given me a proper answer as to why your GH formula blows :muahaha: How many credits do you have Head?

Just because you are an ICMag capitalist gives you absoulutely no right to demean people.

Last edited:

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Indica Sativa - I don't think the problem is with the formula, sounds like user error to me. h3ad hasn't demeaned anyone, you're the most negative person in this thread. The formula h3ad advises works great, both in theory and in application. Can you prove me wrong? Because I can prove you wrong. Look at h3ads pics. Those don't look like unhealthy plants.

Here's mine, they look pretty healthy to me so far.

How do yours look? :spank: