Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Botany and Advanced Growing Science > Green Diarrhe

Thread Title Search
Green Diarrhe Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-2019, 11:33 PM #1
f-e

f-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nice
Green Diarrhe

I'm doing a green light experiment. Just green. No blue, red or far red messages for the plants. Just a colour that others like myself have used many times for night illumination.

I once had a green led on an negative ion generator 24/7, that had a bud beside it develop extraordinarily well. Then put 100 leds in to try again, and it did nothing.

The PAR charts we see show green works at perhaps 30% the efficiency of red or blue. I'm not sure if these charts are the nasa research that just used monochrome light. Or full spectrum with bands of interest increased. Plus the charts are not our plants anyway. I want to start again myself, with the right plant. Just green light this time.

So, I have a cutting taken a week into flower. Rooted and vegged a little while. Still at 3 blades like early veg. It should express flowers quickly, if it chose to. Or carry on it's veg cycle. Or keel over. All within the next week.

The hardware involved is a 20w green led, on a cpu cooler, in an aptly named 'bud box'

The chip

The plant

The group shot

The bud box

The story starts here

Place your bets now! Will the 20w work like a 7w as the charts suggest, or will something canna specific come to light
f-e is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:02 AM #2
Hookahhead

Hookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really nice
Checking in, excited to see what happens. I expect that cannabis can use some green light, but blue and red are much more critical. Personally, I like the idea of the RGB LEDs run at 100:25:75 respectively.
Hookahhead is offline Quote

Old 01-08-2019, 12:32 AM #3
f-e

f-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nice
I think my lack of blue could be a real issue. A token amount is needed. A sodium gives off enough at our illumination levels, but growing plants under less light (other plants) requires things like the green power, and less still means using the argo with its further addition of blue light. So if I do get growth like a 7w lamp, it will be leggy like it was a 7w amber. Which I have seen done, using sox lamps (low pressure sodium)

I have the popcorn out, hoping I might even grow some more
f-e is offline Quote

Old 01-08-2019, 02:03 AM #4
mayorofthdesert

mayorofthdesert is a name known to allmayorofthdesert is a name known to allmayorofthdesert is a name known to allmayorofthdesert is a name known to allmayorofthdesert is a name known to allmayorofthdesert is a name known to allmayorofthdesert is a name known to allmayorofthdesert is a name known to allmayorofthdesert is a name known to allmayorofthdesert is a name known to allmayorofthdesert is a name known to all
i wonder how mu green light would actually be absorbed & used. the plants reflect green, that's why they look green. i'm sure it does absorb some wavelengths but i'd think a lot gets wasted

The Mayor's Cabinet
mayorofthdesert is offline Quote

Old 01-08-2019, 02:27 AM #5
CannaRed

CannaRed is a splendid one to beholdCannaRed is a splendid one to beholdCannaRed is a splendid one to beholdCannaRed is a splendid one to beholdCannaRed is a splendid one to beholdCannaRed is a splendid one to beholdCannaRed is a splendid one to beholdCannaRed is a splendid one to beholdCannaRed is a splendid one to beholdCannaRed is a splendid one to beholdCannaRed is a splendid one to behold
CannaRed is offline Quote

Old 01-08-2019, 03:25 AM #6
f-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofthdesert View Post
i wonder how mu green light would actually be absorbed & used. the plants reflect green, that's why they look green. i'm sure it does absorb some wavelengths but i'd think a lot gets wasted
PAR graphs suggest maybe 65% less efficiency than red or blue. Recently there has been talk of green light having better canopy penetration because of this lack of interaction. It's not just the story of this 65% bouncing straight back. Though as you have seen, some clearly does.

I have no means to test this. Perhaps a side by side using my 20w green and a 7w full spectrum could lead to a weigh-in of green matter to see how much of the 20 is wasted. I don't expect the same growth pattern, so a weigh-in might be the answer. I'm not legal here though, and don't value that knowledge above my freedom. Not unless I see something interesting over the coming week(s)

I'm pleased to see people are interested. My results alone might be meaningless, but shine a light on something else in the future. Somebodies gotta do it..
f-e is offline Quote

Old 01-08-2019, 04:59 AM #7
Hookahhead

Hookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofthdesert View Post
the plants reflect green, that's why they look green.
This is stated matter of factly so often. In actuality it's a gross over simplification of a complex issue. Unfortunately It's also proven untrue. To see for yourself, go out into the forest and look up at the canopy. You can actually see light passing through the leaves. It's mostly green light that trickles down to the forest floor in this manner, and it has a significant impact on plant growth/regulation. Especially considering this might be the only light a plant receives for most of its life, until a tree falls opening a shaft of strong light. Then the plants have explosive growth to try and out compete others for the precious energy. Green light definitely makes in impact on plants, but it's difficult to establish what the effect is based on the published research. Incidentally, the effects of green light on cannabis are even less understood.
Hookahhead is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:17 AM #8
Ibechillin

Ibechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud ofIbechillin has much to be proud of
The main thing thats been spread around about green light that bothers me is people saying it wont interrupt the plants dark cycle so you can work in the room/on plants during lights off. Good info on light filtration Hookahead, it seems the most efficient use of green light is on the bottom side of leaves.

Here is a link to the study i referenced in the lighting science sticky about green lighting (PDF) download button on right in blue:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile...-are-Green.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Juice View Post
Contemplating how we living under Satan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic82 View Post
Stoner science at its finest in here
The Science Of Grow Lighting (HPS, CMH, LED) & Photosynthesis Explained: (Sticky Thread)
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=358147

The Drying and Cure Process Explained In Depth, Information On Long Term Preservation: (Sticky Thread)
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=358186

Last edited by Ibechillin; 01-08-2019 at 05:40 AM..
Ibechillin is offline Quote

Old 01-08-2019, 07:26 AM #9
Betterhaff

Betterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond reputeBetterhaff has a reputation beyond repute
We used green light in the lab as a safe light when working with sprouts and seedlings (kind of like red light in the dark room). It kept them from producing much chlorophyll. Interested to see your results.
Betterhaff is offline Quote

Old 01-08-2019, 05:15 PM #10
f-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibechillin View Post
The main thing thats been spread around about green light that bothers me is people saying it wont interrupt the plants dark cycle so you can work in the room/on plants during lights off. Good info on light filtration Hookahead, it seems the most efficient use of green light is on the bottom side of leaves.

Here is a link to the study i referenced in the lighting science sticky about green lighting (PDF) download button on right in blue:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile...-are-Green.pdf
I think that was a very long winded paper, telling us red and blue are soon intercepted, while green passes further through the tissue before it to is intercepted. Not because the tissue is layered in any way, it's just there are fewer receptors for the green. Thus the lower tissue is making more use of the green. Not because it favours green, but because that's all that is left.
The forest floor explanation nails it. By the time light reaches the ground, most of the red and blue has gone, leaving the light dominated by the green spectrum. The plants can live on that green. They really want a tree to drop though, to get red and blue.

I did get a sniff of something from that paper. Red and green basically make plant tissue, weight for weight. Blue makes less tissue, because some is used a lot for another interesting process. Flavour.

It was all a bit to deep to be of any use to me, but they also spoke of monochrome green having a different effect when accompanied by white light. Which I had imagined myself. A real test would be a side by side, where a pair of 20w whites illuminate one cutting. In the next bay another cutting gets 20w of white and 20w of green. If enough material is present to use the green up, Then we should see slightly more weight, and less taste. As green like red makes weight, while a comparatively greater proportion of blue goes to taste. Realistically, we probably wouldn't get a conclusive result without running the test many times and summing the results. CMH users report a taste change compared to son, but it's just a change. Not a trade of weight for a greater amount of taste.

Actually.. that's not the green having a different effect. I may need to read that paper fully. Not just skim over it.
f-e is offline Quote