What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can Not Shake This Calcium Deficiency/Lockout For The Life Of Me!! Why???

Bobby Boucher

My cap generator has caused similar issues.

Have you ensured your flames are still burning true blue? Checked your co2 levels with a separate controller?

If unsealing isn’t an option, and disinfectant don’t work.. I’d try switching co2 sources while I checked those bases.

beta

Veteran
yes, you are right, turning it off didn't solve it. I'm guessing fresh air won't either though.

Thinking it has to be disease related at this point.

You aren't thinking straight here, buddy. If the problem is something with the C02 generator, your plants could not breathe. If the problem is your C02 gen, you can only solve this problem by bringing in fresh air or switching to a non-problematic C02 source like canned C02. If you don't, they still. can't. breathe.

Hydro8

My thoughts in the trouble shooting would go to genetics or funk.

Genetics - You mentioned some strains do better then others. Maybe one of your strains has ran it course ? Of has a disease that has just locked into it.

Funk - Could there be any little nook, crack, crevice in your system that is holding funk that is eating all of a nutrient ? Some funk is clear and hard to see or detect.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Could also be being exacerbated by light intensity.. how close is your 1000?

If you're trying to push them really hard any iffy variable could be the straw that breaks the camels back..

gmanwho

Veteran
Co2 burners are funny. i own 5 natural gas burners, few older caps, an a few newer titans. (2 new sentinal ceramic generators on way, waiting to switch out the rusted caps).

I guess its called burning dirty , either 1) theres no exchange of air in the room, then the flame burns the existing oxygen off in the room. then the flame will not burn the nat gas or propane correctly when the oxygen is depleted. leaving an unspent fuel or a byproduct in the air which is poison to the plants.

2) if the nozzles become dirty they wont blend the air an gas correctly at the tip. white chalk like deposits will build up an clog the orifices. again not creating a clean burn. the nozzles should be cleaned every few months. youll be surprised when u see the buildup.

3) if there are oscillating fans or constant air movement partially putting out the flame inside the generator. this will cause the gas not to be fully burnt as well.

each room i set a scrubber an fan to exhaust out of the sealed room. slowly, 24/7. this way it provides smell control by creating a negative pressure in the room, and 2 it refreshes the air. removing any byproducts an replenishing the oxygen for the burner.

best of luck.... it can be frustrating. been there with dirty burners....

DiverDave

Any updated pics?

Only other suggestion would be not let your PH drift quite so high. 6.1 max on hydro for me. I usually readjust down to 5.6 or 5.7 as soon as it hits 6.0, but I never let it get above 6.1. I think 6.5 in hydro is a bit high.

My money is still on the CO2 though.

I agree with the PH swing and nix the CO2 till you get the mix and flush right and tight.
When you think nute lock .. flush and remix making sure your PH is in check.

Keep the photos coming , I like fotos :dance013:

DD

Rabbi

We had similar issues. It ended up being our co2. We unsealed and turned off the burners. Plants that we affected looked alittle better but didn’t fully recover. Our plants looked great when moved over but quickly went down hill, some worse then others. New sets that went in had no issues after unsealing.

Hm, interesting.

Rabbi

My cap generator has caused similar issues.

Have you ensured your flames are still burning true blue? Checked your co2 levels with a separate controller?

If unsealing isn’t an option, and disinfectant don’t work.. I’d try switching co2 sources while I checked those bases.

Yes the flames are clean and blue.

Everything probably does need a good disinfectant. I've been dealing with some pythium issues in my veg(roots submerged in water) but seemingly clears up when moved from veg to flower(roots dangling in air). But perhaps it's too late by then. Anyway going to start using H2o2 and see if that helps at all.

Rabbi

You aren't thinking straight here, buddy. If the problem is something with the C02 generator, your plants could not breathe. If the problem is your C02 gen, you can only solve this problem by bringing in fresh air or switching to a non-problematic C02 source like canned C02. If you don't, they still. can't. breathe.

Ok maybe I'll find a way to bring in fresh air. Problem is that I live in a very cold place in Canada and it's January lol. Although with that being said at least I won't have to worry about bringing in bugs.

Rabbi

My thoughts in the trouble shooting would go to genetics or funk.

Genetics - You mentioned some strains do better then others. Maybe one of your strains has ran it course ? Of has a disease that has just locked into it.

Funk - Could there be any little nook, crack, crevice in your system that is holding funk that is eating all of a nutrient ? Some funk is clear and hard to see or detect.

I'm leaning towards disease at this point. However I've been wrong every time so far, so who knows.

Rabbi

Could also be being exacerbated by light intensity.. how close is your 1000?

If you're trying to push them really hard any iffy variable could be the straw that breaks the camels back..

Yes I considered the lights at one point. They're as high as I get them now, pretty sure it's not the lights.

Rabbi

Co2 burners are funny. i own 5 natural gas burners, few older caps, an a few newer titans. (2 new sentinal ceramic generators on way, waiting to switch out the rusted caps).

I guess its called burning dirty , either 1) theres no exchange of air in the room, then the flame burns the existing oxygen off in the room. then the flame will not burn the nat gas or propane correctly when the oxygen is depleted. leaving an unspent fuel or a byproduct in the air which is poison to the plants.

2) if the nozzles become dirty they wont blend the air an gas correctly at the tip. white chalk like deposits will build up an clog the orifices. again not creating a clean burn. the nozzles should be cleaned every few months. youll be surprised when u see the buildup.

3) if there are oscillating fans or constant air movement partially putting out the flame inside the generator. this will cause the gas not to be fully burn as well.

each room i set a scrubber an fan to exhaust out of the sealed room. slowly, 24/7. this way it provides smell control by creating a negative pressure in the room, and 2 it refreshes the air. removing any byproducts an replenishing the oxygen for the burner.

best of luck.... it can be frustrating. been there with dirty burners....

The burner is fairly new(little over a year old) and is burning clean blue flames. I really don't think it's a co2 or fresh air issue.

Yes, frustrating is an understatement.

Rabbi

I agree with the PH swing and nix the CO2 till you get the mix and flush right and tight.
When you think nute lock .. flush and remix making sure your PH is in check.

Keep the photos coming , I like fotos :dance013:

DD

Yes, I will keep the co2 unplugged until i figure things out.

K I'll take some root pictures tonight as I'm starting to lean towards it being disease related.

Rabbi

Just want to drop a quick thank you to all of you that's been trying to help me. Much appreciated.

Rabbi

Just ordered some "Southern Ag Garden Friendly Fungicide" tonight. It's apparently just a much more concentrated form of "Hydroguard". Hoping I get lucky and it takes care of my issues.

beta

Veteran
You do not have a disease, your plants cannot breathe.

If your C02 burner is malfunctioning, they do not have C02 to breathe. If you aren't bringing in fresh air, they do not have C02 to breathe. There is no C02 entering your garden at any point, and that is a serious problem.

Rabbi

You do not have a disease, your plants cannot breathe.

If your C02 burner is malfunctioning, they do not have C02 to breathe. If you aren't bringing in fresh air, they do not have C02 to breathe. There is no C02 entering your garden at any point, and that is a serious problem.
It's not malfunctioning. Its been unplugged for 2 and a 1/2 weeks now and the difference in my plants has been almost zero.

I totally understand what you're saying but if it really was a co2 issue(toxicity before or now a deficiency), I'd at least see different symptoms.

It's not co2.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Ok I'll try to grab and post some photos tonight sometime. It's honesty rather embarrassing lol. Feeling like amateur hour over here.

That's K from too high a Ph.

Calcium doesn't concentrate on the edges like that. You have burning as K regulates transpiration

Any updated pics?

Only other suggestion would be not let your PH drift quite so high. 6.1 max on hydro for me. I usually readjust down to 5.6 or 5.7 as soon as it hits 6.0, but I never let it get above 6.1. I think 6.5 in hydro is a bit high.

My money is still on the CO2 though.

I'm not sure of the hydro system in use, but the figures look usable in a recirculated environment.

I would mix up some 5.4 Rabbi

If your using calmag because of this problem, it will displace more K from the substrate. You need the calcium and magnesium to move on, to give the K somewhere to hang. Obviously this isn't applicable to DWC. It's a cec issue with coco and expanded clay

beta

Veteran
It's not malfunctioning. Its been unplugged for 2 and a 1/2 weeks now and the difference in my plants has been almost zero.

I totally understand what you're saying but if it really was a co2 issue(toxicity before or now a deficiency), I'd at least see different symptoms.

It's not co2.

Dude, you are not getting this. If your C02 burner is malfunctioning, that does not cause a toxicity of C02. It causes a lack of C02 (the gas plants breathe). If your C02 burner was malfunctioning, your plants had nothing to breathe. Turning the C02 burner off DOES NOT FIX THIS PROBLEM. Turning the C02 burner off leaves you in the exact same situation - The plants have nothing to breathe. Your plants NEED C02 supplementation OR fresh air. One or the other. Plants cannot grow without C02. You have no source of C02.

I honestly don't get why this is so difficult for you to understand.

Rabbi

Dude, you are not getting this. If your C02 burner is malfunctioning, that does not cause a toxicity of C02. It causes a lack of C02 (the gas plants breathe). If your C02 burner was malfunctioning, your plants had nothing to breathe. Turning the C02 burner off DOES NOT FIX THIS PROBLEM. Turning the C02 burner off leaves you in the exact same situation - The plants have nothing to breathe. Your plants NEED C02 supplementation OR fresh air. One or the other. Plants cannot grow without C02. You have no source of C02.

I honestly don't get why this is so difficult for you to understand.

Beta I know you're trying to help and I honestly appreciate it man, thanks bud. Perhaps you haven't read the entire thread? It is getting long now lol.

My co2 generator was hooked up to my co2 meter/controller and set at 1500ppm(and doing as much). 2 and a half weeks ago I unplugged it because it was mentioned in this thread that 1500ppm might be too much(toxicity).

Now you're suggesting that it doesn't have enough(deficient). If the problem was either one of those things I'd at least see different symptoms in the plants themselves.

It's not co2.