Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > Question about worm compost

Thread Title Search
Question about worm compost Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-21-2018, 12:15 PM #1
Big Nasty

Big Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really nice
Question about worm compost

Hi folks,i've got a question about using compost as the main part of a soil mix.My intention is to feed the worms with what i would use as fertilizers for the plants;i'm using raw milk,acid casein extracted with lemon juice,ash,non-mature compost,depleted soil,crushed egg shell,maple syrup,dead yeast,nettle,food waste(no sodium in it),cardboard,etc.
I keep adding worms to the bin(30 lt),both earthworms and red worms and so far they're looking good and it seems they're doing a good job.I plan to try different % in the final mix with a nice organic potting soil, from 80/20 (compost/soil) to 20/80.
What do you guys think?Will I be able to go from seed to harvest this way without top dressing,just water?
I plan to let the worms "cooking" the compost for 2-3 months then start to grow,no bad smells and bugs so far.

Big Nasty is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:27 AM #2
Teddybrae
Irresponsible Hermit

Teddybrae has a brilliant futureTeddybrae has a brilliant futureTeddybrae has a brilliant futureTeddybrae has a brilliant futureTeddybrae has a brilliant futureTeddybrae has a brilliant futureTeddybrae has a brilliant futureTeddybrae has a brilliant futureTeddybrae has a brilliant futureTeddybrae has a brilliant futureTeddybrae has a brilliant future
I don't know a lot about the science of this ... but I have worms in a garden bed chewing madly as I write, hopefully making nutrients in the root zone of my plants. The plants are growing very well and I continue to feed the worms.
Seems to me you will not have to use all of the compost you make ... the end product is very rich ... but you can experiment ... can't you?

The whole modern conception of the world is founded on the illusion that the so-called laws of nature are the explanations of natural phenomena.”

“… even when all possible scientific questions had been answered the problems of life would remain completely untouched” (Wittgenstein)
Teddybrae is offline Quote

Old 12-22-2018, 09:25 AM #3
Big Nasty

Big Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddybrae View Post
I don't know a lot about the science of this ... but I have worms in a garden bed chewing madly as I write, hopefully making nutrients in the root zone of my plants. The plants are growing very well and I continue to feed the worms.
Seems to me you will not have to use all of the compost you make ... the end product is very rich ... but you can experiment ... can't you?
Hi Teddy,the idea is to amend the compost(slowly) rather than the soil mix and use it as both media and fertilizer:it could be too strong hence the different ratios,of course this is an experiment...let's see if it works,the goal is to use mostly garbage and low cost amendments a part from milk.Nothing coming from sea,no manure and shit,i'm not paying more for shit than i would for my own food

Old 01-01-2019, 02:27 AM #4
Sweetdog760

Sweetdog760 will become famous soon enough
Big nasty. I like your idea brotha.

I was thinking the same thing just yesterday. If we assume that the soil is going to be 3 equal parts peat, aeration, and worm castings. Then ideally we would feed all of our amendments directly to the worms. 100 gal of soil would require 33ish gallons of castings. Add the correct proportions of amendments for 100 gal soil.

Amendments could be substituted for things like alfalfa, comfrey, nettle, or whstever really. But that makes it harder to determine the exact amount of nutrients unless you know what a lb of nettle breaks down into.

Then when it's done all u gotta do is mix the aeration, peat, and "super castings" and ur set. You could even put the peat straight in the worm bin since its pretty much void of nutrition with a little extra to account for it breaking down and just mix that 2/3 castings to 1/3 aeration...or something like that.

Anywayz... How's ur project going?
Sweetdog760 is offline Quote

Old 01-01-2019, 04:58 AM #5
Teddybrae
Irresponsible Hermit

Teddybrae has a brilliant futureTeddybrae has a brilliant futureTeddybrae has a brilliant futureTeddybrae has a brilliant futureTeddybrae has a brilliant futureTeddybrae has a brilliant futureTeddybrae has a brilliant futureTeddybrae has a brilliant futureTeddybrae has a brilliant futureTeddybrae has a brilliant futureTeddybrae has a brilliant future
Thinking further ... yes I see your goal. There are recipes around for making worms FAT. I 'm wondering if fat worms have rich poo?

The whole modern conception of the world is founded on the illusion that the so-called laws of nature are the explanations of natural phenomena.”

“… even when all possible scientific questions had been answered the problems of life would remain completely untouched” (Wittgenstein)
Teddybrae is offline Quote

Old 01-01-2019, 12:45 PM #6
Big Nasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetdog760 View Post
Big nasty. I like your idea brotha.

I was thinking the same thing just yesterday. If we assume that the soil is going to be 3 equal parts peat, aeration, and worm castings. Then ideally we would feed all of our amendments directly to the worms. 100 gal of soil would require 33ish gallons of castings. Add the correct proportions of amendments for 100 gal soil.

Amendments could be substituted for things like alfalfa, comfrey, nettle, or whstever really. But that makes it harder to determine the exact amount of nutrients unless you know what a lb of nettle breaks down into.

Then when it's done all u gotta do is mix the aeration, peat, and "super castings" and ur set. You could even put the peat straight in the worm bin since its pretty much void of nutrition with a little extra to account for it breaking down and just mix that 2/3 castings to 1/3 aeration...or something like that.

Anywayz... How's ur project going?
Hi man,i think it's going well.I'm going by the touch as i don't want to build an accurate recipe.I'm incorporating the aeration in the vermicompost as well,sand and char,maybe lava rock too;i'm cutting the compost with a very soft and light potting soil(there also coco in there),the key is to find the right ratio.

Teddy,i read somewhere that high protein food makes the worms grow fatter while high carbon food makes them"horny".
European nightcrwlers grow very fat but their castings are more compact and harder than the red worms ones so a mix of the two should do the trick.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:54 PM #7
Big Nasty

I'm neither a hermit nor H.D. Thoreau but i went to the woods a week ago and found some useful stuff:
wild cow shit,full of seeds

sand from a dry creek,very light,should be good for aeration along with moss

this blueish-gray mold,i don't know what it is but could be useful

and composted material in an area where i usually find mushroom

Old 01-01-2019, 01:03 PM #8
Big Nasty

Then i harvested horsetail,nettle,broom(we call this plant ginestra) and made a tea,i'm using this in my vegetable garden too

acid casein and milk serum,the serum it is now too acidic to feed it to the worms so it goes in another compost compost bin;this casein is really easy to made and is a great and clean source of N and P while the serum is good for Ca and N

I'm starting to see a few worms cocoon in the bin,this should be a good sign,have a nice new year everybody.

Old 01-01-2019, 04:58 PM #9
h.h.

h.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of lighth.h. is a glorious beacon of light
My amendments go straight into the worm bin.

Just be careful of too much protein.

Quote:
it’s mighty sad when average health has declined to the point that people become fatally ill from exposure to a little animal shit.
Solomon, Steve; Reinheimer, Erica (2012-12-04). The Intelligent Gardener: Growing Nutrient Dense Food (p. 271). New Society Publishers. Kindle Edition.
h.h. is offline Quote

Old 01-01-2019, 05:49 PM #10
Big Nasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.h. View Post
My amendments go straight into the worm bin.

Just be careful of too much protein.
Hi h.h so you know for sure what's in the bin,don't you?
How much ewc do you use in the final mix?How long do you let it cook?
I think it can be too hot for seedling stage,i'm trying to guess what would be the right amount.As for protein i add 15 grams at a time,no ammonia smell so far.