What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

plant issues

axle2u

hello folks,

I only have 2 surviving females currently growing,
cherry bomb strain

This is my first time, attempt at growing my own stuff...lol

Just recently the bottom 1/3 rd, of both plants, are droopy looking

The soil is still slightly damp, 1 inch down, so not a water issue
I have sufficient light, and nutrients ( utilizing liquid fertilizers during weekly waterings )

If anyone has any insight and/or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate some of your experience and knowledge, to identify
and correct the issue

picture.php

if these links don't open, check my recent album, for better clarity

thanks a lot guys, and merry Christmas to ya all

-axle robot

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
You say the soil is still slightly damp, but not a water issue. It does appear to be a water issue as in over-watering. Do not water by a schedule "weekly waterings" but by what the plant needs. Hopefully you have a well aerated soil, don't water until it is dry the first couple inches and you can compare the weight of the pot after watering to that of one needing watering until you can judge by soil dryness alone.
Without more info about your soil, temps, age/size of plants, drainage, feedings, etc. it's hard to say for sure but based on the pics alone I say severely over-watered.

axle2u

You say the soil is still slightly damp, but not a water issue. It does appear to be a water issue as in over-watering. Do not water by a schedule "weekly waterings" but by what the plant needs. Hopefully you have a well aerated soil, don't water until it is dry the first couple inches and you can compare the weight of the pot after watering to that of one needing watering until you can judge by soil dryness alone.
Without more info about your soil, temps, age/size of plants, drainage, feedings, etc. it's hard to say for sure but based on the pics alone I say severely over-watered.

thank you,

as I mentioned, im a noob at this

so if my soil is to wet, and I water too much at once a week
I have a difficult time getting my head around that...

only because to me that makes no sense in regards to say hydroponics...

if I was growing hydroponically lets say....hypothetically speaking
would not the roots be submersed in water 24/7...?
and how is that any different from a constant damp soil....?

I am hearing what you say, and thank you for that,
and I will cut back on the watering, immediately based on your comments......however it makes no sense to me.....lol

when I water, I use a tub....some water goes in the tub about 1" in depth, so the roots at the bottom of the pot, can suck it up....

and I pour some water onto the top of the soil....so it gets water from top and bottom into the soil....I do this at night, and by morning the tub is bone dry.....being sucked up from the bottom of my 2 pots

I thought this would be the best approach....and all was going quite well, until recently...

is there any way to correct this any faster....?

thanks again,

axle robot

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
*SNIP
if I was growing hydroponically lets say....hypothetically speaking
would not the roots be submersed in water 24/7...?
and how is that any different from a constant damp soil....?
In a hydro system, the roots are constantly being oxygenated. Not so in soil and, stop bottom watering. Use a moisture meter if you must until you are capable in comparing "pot weight" against the need to water. Simple test... stand in a bathtub with 4" of water for hours on end. How happy are you right now? You may be lucky to last one hour.

thailer

try watering 10% of the volume of the container. so if the pot is 10 gallons, then give the plant 1 gallon.

i noticed when i looked at your pics that are posted in this thread that they look over watered but when i go to your album for a better view, the tops of the soil are bone dry and the plants are pretty big for the size of container.

you also keep mentioning you only water once a week. am i reading that right?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
try watering 10% of the volume of the container. so if the pot is 10 gallons, then give the plant 1 gallon.

i noticed when i looked at your pics that are posted in this thread that they look over watered but when i go to your album for a better view, the tops of the soil are bone dry and the plants are pretty big for the size of container.

bottom feeding/watering creates a soggy root zone, regardless of what the top looks like, and yes, watering once a week is not frequent enough.

thailer

bottom feeding/watering creates a soggy root zone, regardless of what the top looks like, and yes, watering once a week is not frequent enough.

i realize that bottom feeding creates a soggy root zone but people who usually have problems with this are constantly leaving water in the bottom and if the plants are sucking it up over night, then maybe the soil needs hydration due to the lack of watering because if the soil was saturated enough to cause the lack of oxygen in the root zone/soggy soil, there should be excess water left over due to the field capacity of water being more than the soil can literally soak up when he goes to check on it.

even if he super soaks the pots and over waters them on let's say, Sunday which is what he is doing, he is not watering frequently enough so the roots aren't soggy for very long before drying out, then more time goes by before he waters again. if peat or coir is left to dry out too much, then it's harder for water to get to the center of the root ball a week later because it's become hydrophobic. the plants are four times higher than the height of the pot so i can only assume that the roots are pretty established and need water frequently.

axle2u

yup...I was once a week
and im gonna be transplanting again, into bigger pots
and yes, top of soil is dry....but pushing finger down, you hit moisture about 1-1.5" down...

axle2u

i realize that bottom feeding creates a soggy root zone but people who usually have problems with this are constantly leaving water in the bottom and if the plants are sucking it up over night, then maybe the soil needs hydration due to the lack of watering because if the soil was saturated enough to cause the lack of oxygen in the root zone/soggy soil, there should be excess water left over due to the field capacity of water being more than the soil can literally soak up when he goes to check on it.

even if he super soaks the pots and over waters them on let's say, Sunday which is what he is doing, he is not watering frequently enough so the roots aren't soggy for very long before drying out, then more time goes by before he waters again. if peat or coir is left to dry out too much, then it's harder for water to get to the center of the root ball a week later because it's become hydrophobic. the plants are four times higher than the height of the pot so i can only assume that the roots are pretty established and need water frequently.

so what im getting from this...
is water more frequently, but much less of it...
and from the top only....let it drain out the bottom
is that correct...?

thanks,

axle robot

thailer

is that correct...?

thanks,

axle robot

correct.

if you grab a handful of your dirt that is what you think is a desirable moisture level and squeeze it, water shouldn't drip out. here's a pic of what i'm talking about. the top two pics show way too much moisture and the bottom two are what you want to see.

picture.php

ten percent is a good amount to water with. lift the pot and feel how heavy it is before your transplant again. put it aside and then leave it till the next day and lift the pot again. it should be a little lighter in weight. then the next day after that, lift the pot again. you should notice the weight decreasing over time. if you pic up the pot and it feels very light, then that is probably too dry.

as the plant roots fill up the pot, you'll need to water more often. be sure to lift the pot before you water it and remember that it's ok to let it wait a little longer as long as the plant looks ok. once you get more familiar with it, you won't have to lift the pots.

axle2u

correct.

if you grab a handful of your dirt that is what you think is a desirable moisture level and squeeze it, water shouldn't drip out. here's a pic of what i'm talking about. the top two pics show way too much moisture and the bottom two are what you want to see.

View Image

ten percent is a good amount to water with. lift the pot and feel how heavy it is before your transplant again. put it aside and then leave it till the next day and lift the pot again. it should be a little lighter in weight. then the next day after that, lift the pot again. you should notice the weight decreasing over time. if you pic up the pot and it feels very light, then that is probably too dry.

as the plant roots fill up the pot, you'll need to water more often. be sure to lift the pot before you water it and remember that it's ok to let it wait a little longer as long as the plant looks ok. once you get more familiar with it, you won't have to lift the pots.

thank you pal...
great info...

axle robot

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yup...I was once a week
and im gonna be transplanting again, into bigger pots
and yes, top of soil is dry....but pushing finger down, you hit moisture about 1-1.5" down...

If transplanting soon, add perlite to help roots aerate.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Axle2u, You know what the wet cycle looks like. Vegging plants like wet to dry cycles! If you use a measuring cup each time you water, you can tune in better. Also, In the beginning, you can use a bathroom scale to weigh the wet and dry pots so you can learn the difference and tune in better. If I may recommend, Use a 1000 ml measuring cup, and a turkey baster! Water with them.

Last edited:

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You are watering not often enough and when too much of it. That often happens when you are lazy and don't look for them frequently enough. Plants should get a daily dose, given they are consuming it. At least visit them daily to be able to react timely. Bottom feeding like you do it lets them soak up too much. Don't water for days in advance!

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
is that correct...?

thanks,

axle robot

No it's not neccessarily good to let water run off the bottom because there are two possibilities where this can happen. One is when the soil is too dry and cannot hold the water at all so it runs simply through it without being absorbed. The other case is when you water so much that the soil is saturated with moisture so the excess water runs off. Both is bad. So your assumption is wrong.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What medium are you growing in?

Flip the plant out of the pot and inspect the roots. Post a picture if you can.

Transplanting typically compounds problems unless you understand the issue and act accordingly.

Watering by scale is not a bad idea but if you do not train your hand it becomes a crutch.

Bottom watering can be helpful but can also oversaturate the medium.

When you do water again, afterwards, lift one side of the pot with one hand a little off the ground. This is "100%" (or perhaps 110% if you are overdoing it). As the pot dries over the week lift it daily until it feels roughly 1/3 lighter. Now water.

Last edited:

axle2u

ok, so next question folks,

what causes leaf tips to curl down
is it still too much water issue ?

btw, just recently transplanted betty and veronica,
from 10" pots to bigger, deeper, 12" pots
they seem to be happy...

thanks,

axle robot

thailer

ok, so next question folks,

what causes leaf tips to curl down
is it still too much water issue ?

btw, just recently transplanted betty and veronica,
from 10" pots to bigger, deeper, 12" pots
they seem to be happy...

thanks,

axle robot

a picture really helps. be sure to get a whole plant with the pot picture. probably over watered and transplant shock.

axle2u

a picture really helps. be sure to get a whole plant with the pot picture. probably over watered and transplant shock.

I havnt forgot....lol
im working on getting fixed up, ive transplanted already
and going to take pictures over the weekend, to update posting

its near Christmas time, and time crunch is on....lol
but stay tuned my friend,

although im not out of the woods yet,
thanks again for everyones help....I really appreciate it, a lot

best regards,

axle b. robot