Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Toker's Den > Anyone here familiar with Santa Barbara, California?

Thread Title Search
Anyone here familiar with Santa Barbara, California? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-30-2018, 01:19 AM #11
Ringodoggie

Ringodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud of
Wow, thanks so much for all the feedback.

Thanks VTA, I was wondering why it got so cheap as I headed towards Oxnard. Santa Ynez looks very nice. It definitely just went on the 'visit me' list.

Phatty, I remember Santa Maria from the last time we were there. And, we stayed in SLO for a while. The wife loved Pismo Beach.

Thanks again for all the input, gang. It's really helping me to think this through before I make too many mistakes. LOL

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:08 AM #12
St. Phatty

St. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringodoggie View Post
Wow, thanks so much for all the feedback.

Thanks VTA, I was wondering why it got so cheap as I headed towards Oxnard. Santa Ynez looks very nice. It definitely just went on the 'visit me' list.

Phatty, I remember Santa Maria from the last time we were there. And, we stayed in SLO for a while. The wife loved Pismo Beach.

Thanks again for all the input, gang. It's really helping me to think this through before I make too many mistakes. LOL.
There's a Motel 6 in both Pismo & Santa Maria. Maybe 1 or 2 in each town.

If you want a room with a bath tub, sometimes you have to rent one of the wheelchair accessible rooms.

People camp on those dunes all the time. Maybe a camping permit is all it takes to not get hassled for camping. $10 a day. Could it be so easy ?

Given how nice it is there, I figure there has to be a catch. Or there'd be 10,000 people living on the dunes in Pismo. Maybe 100,000.

Heck, you can use human poop as crab bait, I think.

There, I just cured the homeless problem. Just give them tents & sleeping bags and permission to feed their turds to the crabs & lobsters off the central coast.

I've lived near Market & Van Ness in SF, about as downtown as you could get. I never saw people pooping or people castings piled on the sidewalk.

It sounds as if they closed the bathrooms - or there are just a LOT more homeless people in SF.

I think it helps to have a vehicle where you can get to the back without leaving the cab and crawling through a camper shell door. A van.

I camped in SF for 5 weeks once looking for an apartment, and had to be a fvcking ninja to not be seen lifting the hatch & crawling in.

A 30 Degree day feels like a 40 Degree Day

(Degrees F)
St. Phatty is offline Quote

Old 11-30-2018, 10:49 AM #13
St. Phatty

St. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivor
If you're travelling in the winter, you have more options.

You can probably get a camping place at Seaside in Cardiff.

Between Encinitas & Solana Beach. There used to be a pay camping ground there.

(Degrees F)

Old 12-02-2018, 05:06 PM #14
Bobby Boucher

Bobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of light
Santa Barbara is one of the only places in cali, outside of SD county, that I really enjoyed.

The people of San Diego though are just so friendly and cosmopolitain.. Something about being surrounded by crime on all sides I think keeps the people very tight-nit, regardless of color or creed.

The hispanics all seem very driven to submerge themselves into our culture and language, while the anglo's seem very driven to embrace their neighbors latin culture and language.

It's pretty cute. I miss it every day. Here in Chicago "cultural diversity" is something you see in the street, not something we really practice in our hearts. Most of the 1st gen immigrants I run into here would rather face a firing squad than try and submerge themselves into our culture. And thats cool too, just saying.. SD is a very friendly and open-minded place.
Bobby Boucher is online now Quote

Old 12-02-2018, 05:32 PM #15
pop_rocks

pop_rocks has a reputation beyond reputepop_rocks has a reputation beyond reputepop_rocks has a reputation beyond reputepop_rocks has a reputation beyond reputepop_rocks has a reputation beyond reputepop_rocks has a reputation beyond reputepop_rocks has a reputation beyond reputepop_rocks has a reputation beyond reputepop_rocks has a reputation beyond reputepop_rocks has a reputation beyond reputepop_rocks has a reputation beyond repute
lots of great replies here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Phatty View Post
If you're travelling in the winter, you have more options.

You can probably get a camping place at Seaside in Cardiff.

Between Encinitas & Solana Beach. There used to be a pay camping ground there.
its still there but availability can be tough, call ahead and reserve a spot if you plan on visiting
its a great place to camp

i agree with b.boucher
san diego has a very friendly vibe and is a great place to visit
lots of fun things to do and see, plus some of the best ethnic foods you will ever eat!
/the mexican and asian food here are top notch
pop_rocks is offline Quote

Old 12-02-2018, 06:22 PM #16
packerfan79

packerfan79 is a survivorpackerfan79 is a survivorpackerfan79 is a survivorpackerfan79 is a survivorpackerfan79 is a survivorpackerfan79 is a survivorpackerfan79 is a survivorpackerfan79 is a survivorpackerfan79 is a survivorpackerfan79 is a survivorpackerfan79 is a survivor
I worked at UCSB for a few weeks. We stayed in Carpenteria due to no rooms available around Santa Barbara (spring break). Carpenteria was nice, but no nightlife. The whole town shuts down at 8 o'clock.

I really liked SLO when we were there. Santa Maria was pretty ghetto. Pismo beach is a great place. Small town feel.
packerfan79 is online now Quote

Old 12-03-2018, 01:13 AM #17
St. Phatty

Here's a picture from some article about the wildfire refugees, that was in today's news.

This shows an area where they are arranging housing for the people who lost homes in the Redding and Paradise fires.

Sort of, inside the shaded area, you can't travel so easily without motel reservations, like you could all of time till a few years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	920x920 (1).jpg
Views:	90
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	478673

(Degrees F)

Old 12-04-2018, 01:23 AM #18
Ringodoggie

Ringodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud of
Thanks again, everyone so much for all the input. I am starting to narrow it down.

It is between 2 landing zones... San Diego proper. Or, what someone above referred to as 'the central coast'. That's from like Pismo/Monterey to Ventura.

It sure is beautiful in that central coast area. And, it is more.... well, central. So, as I troll around the state to see where I like best, coming back to the landing zone will always be convenient. More so than San Diego.

However, San Diego has a lot to offer in terms of cheaper places to stay and other conveniences.

I am going to fly out a few times between now and then and spend a week in several different locations to try to narrow t down.

Looks like all this change is a little too much for my narrow (in mind only) wife of 40 years so it looks like I'll be leaving her behind. Kind of sad but I refuse to stay in Depression, Ohio another day.

I suppose they have women in California that like twisted old men with lots of money???

Again, thanks so much for all the input. It really is helpful more than you may know.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:32 AM #19
Bobby Boucher

Bobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of light
If you are looking for something more affordable in SD county, Escondido is bad ass. I felt more welcome there than anywhere else. If you have the money though, La Jolla is astounding. Downtown is downtown. Quaint, but it ain't as quaint as La Jolla, and costs roughly the same.

This reminds me how badly I need a vacation.
Bobby Boucher is online now Quote

Old 12-16-2018, 08:10 PM #20
Ringodoggie

Well, I think I have finally made a decision between San Diego and Santa Barbara.

There is so much more available for housing and so many choices of where to live in SD. And, I imagine the weather is slightly better since it's further South. However, everything I liked was in a crowded area (Downtown or beachfront) and I am going to have my dog. So, staying in a 5th floor apartment or condo, or anything right on the street, is definitely going to be more hassle in terms of the dog. And, I'm not sure about the rules and regs of walking your dog on city streets in downtown SD. I imagine there are plenty. LOL

In Santa Barbara, there is less to choose from but the options are much better suited for the dog. Most of what is available to rent is a house, rather than a condo or apartment. Many with a little fenced yard for the dog.

And, Santa Barbara was such a quaint little town. I really fell in love with it last time I was there.

So..... Santa Barbara it is. Well, actually, central coast would be more accurate. I am good with anything from Pismo to Ventura.

I would love to hear about any place to avoid in that range but from what I can tell, it's all good from Pismo to Ventura.

Also, if anyone has rentals or knows of anything special, we will be coming out in Spring of next year. I'll be out once or twice between now and then to scope out rentals but in Spring we will be coming out to stay.

Thanks again for all the input. It's really been a big help.