Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Indoor Grows - Hydro > What PH meter would you recommend?

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
What PH meter would you recommend? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-31-2018, 03:29 AM #51
f-e

f-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nice
I had to check my meter after the nitric acid seemed a bit weak. it claimed the 4 was 4.2 and the 7 was 6.9 So at 5.5 where I use it, it's 0.1 off. The same as about a year ago. So again, I won't bother to re-calibrate. It's been like that since before any of my current plants arrived.

Everyone I know that kills meters, does so themselves. They claim othewise, but in time I catch them leaving lids off 'just while I do whatever' they say. But there is never an excuse to walk away. These are the people that leave the milk out, and roll a joint forgetting they already have one. They will always bust meters.

Sometimes it's the meter... Sometimes.

Couple of flicks with the wrist, and get the cap back on. Straight away.
f-e is online now Quote

Old 01-31-2019, 07:12 PM #52
Rab.C

Rab.C is just really niceRab.C is just really niceRab.C is just really niceRab.C is just really niceRab.C is just really niceRab.C is just really niceRab.C is just really niceRab.C is just really niceRab.C is just really niceRab.C is just really niceRab.C is just really nice
i have liquid ph drop kit but was going to buy ph meter are they more accurate than
ph liquid drop kits
Rab.C is online now Quote

Old 01-31-2019, 09:19 PM #53
LostTribe

LostTribe has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab.C View Post
i have liquid ph drop kit but was going to buy ph meter are they more accurate than
ph liquid drop kits
GH liquid drops always gave me good results. I used them for 2 years straight after my 20 year old Milwaukee pen shot crap, then got a blue lab pen.

I like the blue lab pen but it takes a longer than the old Milwaukee to level out to the correct ph. It stays pretty accurate without needing to be calibrated for long periods too.

Also I believe the glass probe is beefier and replaceable should you have issues with it. The probe shattered on my Milwaukee.

C99 The Ultimate Search and Rescue Mission
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=334331

Treating Cancer with Concentrates
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=301121
LostTribe is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:07 PM #54
TanzanianMagic

TanzanianMagic is a jewel in the roughTanzanianMagic is a jewel in the roughTanzanianMagic is a jewel in the roughTanzanianMagic is a jewel in the roughTanzanianMagic is a jewel in the roughTanzanianMagic is a jewel in the roughTanzanianMagic is a jewel in the roughTanzanianMagic is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tentgrower View Post
I'm looking for a more reliable PH meter and am considering a Blue Lab Combo Meter Plus. It's a little spendy but I'm tired of $50 meters failing after 3-6 months with proper care and need something more reliable. I just had a bad experience with Hanna Instruments and wound up returning 2 PH meters in a row @ $98 each due to drifting readings and slow response time. I no longer have faith in Hanna making a solid product and am leaning strongly toward the Blue Lab.

A shop near me sells them and will personally warranty a replacement in the store if the unit fails within 5 years. The probe is only warrantied for 6 months, but that seems fair. $226 out the door. Is it really worth the cheddar or is Blue Lab just over hyped and over priced?

What do you guys think? I'm buying on Friday...

Thanks!
The advantage of a cheap meter is that they are very easy to replace. It's better to buy 2 $30 meters that 1 $60 one.

This is more than enough for most grows, the most expensive one is $15,58, for which you get 2 digitals behind the dot, and even automatic temperature adjustment.

https://www.chinahao.com/product/19144857293/

Not connected to the company in any way, it's just the pH pen I've been using for years.
TanzanianMagic is offline Quote

Old 02-01-2019, 01:53 AM #55
LostTribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzanianMagic View Post
The advantage of a cheap meter is that they are very easy to replace. It's better to buy 2 $30 meters that 1 $60 one.

This is more than enough for most grows, the most expensive one is $15,58, for which you get 2 digitals behind the dot, and even automatic temperature adjustment.

https://www.chinahao.com/product/19144857293/

Not connected to the company in any way, it's just the pH pen I've been using for years.
Those Chinese meters for under $30 are crap. Don't throw away your money when you can have something that will last 20 years like my old Milwaukee.

I paid $65 for the blue lab and its 4 years old only calibrated recently.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:45 AM #56
Mikell
Dipshit Know-Nothing

Mikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Watt View Post
Short of continous monitoring (with digital record) I'll stick to the drops - 800 tests really is just 200 for me (cos I do it 4x). So I made the drop and sample size smaller - because pH test fluid is also not cheap @ $18oz($13usd) a bottle.

Finally, the pH colour code on the Flairform bottle varies and some are too dark, like when you use too many drops, ----- at the correct levels a pH of 6 is light yellow (NO orange) and pH6.1 has a tiny green tint
The 8oz GH refill is around 40.
Mikell is offline Quote

Old 02-01-2019, 09:46 AM #57
f-e

f-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeWcS View Post
I use these for ph and ec. Was sick of buying Bluelabs once a year. Now if I have an issue I just have to buy a new probe. Not a new meter all the time.
As stated, you can also get a cheapo meter. Just get calibration solution to check it.
The key is storing your meter properly. I always store my pH pen in 4.01ph solution. It never dries out(which is the #1 reasons pens go bad)and always is cal'd
https://smile.amazon.com/Milwaukee-p.../dp/B007Z4HZ8O
Careful dunking those one's. They call them waterproof, but they're not. The spec says you can hose them down, but the screens often leak. My LHS was asking the price of a tip, for the whole meter.

Amazon have the usual $10 bargain looking meters, but seem to want $60 for the $30 stuff sold on eBay. It's the bigger is better attitude. Where the most expensive of 3 items, is thought to be the best. I would be careful there.

For years I have wanted to try an Omega meter, but mine just won't break. Omega are not a hydro brand. The better meter is £130 and new tips are £50. It's a proper long glass thing though. It's real. With 0.8 second response time. It's not the one I need though. £90 gets the typical meter that can be held underwater, a full meter deep for half hour. New tip £35. Plastics that look like hdpe, not something that will either melt or shatter.
The £130 meter has an rs232 socket, and about £300 gets a data logging meter.
The £90 meter has been on that site about a decade that I know of. It can't be bad. But what I really like about there meters... AAA batteries. Even the £40 meter uses them.

8oz of fluid would outlast me lol
f-e is online now Quote

Old 02-01-2019, 01:53 PM #58
Rab.C

Rab.C is just really niceRab.C is just really niceRab.C is just really niceRab.C is just really niceRab.C is just really niceRab.C is just really niceRab.C is just really niceRab.C is just really niceRab.C is just really niceRab.C is just really niceRab.C is just really nice
f-e omega a uk company i am after a ph meter
Rab.C is online now Quote

Old 02-01-2019, 06:49 PM #59
Bobby Boucher

Bobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of light
Y’all some cheapskates.

Blue lab is already suspiciously inexpensive for what it claims to be. Buy one and be glad that it works.
Bobby Boucher is online now Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:19 AM #60
LostTribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Boucher View Post
Y’all some cheapskates.

Blue lab is already suspiciously inexpensive for what it claims to be. Buy one and be glad that it works.
Blue Lab is a Kiwi company in NZ I believe too. I sure trust Kiwi's and Aussies much more than ChiCom Crap off some cheap skate con artist with no warranty off the webernets.

My Milwaukee was like $150 way back the BL was $65 and has already lasted 4 years vs the 20 from the Milwaukee.

I hear people buying one or two of those crap no brand meters then they can't figure out what's wrong with their grow ie because the new meter is a worthless POS.

I would take the GH drops over a cheap o meter any day of the week. At least you know the drops are not going to give you an incorrect reading.

You get what you pay for.

LT