Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Indoor Grows - Hydro > What PH meter would you recommend?

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
What PH meter would you recommend? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-13-2018, 03:56 AM #1
tentgrower

tentgrower is on a distinguished road
What PH meter would you recommend?

I'm looking for a more reliable PH meter and am considering a Blue Lab Combo Meter Plus. It's a little spendy but I'm tired of $50 meters failing after 3-6 months with proper care and need something more reliable. I just had a bad experience with Hanna Instruments and wound up returning 2 PH meters in a row @ $98 each due to drifting readings and slow response time. I no longer have faith in Hanna making a solid product and am leaning strongly toward the Blue Lab.

A shop near me sells them and will personally warranty a replacement in the store if the unit fails within 5 years. The probe is only warrantied for 6 months, but that seems fair. $226 out the door. Is it really worth the cheddar or is Blue Lab just over hyped and over priced?

What do you guys think? I'm buying on Friday...

Thanks!

Last edited by Palindrome; 11-21-2018 at 12:02 AM..
tentgrower is offline Quote

Old 11-13-2018, 03:58 AM #2
tentgrower

tentgrower is on a distinguished road
Wow sorry about that. I copied this post from another forum and pasted but it kept showing up blank. I guess it pasted after all...
tentgrower is offline Quote

Old 11-13-2018, 05:41 AM #3
Earlmarne

Earlmarne is a glorious beacon of lightEarlmarne is a glorious beacon of lightEarlmarne is a glorious beacon of lightEarlmarne is a glorious beacon of lightEarlmarne is a glorious beacon of lightEarlmarne is a glorious beacon of lightEarlmarne is a glorious beacon of lightEarlmarne is a glorious beacon of lightEarlmarne is a glorious beacon of lightEarlmarne is a glorious beacon of lightEarlmarne is a glorious beacon of light
After running a few middle of the road( under 100) meters I started picking up the 5 dollar ones off ebay a few at a time and a bottle of calibration liquid. Dang things last as long as the spendy ones.
Earlmarne is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:47 AM #4
Lrus007

Lrus007 is a name known to allLrus007 is a name known to allLrus007 is a name known to allLrus007 is a name known to allLrus007 is a name known to allLrus007 is a name known to allLrus007 is a name known to allLrus007 is a name known to allLrus007 is a name known to allLrus007 is a name known to allLrus007 is a name known to all
i had worst luck with them. few returns many fluids ect.
know what my PH is on everything now so is not needed.
but i got the test strips worked very well. dip look and toss.
just a thought and would be cheaper.
Lrus007
My therapist says I am a habitual liar and an attention seeker, therefore nothing I say/write is true and under no circumstances should I be believed nor held accountable for anything I say. all photo's are paintings

admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof
Lrus007 is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:56 AM #5
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
Jellas. $16 off amazon.

It comes with 4 and 7 calibration powder packets for mixing your own calibration solution. Drifts about .2 points in around 6 months time. If you get a bad one, the company will ship you a new one with great customer service.
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:20 PM #6
Gazoo31

Gazoo31 has a spectacular aura aboutGazoo31 has a spectacular aura aboutGazoo31 has a spectacular aura about
Personally I’d try a cheapie. I’ve had blue lab and Hanna. Drops are more reliable than either. I’d prefer blue lab over Hanna if it would hold calibration longer but I get about 4-5 uses before it’s off .1.
Gazoo31 is offline Quote

Old 11-13-2018, 10:01 PM #7
Bobby Boucher

Bobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of lightBobby Boucher is a glorious beacon of light
I haven't found much difference between the $5-$150 pens. They work. Using and maintaining them however was too monotonous an endeavor for me to try and keep up with every day.

I bought myself a bluelab wall mounted continuous monitor/doser after my neck started failing on me and it feels like it has cut my workload in half. $350 was a small price to pay the convenience. No rinsing, no storage solutions, no capping, no manual ph adjustments, no kneeling around for what felt like forever waiting for the pens to pick up a reading.. Would have saved me a lot of time, money, and neck ache on the backend if I bought 'er when I set up instead of having to cycle through every different brand of pen out there after either dropping them or letting them dry out.

Just my 2 cents.
Bobby Boucher is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:43 PM #8
frostqueen

frostqueen is just really nicefrostqueen is just really nicefrostqueen is just really nicefrostqueen is just really nicefrostqueen is just really nicefrostqueen is just really nicefrostqueen is just really nicefrostqueen is just really nicefrostqueen is just really nicefrostqueen is just really nicefrostqueen is just really nice
I've bought quite a few ph pens in the last 15 years. Expensive Bluelabs and Hannas, etcetera. The best pen I've ever had is one of these. I was going to just use it as a standby, but it has lasted two and a half years now and still soldiers on. My Bluelab, on the other hand, took a shit in six months, and my Hannas never made it a year without new electrodes... which cost more than the entire cheapo pen does. If you want to treat yourself to a fancy expensive meter by all means do so. But in my experience it's really not worth it.

Here's the thing: ANY piece of shit ph pen will work just fine, unless you have automated your system and need constant ph monitoring. The only thing you need to be sure to do is quickly check to see that it is still calibrated. I do a quick dip into 7ph testing solution to make sure; it takes less than 30 seconds. It stays really consistent and accurate with this shit-pen. I make a slight adjustment every few weeks via a screw in the side of the meter.

TL;DR: if you put a crappy ph pen into calibrating solution and it says 7, it's just as accurate as a Bluelab that says 7.

Just my experience. YMMV.
frostqueen is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:00 AM #9
OakyJoe
OGJoe

OakyJoe has much to be proud ofOakyJoe has much to be proud ofOakyJoe has much to be proud ofOakyJoe has much to be proud ofOakyJoe has much to be proud ofOakyJoe has much to be proud ofOakyJoe has much to be proud ofOakyJoe has much to be proud ofOakyJoe has much to be proud ofOakyJoe has much to be proud ofOakyJoe has much to be proud of
OakyJoe has completed 1 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlmarne View Post
After running a few middle of the road( under 100) meters I started picking up the 5 dollar ones off ebay a few at a time and a bottle of calibration liquid. Dang things last as long as the spendy ones.
just grabbed an auto calibrating one with solutions for under 10 bux which i tested next to my Hanna ones... works fine

luposolitario: when the devil caresses you wants something

WHIPEDMEAT: only dumbs clone from 12/12

When you was inside watching Netflix
I was in the crop house wiring electrics

Sometimes people get more high on stories than plants

Das maximale Volumen subterraner Agrarprodukte ist reziprok proportional zur intellektuellen Kapazität des Produzenten

Life is better than you can even imagine.
Life is everything.
Life is love.

I'm free from your spell
Oh I'm free, free, free now
I'm free from your spell
And now that it's all over
All I can do is wish you well
  • Plants require 18 essential nutrients to grow and survive, classified by their importance into macronutrients (C, H, O, N, P, K, Ca, Mg, S) and micronutrients (B, Cu, Fe, Mn, Zn, Mo, Cl, Co, Ni). Study Tip!
  • Nutrients may be mobile or immobile in the plant and in the soil, which influences redistribution of nutrients and display of deficiency symptoms, and the fertilization of crops.
OakyJoe is offline Quote

Old 11-14-2018, 12:02 AM #10
Mikell
Dipshit Know-Nothing

Mikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond repute
Used the Bluelab combo for 5 years of continuous use. The only issue was a probe and that was my fault.

Their support sucks balls (from when I used pens) but they are otherwise reliable.

Drops or paper are solid. Good to have them around if something goes fucky.
Mikell is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.